What's new

Aftershave Balm as Shave Cream??

Strangest ever shaving experience this morning. Looking for a quick shave before a morning court appearance, and I remembered I had a tube of Pens Blenheim cream I hadn’t used lately. So, I grabbed and started squirting.

Like many on B&B, can’t see a darn thing without reading glasses. I kept squirting and squirting cream on my brush, and I got no lather. I always finish what I start, so I went through 3 passes without even a hint of lather. I just assumed weeks without power after Hurricanes Laura and Delta had messed up the cream.

Once finished, I put on my reading glasses and remembered I also have an identical tube (to me without reading glasses) of Pens Blenheim Aftershave. Anyway, I went through a 3 pass with shave, with touch-ups, with aftershave balm as my shave cream. Perhaps not as close as my normal shave, but absolutely zero irritation. I’m guessing that much balm soothed my skin like a barrel of Shea Butter.

Anyone else ever shave with AS balm?

Last edited:
Strangest ever shaving experience this morning. Looking for a quick shave before a morning court, and I remembered I had a tube of Pens Blenheim cream I hadn’t used lately. So, I grabbed and started squirting.

Like many on B&B, can’t see a darn thing without reading glasses. I kept squirting and squirting cream on my brush, and I got not lather. I always finish what I start, so I went through 3 passes without even a hint of lather. I just assumed weeks without power after Hurricanes Laura and Delta had messed up the cream.

Once finished, I put on my reading glasses and remembered I also have an identical tube (to me without reading glasses) of Pens Blenheim Aftershave. Anyway, I went through a 3 pass with shave, with touch-ups, with aftershave balm as my shave cream. Perhaps not as close as my normal shave, but absolutely zero irritation. I’m guessing that much balm soothed my skin like a barrel of Shea Butter.

Anyone else ever shave with AS balm?

Sometimes when I apply AS,
I feel some stubble that I think could stand to be cut a little bit shorter
so I just go for it.

I did once many years ago. It was a travel set of ocean scented shave cream and aftershave lotion from a dollar store. Brushless. I wasn't paying attention once morning and used the aftershave to shave with. I didn't know the difference until I was finished and looked at the tube. It worked just fine to shave with, although I don't think I tried it again.

I think what I have learned over the years is yes these kinds of alternatives can and do work, but not quite as well as the intended product.

Example: I can use a bit of beard oil for a hair dressing (Hey, hair is hair) and it does ok. But when I go back to Groom and Clean the latter product wins slightly, all things considered.

You can shave with nuru gel, massage gel, oil, pretty sure you can shave with allmost any lotion which is not to fast absorbing.

My father went through a period years ago where he shaved with aloe vera. He's in the medical field and was getting large bottles pretty cheaply.

shaved yesterday with barbasol 1919 no-lather cream. essentially lubricant. no soap.
worked ok. hard to rinse off. not as moisturizing as a soap-based cream.

barbasol 1919 red imp aqua velva ice blue january 14 2021.jpg

We used to shave with hand lotion when deployed in the field during winter.

Kept it in the sleeping bag with you so it wouldn't freeze at night (along with canteens, towels. socks ... ). Worked just like you are describing but clogged the cart up if you didn't rinse often enough.

I regularly shave with baby and body lotion and balms -which tend to be slightly thinner in constituency. As has been said above they give me zero irritation and a lovely moisturized fragrant smelling face. Also I find lotion and balms are more forgiving that shaving soap and cream due to their slickness and they don't clog my DE razors anymore than soaps or creams.

Top Bottom