What's new

Aftershave Decanter?

I'm just not sure what exactly an aftershave decanter is and what is its purpose? From what i've seen online it just a bottle to hold your aftershave. Does it server any other purpose? Any benefits of using one?

Thanks! :001_cool:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Plain and simple, an aftershave decanter is what you mentioned.

The purpose? Most people would do this, to my knowledge, because their current bottle is made of plastic. Glass bottles are a bit rare today if you compare to 10-20 years ago. Having the AS in glass changes the scent of the product also. I only saw a positive change from plastic to glass. The other reason would be that you might either have a prettier or smaller bottle (traveling).

My favorite AS is Eau d'Emeraude and I decant it into a bottle that I keep in my shave cabinet and the rest is stored out of the way and out of the light. The bottle used came from a pre-war art deco shaving set and the sight of it adds to the pleasure of my den. It's also got a neat glass stopper underneath the metal screw-on stopper which increases it's coolness to the 3rd power and it's awesomeness by nearly 70%. Since it is not real without pics, here you go:

The original bottles in which they came.
View attachment 269421

And the vintage aftershave bottle that houses it for every day use.
View attachment 269423

Posing for a SOTD pic
View attachment 269424

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for the Info! Would any glass bottle do?

Any? Well, yes. What I would make sure if I would be talking any new glass bottle:
  • Is the size all right?
  • Is there a stopper so I don't pour the full bottle?
  • Is it clean or can it be cleaned?
  • Is the cap airtight?

Thanks for the Info! Would any glass bottle do?

No. Any glass bottle will not do. It must be elegant and express your unique style. It should give you pleasure each time you handle it and comfort you with the assurance that our species is not doomed.

On a more practical note, pay attention to the opening of the bottle you use. It shouldn't be too wide or too much liquid comes out at once. If it's stored where there's a lot of sunlight, then it should be a darkly colored bottle. I like something on the smallish side personally which allows you to change it up more frequently when it runs out. The top should seat securely.

good luck

Thanks again fellas! Any sites I could take a look at some or should I just look for some in antique stores?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc! What size do you think is good for a decanter? I found a site that sells glass bottles but they come in different sizes. I was thinking 4 oz. Not sure if this is to small for a decanter or to big.

I decanted these into vintage bottles yesterday..
The Spitfire lighter fluid now has Aqua Velva
The Buerger's Bueroma now has Clubman
And the Hiram Walker whiskey bottle has drug store witch hazel

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Luc! What size do you think is good for a decanter? I found a site that sells glass bottles but they come in different sizes. I was thinking 4 oz. Not sure if this is to small for a decanter or to big.

The Tabasco is around 2 ounces (57ml) where 4 oz would get you around 118ml which is good too. I would say anything past 200ml (~6.5 oz) would be too much. But that's personal taste.

The Spitfire bottle came from an antique store...they gave it to me for free (I bought a couple of other things and they are getting to know me)
The Buerger's bottle came from an antique store..was $5 and had some kind of yellow liquid in it...I think it was yellow food coloring and water.
The Hiram Walker bottle came from a thrift store...50 cents
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Spitfire bottle came from an antique store...they gave it to me for free (I bought a couple of other things and they are getting to know me)
The Buerger's bottle came from an antique store..was $5 and had some kind of yellow liquid in it...I think it was yellow food coloring and water.
The Hiram Walker bottle came from a thrift store...50 cents
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful, I am definitely going to keep my eye out for some cool bottles now. Thanks for the idea!

Texas Pete bottles work well for me. Not horribly fancy, but keeps it from all pouring at at once. I've been looking around different shops and antique stores and will have to get some nicer decants at some point.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A great and easy way to refill old bottles, even the ones with the built in pour nozzles is with a generic condiment bottle.
Just fill up the condiment bottle from the donor bottle, screw on the lid, put the nozzle down the hole of the receiving bottle and squeeze it in.
Fast, easy, no mess.

$images.jpg

Top Bottom