What's new

Aftershave and soap pairing

I always like to pair my soap with an aftershave that is either the same or compliments the scent of the soap. Now, that being said, I have more soap than aftershave. Here is what I use so far:

D.R. Harris Marlborough -- Marlborough aftershave

Tabac -- C.O. Bigelow Green Elixer ASB or Ogallala sandlewood

Conk's Bay Rum -- any of the Ogallala bay rum products or Carribean Bay Rum w/Key Lime

Mama Bear's Lime -- Carribean bay rum w/key lime

Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood -- ?????? (Wouldn't an ASB in this scent be great?!)

What does everyone else like to pair up? Do you guys also try to pair your aftershave with the soap scent?

I frequently mix and match, but I prefer to use the AS from the same line if possible.

For example, I think you are really missing out on the full Tabac experience by using the Bigelow (good stuff in its own right) instead of the Tabac ASL.

Enjoy!

Yeah....I feel like I should buy the Tabac aftershave but I am running out of room for all of my shaving gear! My wife is threatening to start ordering shoes online because of all of the packages I am getting! :yikes:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I rather enjoy following the SCS ginger-lime soap with the TOBS victorian limes aftershave ... the ginger in the soap adds a nice spicy element.

Sadly, I think the ginger-lime is no longer offered.

Yeah....I feel like I should buy the Tabac aftershave but I am running out of room for all of my shaving gear! My wife is threatening to start ordering shoes online because of all of the packages I am getting! :yikes:

You can spend a lot more on men's shoes online than you can on women's shoes online. I'm just sayin', is all. :whistling:

Most of the time I will mix and match but I have two combinations that I really like and use often.

Mama Bear's Aged Spice soap with Vi-Jon Family Dollar Old Spice knock-off AS gets me into Old Spice Nirvana. I usually start off a Sat. morning with this routine. For me, that's about as good as it gets.

A little more unusual is my combo of Williams Mug Soap and Pinaud Eau de Portugal. I have mentioned this before in other threads. These two scents go great together and are very light and clean. I use this combo a few days a week to work-- you will never offend anyone with Eau de Portugal. It can never be overpowering and will dissipate in a few hours.

Eau de Portugal is marketed as a hair tonic--but can be used as an AS and has excellent aftershave properties. It's so light you can use it as body splash also. Just a wonderful citrus scent. Don't even worry about it being a hair tonic. Really......

Marty E.

I love to match, cream/soap, ASB and AS, at least by scents. TOBS sandalwood with C and F ASB and AS or cologne, C and F Lime with Royall ASB and AS. Unfortunately, I can't find a match to everything. Of course, that just motivates me to buy and try more!

When I'm not doing a week of VDH, I like to pair Williams and Aqua Velva. The citrus of the Williams really compliments the AV.

I have WAYYYY too many aftershaves. That being said, some fun combos are:

Proraso Green/Osage Rub
Proraso Green/Aqua Velva
AOS Lemon/Old Spice Fresh Lime
AOS Lemon/Lilac Vegetal
Ogallala Bay Rum/Ogalla Bay Rum
MWF/Monsieur Musk

Aqua Velva Original Sport (the green one from Canada).

A terrific pairing.

this morning I paired Irish Moos soap with Booster's June Clover - worked well together.

I also like to use Aqua Velva Ice Blue with Mitchells Wool Fat.... they sem to work great together.

Another good one is Trumper's Sandalwood Soap with Booster's Oriental Spice

Barry

I frequently mix and match, but I prefer to use the AS from the same line if possible.

For example, I think you are really missing out on the full Tabac experience by using the Bigelow (good stuff in its own right) instead of the Tabac ASL.

+1

Tabac soap + cream + ASL + EdT + deo stick takes it to a whole new level.

I like Bigelow (#1200 Unscented,) it goes well with everything ... but Tabac works best with more Tabac.

Hi y'all,

if you can source these two on your side of the pond, try and pair:

MONSAVON Bol à raser SS + Brut Alaska ASL :cool:

Good shave, relatively cheap and an airy, refreshing and unusual take on lavender.

LOVE IT!! :w00t:

C_J

I found a great combo yesterday. I've had this soap sample from shavingessentials for awhile but I only now figured out the best way to use it.

Soap- Ogallala Bay Rum
A/S- Aqua Velva Ice Sport

The two scents REALLY complemented each other and provided a nice, lasting smell all day. :cool:

Hi y'all,

if you can source these two on your side of the pond, try and pair:

MONSAVON Bol à raser SS + Brut Alaska ASL :cool:

Good shave, relatively cheap and an airy, refreshing and unusual take on lavender.

LOVE IT!! :w00t:

C_J

CJ, this just may be a combo we will need to discuss via PM, it sounds a little too good to be true! :smile::thumbup:

Quite by accident , I discovered last night that the combination of Nature's Gate Cucumber & Mint Shave Gel (it lathers well) and Pinaud's Clubman was very wonderful together!

Regards,

David

Last edited:
Well since I got the Osage Rub...

MB Awakenings/Prorasso/Frasier's Polar Ice - Osage Rub

Frasier's Mosswood - Booster's Mosswood
Frasier's Oriental Spice - Booster's Oriental Spice
MB English Leather - Booster's Jickey
MB Brute - Clubman Pinaud

Top Bottom