What's new

After shave blade treatment

So, I wash shaving before work today and realized I do something I've never heard others say they do. Not sure if this is the right section because I do it for the razor and the blade.
But I have a small Ziploc storage container with 91% alcohol and after shaving and cleaning up my brush, I rinse my razor with blade in well, blow out excess water, then dunk head into the alcohol a couple times.
My reasoning is this. A long time ago when washing a cut in the bathroom I poured alcohol on it and noticed when the alcohol hit the wet sink it drive away the water around it.
So I do this after to chase all the water out of the razor head (especially adjustables and TTOs) and it dries really well when it evaporates.
I have no idea if it helps lol.
But I think it does.
And I have noticed my razors still get soap scum but not at all like they did without the alcohol dip.
Then I put them back in the rack, doors open if a TTO to dry.
Just wanted to share. No idea if it really helps but they never have water spots haha
IMG_20180123_015238-1160x870-1.jpg

Don’t know about your question, but I love the rack. Is that an old rubber stamp rack?
Yes. I have 2. One for modern and one for vintage
Also test tube racks for others that don't make it into rotation as often.
IMG_20180123_015248-1160x870.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_180123_022421720-1160x870.jpg

They were stamp carousels for a library

I know of several folks who use an alcohol dip for their blades on this forum. One even had a recipe for a dip that included glycerin (if I'm not mistaken). I see it much like oiling a SR blade between uses. However, since these DE blades are so cheap, I generally rinse in water and hang it up to dry.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Water is no friend to a drying blade, so it's probably a good idea. I only use each blade for 12 passes, so I just rinse, towel dry the head and put it back on the shelf.

I just rinse and towel dry with the blade still in and have never had an issue, but I'm sure your method couldn't hurt. Nice looking setup btw.

I just rinse and towel dry with the blade still in and have never had an issue, but I'm sure your method couldn't hurt. Nice looking setup btw.
Thanks. Sadly for other looking besides on this site, but to my excitement, it's not even close to all of it
Those are just ones in rotation lol

I have been using the alcohol dip for many years. It displaces any water on the blade. I never have a rust problem with my razors or blades.

I have been using the alcohol dip for many years. It displaces any water on the blade. I never have a rust problem with my razors or blades.

Well what do you know. Thanks for posting the thread!! I didn't even do a search.
Just dawned on me that day while doing it and wondering if anyone else does it.

Yes. I have 2. One for modern and one for vintage
Also test tube racks for others that don't make it into rotation as often.
View attachment 1158410
View attachment 1158411

They were stamp carousels for a library
I love those. My wife doesn’t need to see all of my Razors in one place though. My razor budget would be cut drastically!

Re: blade maintenance... I take the blade out of the razor, dry it off on a towel along with my razor parts and put it back in the razor. I only use the blades 2-5x, so I am not too worried about rust, corrosion, etc.

Last edited:
I love those. My wife doesn’t need to see all of my Razors in one place though. My razor budget would be cut drastically!

Re: blade maintenance... I take the blade out of the razor, dry it off on a towel along with my razor parts and put it back in the razor. I only use the blades 2-5x, so I am not too worried about rust, corrosion, etc.
Oh those aren't all my razors haha. Those are just the ones I'm use rotation.
Can't have them all out if look like a crazy person!!! My girl already asks why not just one razor? A
Well, I didn't have the time to explain because her eyes started rolling.
She never asked again haha

These are my favorites (add a gillette rocket superspeed that wasn't there when taking the picture
Found my favorites, then had them all replated to brand new.
IMG_20180123_015304-1160x870-1.jpg

Chose the TV special flare tip because I like flare tips but if I'm replating it may as well be a more rare one.

I don't really treat my blades post shave. I'll rinse it, dry it off and loosen the razor cap when finished. I'll wash my brushes in Johnson baby shampoo once a month to keep them clean. All of my brushes are synthetic so I figured it wouldn't hurt them doing that. So far it's worked well.

Top Bottom