What's new

Aftershave balm problems?

Does anyone find that using a balm after shaving causes skin to break out? I’ve always had a problem with sebum bumps on my right cheek under eye. Sometimes they aren’t noticeable but I wonder if using a balm makes it worse or better. I’m a picker so I always squeeze them out when they appear but wondering if anyone knows a way to minimize this?

I wonder whether witch hazel would help. I apply alum and witch hazel prior to balm. Some witch hazel gets rubbed into my oily nose, since I read that it can help combat acne.

At my age, it’s still a problem. Thayer’s witch hazel seems to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder whether witch hazel would help. I apply alum and witch hazel prior to balm. Some witch hazel gets rubbed into my oily nose, since I read that it can help combat acne.

At my age, it’s still a problem. Thayer’s witch hazel seems to help.

Thank you. I do use an alum block followed by a rinse and thayers witch hazel. Then balm. Last shave yesterday I didn’t use balm and my skin feels some smoother today. Maybe there’s something to it? The sebum pores have been a problem for a long time so anyone familiar with these bumps with advice it would be greatly appreciated!
My skin has never been real oily so not sure what causes it. Since my hair grows high on cheeks could it be hair follicles causing it?

You might not need a balm, especially if your skin is oily. I'd suggest you try something like Speick splash. It has a lot of healing properties and a light scent that does not linger long. Speick is one of the best aftershaves I have used.

The weird thing is my skin never really seems to oily. If anything the areas that get the problems show more signs of dry surface, the oil is more underneath the skin? It’s only in the area under my right eye which is also confusing. Is speick an alcohol aftershave product?

I primarily use Proraso for sensitive skin, not that I have sensitive skin, but it rubs in and isn’t oily. My hands feel like I never applied any, it rubs in so well without a sticky oily residue.

The weird thing is my skin never really seems to oily. If anything the areas that get the problems show more signs of dry surface, the oil is more underneath the skin? It’s only in the area under my right eye which is also confusing. Is speick an alcohol aftershave product?
It has some alcohol, but I don't find it drying or irritating at all. It has witch hazel and several other plant extracts.
Ingredients. Alcohol, Aqua, Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water, Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Citrus Limon Peel Oil, Parfum, Lactic Acid, Menthol, Camphor, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Ive done some digging. Sounds like something with Salicylic Acid or retinol could help. The thayers does seem to help some by itself even though there’s a big thread on here knocking it.

I don’t for the life of me understand the whole balm thing. Balms are for people who have really dry skin. If your skin is that dry, you should see a dermatologist, and they will prescribe something for you, which would probably be superior to some ‘shave balm’.
Either way balms have nothing to do with shaving. If you want something to moisturize your skin after you shave, get an a/s with glycerin or glycol in it. That’s what they make it for.
It’s all about the right product for the situation.

I don’t for the life of me understand the whole balm thing. Balms are for people who have really dry skin...
Soap can be drying to the skin. If you have oily skin, no problem. If you have don't have oily skin, especially in cold weather, a balm is nice. Think of it as a cream aftershave or aftershave lotion. Whatever you call it, it helps. There's no need to go to a dermatologist for chapped lips, right?

I like to use a splash during warm weather and a balm in cool weather.

Soap can be drying to the skin. If you have oily skin, no problem. If you have don't have oily skin, especially in cold weather, a balm is nice. Think of it as a cream aftershave or aftershave lotion. Whatever you call it, it helps. There's no need to go to a dermatologist for chapped lips, right?

You are quite correct. There is no reason to go to a Dr. for chapped lips.
Just use some chapstick.
But chapstick has nothing to do with shaving either.
As far as soaps being drying, what soap are you using? Most decent shave soaps/creams
have tallow, glycerin, or some other oil in them just for that reason.
If you find your face still is dry, use an a/s with a humectant (glycerin,glycol, etc.)
Next time you shave, use Williams or Mitchell’s wool fat soap, then when you’re done
Put some A.V. or Masters a/s on your face, if your skin is still dry, you should see a
doctor! By the way do you put anything on your face even if you don’t shave?

You said you don't understand "the whole balm thing." I was trying to explain why some people might like to use a balm. You don't see the need for yourself, that's great.

Right. I don’t have dry skin, but it just plain feels good. My face does feel taught, if I don’t use a balm. It wouldn’t feel that way all day. The soap does have a drying affect, if only temporarily as body oils replenish.

Right. I don’t have dry skin, but it just plain feels good. My face does feel taught, if I don’t use a balm. It wouldn’t feel that way all day. The soap does have a drying affect, if only temporarily as body oils replenish.

