What's new

After Starting Straight Razor Shaving ….

After I first started Straight Razor Shaving….

• Total voters
About 10 years ago, I tried my first SR shave and hated it. I returned to safety razors. Then recently, I tried to SR shave again, only this time with better understanding; especially in the way of how the edge quality makes a HUGE difference. Many folks here have helped me with that. Thank you! Now I’m hooked….rarely reaching for the DE anymore. Curious how others might feel.

I posted this in the SR forum, so there might be some natural bias in the results. But I figured better here than in the more general setting.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I tried a shavette for a while, but I never took to it. Was almost always a bloody experience.

I kind of go back and forth. So far since the New Year I've only used a straight razor or a rolls razor. At some point I'll dust off the vintage gillettes and play with them again for a month or two.

I use a cartridge when traveling (unless I know I’d be checking luggage anyway”
I use a DE perhaps once a month when I know that the shave will be rushed
Otherwise I use a straight. Even if I know time is limited for the shave (usually twice a week), I usually opt for face lathering and a single pass with a straight over the DE.

I haven't used anything but a straight since the first time I tried it. I have decided to just take a disposable cart the next time that it makes sense for flying, but that hasn't happened yet.

Pretty much only a Straight razor but I do love a good safety razor shave! My fiance has stolen my gamechanger DE and is out of state for work currently. I did like having the DE around for cleanup. If I missed something with the Straight razor and didn't want the hassle of stropping/cleaning the razor again the DE was quick and easy.

It's been mixed for me for a good while. I started with DE's, wanted to try SR's as well. Got hooked, but I wasn't any good at honing. Sent all my razors, all of them to a guy for re-honing and restoring (those that needed it) and got them back more than two years later (don't ask). Got a bit disillusioned, sold nearly all of them, including two I never, ever should have done, because I just wasn't very good at using a SR.

Slowly, the bug bit me again. Then COVID hit, I decided to take it up again, but seriously; I also decided it was as good a time as any to have another go at honing. Then I made my first set of scales. Then I started restoring razors. I haven't used my DE's at all for the last year and a half, I'd say.

It does make a difference that a) I have quite good razors now and b) I can actually hone; I will not consider myself a hone meister, that would be presumptuous, but I am pleased with my edges, and so are the fellow forumites that have purchased razors from me. Either that, or I've sold to the nicest bunch of people ever.

With old work injuries the DE gets the nod on 'bad hand days' . If it's been a good week my 41c gets to play on Sunday, partly for enjoyment and partly because the skills are transferable. I shave my head every other night with a Henson, so if the routine is thrown off it does a face pass sometimes too.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I wore a full beard for years and rarely picked up a razor. The DE curiosity got me shaving again. Then I revisited SR shaving after an almost 30 year gap. I almost exclusively use a SR with the rare DE shave for fun. The beard is making a comeback and I’m finding the SR an awesome tool for detailing presently.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What is interesting is that, so far, the results of this poll show that well over 80% of those who start SR shaving stick with it exclusively or almost exclusively.

I go back and forth between a safety and a straight, the deciding factor being how much time I have. If I’m in a hurry, it’s a safety. If I have the time, I reach for a straight.

While the results are showing most people stick with straight razors we are also in the straight razor part of the forum. Interested to see what the same poll would show in the DE section
Yup. As in my OP....That was my concern when trying to figure where to post this.

Straight razor more than 90% of the time.
Fatib Piccolo DE open comb when I am really in a hurry and need a SAS. It's so tiny I hold it between my thumb and index finger. Cute!

About once in 6 months I will put a new blade in my Feather SS and shave with it for a week. Last time I was surprised how many times I nicked myself. Three days in a row there was blood, until I learned my lesson and went waaaay more careful than with a straight. This week I started the exercise again, and so far only one small nick, probably a bump. Looks like I do learn, eventually.

It’s a straight razor for me over 99% of the time now. I think that I used a DE once in the past year. I even put together a SR travel kit now so it’s a very rare occasion that I use a DE now.

I do keep one DE in the shower for manscaping so technically I use one daily. The rest are doing serious time packed up in the garage. I figure that stainless steel isn’t going to go off. Someday I might want to use them again or pass them on. It is handy to have a loaded DE on hand for those days where you get everything packed up and notice that you missed a spot.

I have never used a safety razor. Or an electric. Went from cartridges to straights and never looked back. I haven't used a cartridge in the three years or so since I started using straights. Full disclosure: I have also mostly had some form of beard and mustache for twenty some years.

95% Straight Razor shaving lately. More economical that way and if I have an issue with the edge, I look at the guy who honed it last in the mirror each morning. I love the routine, the strop, the lather the entire process of honing and being my own Quality Control.

As a back up if I'm in a hurry, I have a DE Razor loaded with a Perma Sharp ready at hand.

After getting some honing skills, I was able to get a reasonable SR shave.

A Feather blade in a DE razor works just as well, IMHO, and doesn't cut nearly as deep when I'm careless. So the straights sit, oiled, in a box in a drawer; the DE's are in my medicine cabinet by the sink. Much more relaxing that way.

. Charles

Top Bottom