What's new

After shaving with a straight razor for a year at least. Would you ever go back to DE shaving

If you want a quick lesson in why the de blade can be very annoying stick a feather with one shave on it already in a Merkur Futur.

I like the variety, especially when using my vintage Personna 74 and Wilkinson Light Brigade blades. I am no purist. However using a straight is much more fun and zen!

Also, if I am being 100% honest with myself I get a better shave with my STAR Model 100 DAE razor than I do with my straights. I have a wonky growth pattern right under my jawline to upper neck, and I havent yet been able to get it all BBS with a straight. I have come close with holding the razor at strange angles and extra effort. However, that being said, this isn’t necessarily always about the final result...is it?

Vr

Matt

If you want a quick lesson in why the de blade can be very annoying stick a feather with one shave on it already in a Merkur Futur.
I'd like very much to know if I could make my DE shaves better.
I was using a gillette slim with a astra blade in it first but was horrible ATG so swapped to a feather but was almost exactly the same.
Have tried a shave with it after that experience out of curiosity but was about the same so i stopped before i cut myself up again.
Can another DE make the blade feel/behave any different?

I'd like very much to know if I could make my DE shaves better.
I was using a gillette slim with a astra blade in it first but was horrible ATG so swapped to a feather but was almost exactly the same.
Have tried a shave with it after that experience out of curiosity but was about the same so i stopped before i cut myself up again.
Can another DE make the blade feel/behave any different?

YES! Try the vintage Personna 74 blades! They are king in my opinion...super sharp, ultra smooth, and ridiculous longevity...20+ shaves from one blade!

As far as DE razors go, try the inexpensive and humble STAR Mode 100.

There are also other variables...I have found castle Forbes lime to be a wonderful cream that hits the mark over and over again!
Vr

Matt

I just want a smooth, irritation free shave. I've found three solutions.
1) Any of my straight razors
2) Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade
3) Gillette Slim set at 2 with a Feather blade

I go for a straight razor most mornings because it's become my morning meditation/ritual. But, changing things up keeps it interesting. JMTCW

I use both DE and straight. I get great shaves from my Rockwell with Astra or Gillette silver blue blades.

Some days are for straights, some are DE. Last few shaves this week have all been DE.

I would not go back to using DE razors full time. Though I still like to use them when traveling or when I only have a minute or two to shave.

I mostly use a variety of shavettes. In some ways they are easier to use than a variety of DEs, in that the blade angle is always known.

Two years into shaving with straight razors (and rest of my life with DE) and I genuinely like both equally.

I switch back and forth regularly with no firm rule. I'll randomly alternate between the shaves, sometimes go weeks with only using one, whatever I feel like. And yes, I get great shaves from both, so why limit myself to only one.

Top Bottom