What's new

Aftershave Hall of Shame

What are the good ones?

I've got 50+ bottles of splash, including many on your list, and Proraso green is the only one I don't like. Eau de Vicks VapoRub.

La Toja, Some Myrsols, Clubman Vanilla, DR Harris, Honeybee Gardens, Tuff, CCH Tobacco, Old Spice, Lea Classic, Alvarez Gomez, 4711, Lucido, Mandom, Tabac Classic and Man, Some Arko, Penhaligon, Klar, Trumpers, Olimon, Barbus and a few more

Virgin Islands Bay Rum

makes your face feel like the Sahara desert. It's like a general store puked in a bottle. That scent flies in 24 different directions and my wife hates it.

I'm adding Folsom Shambayalallala or whatever it's called to the list. Got a bottle for myself for Christmas after reading some reviews online. Took one whiff and put it under the sink, ie the dump.

Pinaud Special Reserve. I opened the bottle and it reminded me of a drunk uncle that I had growing up that spilled alcohol all over himself and never washed off. Ever. I tried Special Reserve twice, thinking the scent would change to something that had to be more pleasant. It didn't. It actually got worse.

I dumped it into the commode and flushed, which made my house smell like said drunk uncle for several hours. I'm just grateful that it dissipated before my fiancée got home.

Pinaud Special Reserve is the #1 repulsive aftershave I can think of for me. It smelled kind of dirty to me. Someone suggested it had a tobacco scent, but if it does, it's more like the smell of cigarette smoke than anything like pipe tobacco.

Brut. It just smells too powerful. I have some Barbasol Brisk that smells like a watered down version of Brut. I've worn the Brisk a few times, but by the end of the day it is kind of making me sick.
Amen. I taught at a school where the headmaster wore Brut. If you shook his hand before 10 AM your hand smelled like Brut all day. It started to wear off him around 10, but if you caught him early it was brutal. (See what I did there?)

Pinaud Clubman.
There, I said it.

I have two huge bottles. I want so badly to love it. But every time I apply Clubman, I wind up washing it off within an hour.

I'm still hoping I'll evolve.

On the other hand, SWMBO love Skin Bracer, so I have an alternate designated old man scent.

I know its popular around here, but Aqua Velva to me smells like condensed blue Gatorade spiked with baby powder. I sampled a bottle at the grocery store, and not even 4 consecutive reps of hand washing would rid me of that stench.

I know what you mean... I got some of the Ice Blue. It's only 2.99, so why bother opening the bottle in the store, right? Why bother smelling it before you slather it on your face right before you leave for work? It's the kind of stench that gives me a headache after a few minutes.

Never again.

I know what you mean... I got some of the Ice Blue. It's only 2.99, so why bother opening the bottle in the store, right? Why bother smelling it before you slather it on your face right before you leave for work? It's the kind of stench that gives me a headache after a few minutes.

Never again.

Agreed. I was going to explore drugstore scents, and this was the first one I tried. AV is just so unnatural and potent at the same time it made me sick. I decided to go upmarket after that. One of these days I'll try out clubman though.

Agreed. I was going to explore drugstore scents, and this was the first one I tried. AV is just so unnatural and potent at the same time it made me sick. I decided to go upmarket after that. One of these days I'll try out clubman though.

These kinds of reviews are what I love about this forum. My favorite aftershaves include upscales like Wm Neumann, Myrsol, PAA, Floid, among others--and Aqua Velva. What am I missing?

These kinds of reviews are what I love about this forum. My favorite aftershaves include upscales like Wm Neumann, Myrsol, PAA, Floid, among others--and Aqua Velva. What am I missing?

I really wanted to like Wm. Neumann, but something in their aftershave base just doesn't agree with me. Neumann is nice stuff, just not for me. My faves at the moment are DR Harris Sandalwood and St. James Black Pepper and Lime. I can certainly see how some people wouldn't like the DR Harris Sandalwood, but I love the stuff.

So far for me - Lime SEC, Florida water, Fine American Blend (only AS that gave me a headache and lasts over 12 hours)

Top Bottom