What's new

After the Bloodbath. Second attempt.

I chronicled my first attempt made a few days ago with an Aristocrat and a Feather. A major disaster with and copious blood loss. I'm not talking weepers and nicks. I'm talking about a couple of major lacerations and removal of skin. I have been keeping the wounds covered with fresh squeezed aloe vera from our garden and the healing has been remarkably quick, though not complete yet.
Anyway.... I've gone unshaven for almost five days now. For me, that leaves a pretty noticeable, sandpaper-y beard. I was about to pull out my old electric but decided I had the time so...why not?

I put a Chrystal from my starter set into my Adjustable Slim,set it on "One," and lathered up. Taking my time and great care I eased into short downstrokes WTG. I paid a lot of attention to the angle of attack, keeping my wrist locked, and not applying pressure, just letting the razor do it's thing.

I am very happy to report a very successful shave! My biggest wound from my first attempt is dead center, right on the fatty part of my chin about an inch or so below my lower lip. I was very careful to keep away from this wound and will touch it up with the electric later. But using gentle, short strokes, first WTG, then both directions XTG I got a wonderful, close shave with just a little bit of buffing. My neck hair grows in virtually all directions so was tricky but I did a slow, four pass shave including ATG. Then I decided to do an ATG on my cheeks and sideburn area. I could have gotten by without it but I'm about to leave town again and tonight is farewell date night so, you know...

I had one tiny nick above the upper lip. That's it! A touch of styptic took care of that immediately. When I rinsed off I was so pleased. I splashed on some Aramis AS. There was a bit of sting in the lower neck area. No blood showing. Just a touch of razor burn, I guess.

I used my cartridge razor to trip the sideburns. I see that I could have gotten a little closer right smack under the nose and nostrils. Not sure what to do about that other than touch it up with a cartridge, also.

I would easily classify this as a DFS+ (not feeling the least bit of stubble anywhere but wouldn't dare claim BBS in my rookie season) and was rather surprised by that because the setting was only on "One" and I was working on a five day brillo pad beard. I'm not sure if a higher setting would have done much better but, with results like this, why push it? The Chrystal Platinum did a great job. Just as a side note: I have always shaved in the shower. I won't be doing that with the DE but will usually shave right out of the shower when my face should be well hydrated and the beard softened. However... this morning was impromptu and just splashed warm water on my face a few times and went for it.

I'm feeling better about this whole DE thing now. Thank all of you for your input and encouragement after the "Bloodbath."

Cheers!

Ken

Congrats on a successful 2nd shave with a DE razor! It's always nice hearing that a member has resolved the majority of the issues you had with your shaving technique. All it took was the right DE razor.

It's nice when you have very few blood issues. Dealing with one as opposed to you first attempt at shaving you very well. I do believe you are on your way to many more close shaves in your future. You began with a rough start but it all worked out in the end! Congrats!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A Feather for your first go around? I also did that for my first DE shave, but I already had some straight razor experience under my belt, so I survived.

It will only get better and better.

That was very brave of you: going back to your instrument of self-mutilation the same day as an important date. I'm very impressed that you gave it a shot, and pleased to hear that you got very little irritation.

Good job, letting your skin heal. Good job, focusing so intently on your technique. You can obviously see the payoff. Just remember next time that you're still a n00b. It's all too easy to get cocky and lazy and sloppy and end up a mess again. Getting a great shave doesn't mean you've mastered your technique. Eventually will come the day that you get sloppy and still somehow get great results; THAT will be the day you can tell yourself you have good technique. Until that day comes you must focus, focus, focus.

Congrats, bro.

Glad you stuck with it. Again, I wouldn't even worry about blade buffing or achieving a DFS+. Just focus on technique. In another month you'll be amazed at how much better you are.

Good work. Your post brings up an important point, IMHO. I have never understood the fetish for more and more aggressive razors that some seem to have. Your experience demonstrates that it is possible to get a close, even BBS, shave with a "mild" razor (or adjustable at a mild setting). Thanks for your post.

Keep working on your technique. Practice makes perfect. That's why we practice. I shave every day, even weekends. Not just to practice but because I enjoy it now!

Congratulations on the second attempt. The only thing I wouldn't do at this point is blade buffing. Let yourself get really comfortable with the basic technique first. As your technique improves so will the overall shave. You want the memory of letting the weight of the razor do the work combined with the proper angle to set in. Blade buffing at this point isn't going to provide the memory you want.

Keep working on your technique. Practice makes perfect. That's why we practice. I shave every day, even weekends. Not just to practice but because I enjoy it now!

I rarely go without shaving every day. If I shave in the morning, I may very well have to do a touch up if I am going to be in public in the evening- or if I want some good kissing. In fact, that might be the ONLY reason I shave at night, if for nothing else than kissing my bride good night. I'm away from home 150-180 nights a year. I make sure she'll want to kiss me when I'm home. Forty years last May. I'd like for her to keep me another forty.

Top Bottom