What's new

After shaves.

Hey everyone. Hope you're well! So the dilemma I face is that my wife has always been quite sensitive to scents which makes it very difficult to find something that doesn't make her feel sick or give her a headache. She has always loved Davidoff Cool Water but I was hoping to find something I bit cheaper along the same lines price wise as Brut, Old Spice, Clubman, Skin Bracer which by the way I have tried and she didn't like them. Thanks in advance.

Hey - I think the sweeter smells are more likely to give the headachy reaction - I'd put Old Spice, Clubman and Brut all in that category. Maybe something "cleaner" smelling? The old Aqua Velva classic is a super clean, not too sweet, scent. It feels great going on and the initial pop of fragrance doesn't stick around too long. And at like $4, might as well try it.

Or, my last "new try" was the Stirling Lime with menthol. It's very crisp, has a subtle character, and after 30 minutes just has bit of lime going on. Maybe give that a try?

There are a few artisan soaps/aftershaves that are based on Cool Water, but not as cheap as the pharmacy brands you've listed. Probably in the $15-20 range. I think WSP has one

Myrsol Plastic (just kidding, said to be one of the more "unusual" scents).

I'd second Nivea--pretty innocuous.

The problem is that anything "unscented" still smells like something (usually worse than having an obvious scent).

Sounds like you need a new wife. :)
3EBF4134-C0C2-4AC7-ACA1-D5EB761D65B7.jpeg

Try some samples of Captain's Choice -- they seem to be very lightly scented and the Bay Rum is spicy. Sadly, they will probably smell different to your wife. Worth a try, the samples are inexpensive.

Lol, scents are VERY subjective and the sense of smell is highly variable. I can't stand A&F Fierce, for example, or Drakkar Noir. Walk past someone wearing either one and I'll smell it on my clothes for days, literally. Don't know what it is, but some component I can smell 10,000 times as much as other people do, and I can't handle it.

On the other hand, Arko smells of lavender to me, and while it's strong, it's not objectionable.

What does she like? What perfume does she wear? Maybe you can start there and find something similar that you both enjoy. Good luck with your search.

I alternate use between Lucky Tiger and Spieck...for splashes, and Nivea Sensitive and Nivea Sensitive Cooling for balms...All have short-lived scents and no complaints from my scent-sitive wife.

CO Bigelow "white" (B&BW) EdT spray isn't sweet and mixes nicely on top of those face soothers. The CO Bigelow Blue is a nice enough cool-water knock-off

Top Bottom