First, let me say thank you for a succinct and polite reply. I very much appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply to me, while maintaining your decorum and exercising some
deportment, something not always offered, but always appreciated nonetheless.
Second, I feel compelled to offer an apology. I get the feeling my question was taken with a
sense of attacking or a dismissive attitude. This was certainly was not the intention.
In point of fact, one of the reasons I joined this site, was precisely because (hey, I found the
italics button) of the gentlemanly nature of the posts. In fact I’m not on any of these computor
deals because it always degenerates into prepubescent name calling. Didn’t care for it then
won’t tolerate it now. So, I joined with the intent, hand and spirit, to maintain the established
tone.
My whole question was about balms. I always thought they were applied to combat dry skin and provide moisturization. This has been confirmed. So what I was wondering was, is this skin
condition, which so many guys on this site seem to be afflicted with, a medical condition that
you have to use balms even if your not shaving? Because I would think if that were the case
a dermatologist could prescribe a superior alternative to what’s in the shave aisle at a store.
However, if the dry skin only occurs when shaving, then I thought possibly it could be the
products that you use. That’s why I suggested a glycerin or tallow based cream/soap and a
glycerin rich a/s. I’m 50 yrs old, I’ve lived in Illinois,Arizona,Hawaii,California,New York,Iran
Germany,England,Sweden and Scotland. That’s a lot of different environments, weather types
and humidity levels, and not until about the last twenty years did I ever see anyone ever use
a balm. I guess I’m lucky, people in the Midwest are a pretty hearty stock, pretty healthy for the most part. That’s genetic, it’s nothing I earned or achieved . I guess I just forgot, not
everyone is lucky that way. So, please accept my apology, I didn’t mean to downplay
or disregard your medical condition.

If I understand your issue it is on the part of your face that you shave? If so, the try alum, Lucky Tiger or Witch Hazel, and a good quality balm like Nivea Sensitive. If it's on a part of your face that you dont shave then I would just use Lucky Tiger.
Sometimes you just have to experiment and try different things and see what works best.

First, let me say thank you for a succinct and polite reply. I very much appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply to me, while maintaining your decorum and exercising some
deportment, something not always offered, but always appreciated nonetheless.
Second, I feel compelled to offer an apology. I get the feeling my question was taken with a
sense of attacking or a dismissive attitude. This was certainly was not the intention.
In point of fact, one of the reasons I joined this site, was precisely because (hey, I found the
italics button) of the gentlemanly nature of the posts. In fact I’m not on any of these computor
deals because it always degenerates into prepubescent name calling. Didn’t care for it then
won’t tolerate it now. So, I joined with the intent, hand and spirit, to maintain the established
tone.
My whole question was about balms. I always thought they were applied to combat dry skin and provide moisturization. This has been confirmed. So what I was wondering was, is this skin
condition, which so many guys on this site seem to be afflicted with, a medical condition that
you have to use balms even if your not shaving? Because I would think if that were the case
a dermatologist could prescribe a superior alternative to what’s in the shave aisle at a store.
However, if the dry skin only occurs when shaving, then I thought possibly it could be the
products that you use. That’s why I suggested a glycerin or tallow based cream/soap and a
glycerin rich a/s. I’m 50 yrs old, I’ve lived in Illinois,Arizona,Hawaii,California,New York,Iran
Germany,England,Sweden and Scotland. That’s a lot of different environments, weather types
and humidity levels, and not until about the last twenty years did I ever see anyone ever use
a balm. I guess I’m lucky, people in the Midwest are a pretty hearty stock, pretty healthy for the most part. That’s genetic, it’s nothing I earned or achieved . I guess I just forgot, not
everyone is lucky that way. So, please accept my apology, I didn’t mean to downplay
or disregard your medical condition.

I didn’t mean to invoke or require an apology! Everything here is 5% science and 95% opinion. Admittedly, if I stopped using a balm, I would get accustomed to it and my skin might not suffer the consequences.

From about 1972 to 2012 I never used anything post shave other than aftershave. The alcohol probably should have been harsh, but I survived.

I started using Proraso balm in 2012 and there’s no looking back now. It simply feels great. I still use AS for the cooling sensation and scent afterwards.

Balms make me break out because I have oily skin. I just use alcohol splashes and all is right with the world. No need for witch hazel or alum for me. I think a lot of people overuse post shave stuff. Just my opinion.

I have a rather dry skin and use coconut oil first and a little bit of aftershave at last, just for the scent. My skin gots moisterized and thats a good think for me.

Balms make me break out because I have oily skin. I just use alcohol splashes and all is right with the world. No need for witch hazel or alum for me. I think a lot of people overuse post shave stuff. Just my opinion.
It would be a guitar player liking my post. I play bass myself.
If you have anything on line I’d like to check it out
I was up all night Monday, a buddy of mine(singer) had his band in the studio
recording a cover of Riff Raff for the 40th anniversary of Bon’s death.
And we stayed up late doing vocals and mixing.

Top Bottom