What's new

Aftershave for Very Sensitive Skin

I'm very new to traditional wetshaving and I'm looking for a good aftershave. I have very sensitive skin and am very prone to ingrown hairs. What's the best aftershave for me (and those like me)?

Thanks so much.

There are good reports on the Nivea Extra Mild AS balm although I can't use it with my skin.

The best AS treatment I have experienced is my daily ritual with an alum block after which I put a moisturizing balm on my face and neck.

I finish it off with a slight touch of cologne. The scent I use depends on my planned business activities during the day.

Timmy I bought some Nivea sensitive aftershave balm today and I'm quite
impressed with it.
You should avoid the products with a lot of alcohol in them that can only
fan the flames.
I can recommend proraso a/s balm and also Crabtree & Evelyn aftershave
balms as well worth trying. Goog luck with it.
Doug.

Proraso liquid AS balm is the ultimate sensitive AS IMHO. On me it's a lot milder than Nivea and it's very good against razor burn.
Other options for me are trusty GFT coral skin food (not as pampering as the proraso, but still very very gentle product). Or: the new Bronnley AS balm with almond oil, shea butter and samphire: the most hydrating of the three (and perhaps my current favorite).
Hope this helps.

Ask for Jason's 6-1 Beard and Skin Therapy.

The ingredients are all natural - Aloe, Witch Hazel, Calendula (Marigold), Chamille, Glycerin and many more. All of the ingredients are natural healing herbs without any synthetic chemicals.

It's thin and clear and finishes up like Skin Food.

It's about 5 dollars for 8 ounces or so.

Aside from Skin Food and T&H Ultimate (very expensive), Jason's gives no burn at all, no matter how bad the razor burn is.

-joedy

As far as ingrowns are concerned with time using the proper technique that problem will slowly fade(it did with me) and as far as sensitivity is concerned your main concern would be to stay away from alcohol based a/s I think and stick to more moisturizing types. Proraso a/s pre-post and there balm are both excellent choices as well as NB a/s, Aloe 80 works wonders and is cheap....there are so many to choose from and thats half the fun:biggrin:

Another vote for Trumper's Coral Skin Food. It's very soothing and sealing, although not particularly moisturizing. I usually combine it with some Cetaphil. I would strongly recommend against using an alum block if your skin is sensitive, it will sting like nobody's business.

I am guessing that it is your technique and that any after shave isn't going to make a dramatic difference. However, two that I like and seem to work well are Nancy Boy AS balm, and Proraso Pre/Post.

Chris

I think that no AS or ASB will totally solve the problem. If there is a painfull burn with the ingrown hairs then some Neosporin will help in the healing. Part of it might be to fight the natural instincts of an agressive shave. We all have taken this over the edge and learned the hard way. Like dialing down on an adjustable and/or lightening your touch. Eventually your skin will heal and adjust and then you can re-explore more agressive approaches to your regimen. Perhaps a soft scrub like Neutrogena once a week will help those ingrowns come back out and face the world. Then to keep them from coming back do gradual reduction passes as discussed frequently here. On your trouble spots you may need to always avoid an against the grain pass.

When I first started in this thing of ours I was using brave soldier "code blue" It really made things easier while I was getting my technique down and it feel super cool on the face....

Forgot to add, since you have very sensitive skin, probably somewhat like mine, you might try using Hair Conditioner after you have washed your face, prior to getting out of the shower. I've found that using the conditioner has helped me, but I've only tried it 2x.

Has anybody suggested the T&H Ultimate Comfort ASB? I find this stuff to be great (though, perhaps a little expensive when compared with such products as Proraso), but I have heard some negative remarks about it in the past, I think. Baxters also makes a nice ASB and as a plus (IMHO) it has a nice, fresh, lemon-y scent.

rvbert0 said:
Forgot to add, since you have very sensitive skin, probably somewhat like mine, you might try using Hair Conditioner after you have washed your face, prior to getting out of the shower. I've found that using the conditioner has helped me, but I've only tried it 2x.

When im at work I usually let my beard go for 3 sometimes 4 days:scared: and ill use hair conditioner before getting out of the shower then just lather over it.

The Nivea was a good suggestion. Also I'd like to recommend the aftershave milk from:

www.thearizonagoatmilksoapcompany.com
It's VERY mild on the skin.
I have very sensative skin as well (I've reacted to 4 out of 5 mammabear soaps that I've tried) and this is one of my 2 favorites. The other one is a Sanex balm that's very similar to the Nivea. Both of my fav's are cheap and wonderfull.

Thanks to the members here at B&B, I have found THIS to be a life saver. A little expensive, but, A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.

Hope this helps.

NMMB said:
Has anybody suggested the T&H Ultimate Comfort ASB? I find this stuff to be great (though, perhaps a little expensive when compared with such products as Proraso), but I have heard some negative remarks about it in the past, I think. Baxters also makes a nice ASB and as a plus (IMHO) it has a nice, fresh, lemon-y scent.

I have quite sensitive skin, and T+H UC Stinnnnnnngs! :mad:

J

Top Bottom