What's new

Aftershave, Cologne or Eau de Toilette?

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the 3?

Ive always used Old Spice aftershave however there is an eau de toilette available here in the UK. The eau de toilette comes in the same bottle as the aftershave meaning they are both splashes. I thought an eau de toilette was a spray?
Can someone please let me know what the difference is?

Aftershave is meant to be used as an aftershave. It can have a scent which may or may not have longevity.

The differences have to do the the percents of parfum extract in the cologne - see the wiki page.

Aftershave has the lowest percent (~1-3%)
Cologne is the next lowest percent (~3-5%)
Eau de Toilette (EdT) is higher (~5-15%)
Eau de Parfum (EdP) is higher yet (~20%)
Parfum is the highest (up to 40%)

Last edited:
Aftershave is meant to be used as an aftershave. It can have a scent which may or may not have longevity.

The differences have to do the the percents of parfum extract in the cologne - see the wiki page.

Aftershave has the lowest percent (~1-3%)
Cologne is the next lowest percent (~3-5%)
Eau de Toilette (EdT) is higher (~5-15%)
Eau de Parfum (EdT) is higher yet (~20%)
Parfum is the highest (up to 40%)

Hi Dennis, thanks for your fast reply.

I have to admitt that I have never seen a mens fragrance come in "Eau de Parfum or Parfum".

Going back to Old Spice. I take it the only difference between the aftershave lotion and edt is that the edt will smell a lot stronger than the aftershave? Can the Old Spice EDT be used as an aftershave?

Hi Dennis, thanks for your fast reply.

I have to admitt that I have never seen a mens fragrance come in "Eau de Parfum or Parfum".

Going back to Old Spice. I take it the only difference between the aftershave lotion and edt is that the edt will smell a lot stronger than the aftershave? Can the Old Spice EDT be used as an aftershave?

I have some Floris Santal Extreme which is an EdP. I don't think EdP's are all that uncommon, but woman's fragrances are generally associated with Parfums.

As far as the Old Spice - like I said, an aftershave is an aftershave. It is meant to soothe and tone (or whatever) after you shave. It may or may not have scent or longevity. The EdT is a cologne, not an aftershave, and also may or may not have longevity. :biggrin: It depends on the cologne and on the person. I would not use an EdT as an aftershave (ouch!).

I am not that familiar with the Old Spice other than remembering the scent from when I was a kid with my dad. I currently have the Ivy Club from Vi Jonn (Ivory Club Por Homme :001_tongu) in aftershave. That has longevity and I can still smell it at the end of the day, so I don't really use it as an "aftershave" in that regard, but it still gets applied in a small amount as an ASB or the scent would be overpowering to me.

Top Bottom