What's new

Aftershave gels vs. balms

I was looking for a travel-size aftershave balm and ended up buying 4 1-oz aftershaves from Nancy Boy, figuring I'd try out all 4 since it was flat rate shipping. 2 are balms, 2 are gels. I like the balms (especially signature scent; blossomwood is more blossom and less wood, I'd kinda prefer it the other way around), but the gels are gooey and leave my skin feeling almost sticky after.

My question is, am I using the gels right? Are they meant to be used the same as a balm? I typically wait a few minutes after I towel dry my face then come back and apply the balm/gel. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if I just don't care much for gels, or at least these gels.

I use gels the same way you do. Truth be told, I found the Nancy Boy gels to be a little sticky myself. I think it may just be the nature of the beast.

I use gels the same way you do. Truth be told, I found the Nancy Boy gels to be a little sticky myself. I think it may just be the nature of the beast.
Cool, thanks. Just wanted to be sure I was using it right before deciding it’s not for me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Try leaving your face DAMP, not wet, and applying a lesser amount of the gels. It has helped me. (You are basically just diluting it) yes, you can call me Mr Obvious!
I use WH first, and then immediately use the balm. I also agree with trying a little less product. I had some Castle Forbes balm that was great stuff and only required 2 or 3 drops, but if I used 4 drops my face felt greasy the rest of the day (and the residue could be found on my cell phone). One of the reasons I now use Clinique Moisturizer is that it blends into the face very quickly and leaves none of that greasy feeling.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use WH first, and then immediately use the balm. I also agree with trying a little less product. I had some Castle Forbes balm that was great stuff and only required 2 or 3 drops, but if I used 4 drops my face felt greasy the rest of the day (and the residue could be found on my cell phone). One of the reasons I now use Clinique Moisturizer is that it blends into the face very quickly and leaves none of that greasy feeling.
It's one of the curses of being a Cosmetologist for 40+ years, and then studying for nursing skool: I OF COURSE think I'm a Chemical Genius as well!

I don't get a "deal" on buying products for hair anymore, since I closed up shop, but I learned long ago to water down my products I use on my own hair, since 99% of the time the first ingredient was water, followed by some kind of salt to "thicken up" the water.

I don't know what you mean by "best," but I personally like Lucky Tiger and Mennen Afta.

But then I also like the Dollar Store house brand. It contains glycerin and castor oil and has a decent scent.

FarmerTan

I don't know what you mean by "best," but I personally like Lucky Tiger and Mennen Afta.

But then I also like the Dollar Store house brand. It contains glycerin and castor oil and has a decent scent.
Afta was all I used back in the day. Good stuff!

As cheap as I am, you'd have thunk I'd tried the Dollar Store house brand. On my list now.

Try leaving your face DAMP, not wet, and applying a lesser amount of the gels. It has helped me. (You are basically just diluting it) yes, you can call me Mr Obvious!
Thanks, that actually helped out quite a bit! I probably left my face a bit too wet, but it's not sticky afterward, and the gel still helped after a vintage Silver Star left me quite irritated.

I still prefer the balms to the gels, but this will make the gels a lot more useful to use up.

FarmerTan

Thanks, that actually helped out quite a bit! I probably left my face a bit too wet, but it's not sticky afterward, and the gel still helped after a vintage Silver Star left me quite irritated.

I still prefer the balms to the gels, but this will make the gels a lot more useful to use up.
LOL! Do you mind rewriting this in a letter to my lovely War Department? Ha!

Glad I could help out!, Dave

Top Bottom