What's new

Aftermarket handle for Gillette OLD type

I recently acquired a Gillette OLD type and am thinking about getting an aftermarket handle for it. I’ve been looking at the RazoRock UFO and both versions of the common bar style handle. Would these be a good option? Budget would be around $50 US

I can heartily recommend the Razorock UFO for the Old Type - I have it on mine :)

I found the original Common Bar handle too slippery for me but can’t say anything about the RR version.

9B73A6DB-80A3-4FF7-BB69-6F49BBAD656C.jpeg

B82A64BF-6458-4EDF-9E57-AC7038ACCBAA.jpeg

I can heartily recommend the Razorock UFO for the Old Type - I have it on mine :)

I found the original Common Bar handle too slippery for me but can’t say anything about the RR version.

View attachment 1396448

View attachment 1396449
That’s a nice looking combination. Personally I don’t find the original Gillette common bar handle to be all that slippery. I might try using the common bar handle from my NEW type on it

You could get a Gillette Heritage razor kit. Comes with a reproduction common bar handle and case. Includes a Muhle R89 head and blades you can use elsewhere if you like.

1642666361319.png

It's on Am*zon for around $32. Sometimes on sale for around $24.

lasta

Blade Biter
Razorock common bar handle:

Unfortunately they only have a thin and thick option, no perfect replica which was ~11.2mm.

Or you can look on AliExpress for a Yaqi/DSCOSMETIC version. My guess is the Razorock is made in China as well.

If you want a dead ringer replica, look at the Razor Emporium old type brass handles which are "solid" replacements. I use them and they are extremely satisfying to use. I prefer these over the Razorock UFO stainless steel for the original look as well as matching metals so no fear of cap screw thread stripping in the long run by the stainless steel handle.

You can get two for your budget.

Several years ago I got a junk Old Type that appears to have had a couple of attempts to fix the crackes handle. I tried silver soldering it myself, but it didn't work out. I have always preferred longer handles, so I nickeled a length of brass tubing, then attached the original handle ends. It shaves extremely well. I've found that most new handles are way too heavy for older Gillette razor heads. The lighter weight, yet longer handle maneuvers & shaves extremely well.
Old Type New Handle R.jpg

Top Bottom