What's new

Aftershave and age

While at the grocery store this weekend I went down an isle that had some shaving stuff and there was a bottle of Aqua velva aftershave. For $3 I decided to give it a shot. Besides Williams shave soap and classic old spice and aqua velva, everything else was canned foam and cartridge razors, which I think is a real shame.

I enjoyed the scent, and my wife did too but said I smelled like my grandpa.

I'm in my late 20's but have quite a few aftershaves some people deem "Old man scents" such as clubman, aqua velva, original old spice, etc. While I know they aren't hip or trendy I enjoy the nod to the past and the historical aspect even if the scents aren't 100% exact that they used to be. As long as I enjoy the scent, that is what is important to me, as well as the performance.

Curious if people out there avoid these classics because of their age or for fear of smelling like an old man or their grandpa?
Absolutely. I'm not an old man so I don't dress or smell like one. At the end of the day, use what you want to but fragrance is a part of fashion for me. AS doesn't really project or last that long but I still prefer to use more youthful products that match where I am in life. Its always kind of funny when the marketing for a product is along the lines of 'be like robert redford, clint eastwood and sean connery'. Why would I want to smell like a 90 year old!?!? There'll be plenty of time for old spice and green tweed and plain sandalwood when I'm older.

Absolutely. I'm not an old man so I don't dress or smell like one. At the end of the day, use what you want to but fragrance is a part of fashion for me. AS doesn't really project or last that long but I still prefer to use more youthful products that match where I am in life. Its always kind of funny when the marketing for a product is along the lines of 'be like robert redford, clint eastwood and sean connery'. Why would I want to smell like a 90 year old!?!? There'll be plenty of time for old spice and green tweed and plain sandalwood when I'm older.

Very interesting perspective. Thank you for the reply!

As a counter argument though, Clint Eastwood and the like weren't old when these scents first came out, so they were hip at the time.

Out of curiosity, what aftershave do you find youthful? You're the first one to mention it so far!

Aqua Velva Musk however, seems to hang around forever… which is why I used it today—I didn’t want people hanging around my desk bothering me, I had work to get done….
The supermarket brand AS are basically affordable fragrance now that I think about it. Alcohol, Water, preservative and fragrance and thats it! Imperial Leather AS lasts days, I remember using it after fake shaving with my dad.

Very interesting perspective. Thank you for the reply!

As a counter argument though, Clint Eastwood and the like weren't old when these scents first came out, so they were hip at the time.

Out of curiosity, what aftershave do you find youthful? You're the first one to mention it so far!
True enough, they weren't THAT old, but they were still late 30's at the earliest. They definitely speak to a time gone by, when many were in their age bracket but as with all things, they've aged.

Aftershaves for the most part aren't really youthful honestly. For me they're either low scent (so it doesn't matter), classic or timeless or old type cologney scent. I like Nivea balm, Lucky Tiger tonic, proraso green has a nice brisk scent, GFT spanish leather is suprisingly nice and youthful. Not as smoky or woody as I expected it to be. To be fair, I don't have a collection. I use what I need for my face mostly.

I am not a fan of the powdery AS types, and most of the 'classics', esp the 'drug store' splashes, dry down that way.
I do think, for example - Old Spice, which I like but don't wear, is dated. But I don't think it makes someone appear/seem one way or another, but the vibe is what it is for me. In other words, it doesn't make me think 'old man' but it does have a mature, well established, albeit somewhat common energy in it.
i don't see AS as fragrance and I don't see fragrance as fashion - I do see either as a sort of a 'style' concern - which is, to me, a more personal type of thing than 'fashion' is. Maybe the terms can be interchangeable but when I think of style I think of, for example, someone's personality and how they carry themselves. When I think of 'fashion' I think of popular trends and what is hyped in media. I don't believe one's style needs to mimic trends just because, nor do I think style from 'one era' makes someone seem older or younger just because. A 25 yr old guy in OS does not make me think he's old. A 66 yr old guy wearing Axe does not smell youthful. There is much more to all of it than that; for me anyway.
Sometimes I smell a guy wearing 1 million. Sometimes it fits, other times not; and age isn't ever a part of it.
The two concepts, style/fashion, can align but they don't have to and I don't view them in parallel. Just my own perspective.
I honestly didn't know the release dates of the frags and splashes I gravitate toward. My nose likes or dislikes, that's usually all I care about - the scent has to 'fit' me, or maybe it's better said that the scent should suit my personality; at least in my own minds eye.
Products that have been around forever are always going to bring on that 'you smell like.....' thing because everyone is going to know someone that wore too much of it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was sent by accident once a bottle of Fine American blend aftershave. I had to send it back, but before I did I couldn't help to put a dab on my hand.

I was so thoroughly impressed that I soon ordered a bottle.

It smells more "modern" to me than some of the "classic" scents, but somehow reminds me of a classic scents too.

I hope that this aftershave stands the test of time like some of the other scents that have been with us for so long

I have to agree. Some of the scents, although classic, are really quite nice regardless.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I will be splashing on vintage Shulton Old Spice today as the wife and I celebrate 37 years of marriage.

She can’t resist me when I’m wearing this ‘old man’ juice.

It worked for millions of men after world war II to help create the baby boomer generation and I am extremely confident it will assist me tonight. ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will be splashing on vintage Shulton Old Spice today as the wife and I celebrate 37 years of marriage.

It worked for millions of men after work war II to help create the baby boomer generation and I am extremely confident it will assist me tonight. ;)
I'm rockin' some right now, along with the original deodorant....

Yeah, I'm a stud too!

Have a GREAT day my friend. We both married better than we deserve.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They put up with both of us and made it look easy. They are absolutely remarkable in my mind.
I've been meaning to PM you for a therapy session my friend. Suffice it to say, her mom passed away, and life has been hard for us for the last 4?ish months.

Our anniversary was 4 days ago. Too crazy around here to do much but go to a steakhouse.

I'm no angel, but I know one when I see one. This woman has been cooking meals for other folks, etc, all in the middle of her own grief. I hit the Lotto in the wife sweepstakes!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've been meaning to PM you for a therapy session my friend. Suffice it to say, her mom passed away, and life has been hard for us for the last 4?ish months.

Our anniversary was 4 days ago. Too crazy around here to do much but go to a steakhouse.

I'm no angel, but I know one when I see one. This woman has been cooking meals for other folks, etc, all in the middle of her own grief. I hit the Lotto in the wife sweepstakes!

You and I are creatures of habit. We both went to a steakhouse last year on our anniversaries and we both will this year and God willing, next year.

Going to a steakhouse for a big juicy ribeye, is the pinnacle for guys like you and me. Simple pleasures my friend. :)

I have a bottle of Vintage Old Spice After Shave and a bottle of Old Spice Cologne sitting next to each other on a shelf in the bathroom--last week I shaved after too little sleep and decided to go with the Vintage OS. Let's just say that the dispenser hole for the cologne is smaller than the one for the after shave for a reason, and I should have picked up on the fact that it was taking a lot of effort to get enough "after shave" out of the bottle. The odiferous end result was a bunch of misty-eyed old ladies and retired NYC cab drivers left in my wake all day...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

It worked for millions of men after world war II to help create the baby boomer generation and I am extremely confident it will assist me tonight. ;)

Congratulations on your 37th anniversary, comrade!

Top Bottom