What's new

After Shave as Moisturizer

So I had another one of those "Mmmmhhh, why not" ideas.

I'm lucky enough to have my own bathroom and shower at work. I've got a second stockpile of shave creams, razors, etc. there.

After a lunch time workout, I wanted to put on some moisturizer and thought, "why the hell don't I just use an aftershave balm instead. If it's good enough in the AM after a shave, why not later in the day? Why spend money on some other type of lotion?" :001_huh:

So, my question to us all is, "Is there any appreciable difference between an aftershave and any old moisturizer?"

Other than thinking, "Man I missed a few spots that grew back too quick," I didn't see any big difference between putting it on a few minutes and a few hours after shaving.

BTW, it was Proraso's Liquid Cream After-Shave.

Hello Mustafa,

I use all my after-shave balms as moisturizers. My requirement for an ASB is for it to be alcohol-free, to moisturize, go on easy, be absorbed into the skin and not leave my skin feeling greasy. Most ASBs do not fill this role.

I use the following balms in my rotation: CF Limes, CF Lavender, CF 1445, Nancy Boy, Floris Santal, C&E Sienna, Neutrogena Face Lotion.

I use them at night after the shower if I can see my face needs some added moisture. Another benefit is they can be used as a hand lotion as well. That is a good test of a balm - how does it feel on your hands. I always spray some hydrosol or toner on my face first before applying the balm. It goes on easier and smoother.

This is what I do; I am sure others will chime in with their routines.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

I have similar routine uses for my aftershave balms. Though contrary to Richard's findings, there is the occasional ASB that has some additional medicinal ingredient that I may only find suitable for après rasage use.

I have very dry skin, so I like to have one stop shopping for ASB and moisturizer. I also spritz on a bit of hydrosol before applying it. It is very hard to find an ASB that does double-duty without being greasy. My go-to rotation is Harris AfterShaving Milk, C&E ASB, and L'Occitane CADE.

If you have an a/s that moisturizes well, then I don't suppose there would be any need for an additional moisturizer.

One product, however, that I have found to be very interesting is Corn Husker's Lotion. It is a glycerin based, oil-free lotion that moisturizes and seals the skin. I often times jog during the noon hour and after showering, find this stuff to be an excellent tool for keeping my face in great shape. Depending on the moisturizing capabilities of the a/s that I have chosen for the day, I will sometimes layer the Corn Husker's on as a final product.

Scotto said:
I have very dry skin, so I like to have one stop shopping for ASB and moisturizer. I also spritz on a bit of hydrosol before applying it. It is very hard to find an ASB that does double-duty without being greasy. My go-to rotation is Harris AfterShaving Milk, C&E ASB, and L'Occitane CADE.

Scotto -

Your choices perfectly mirror mine. I have a few others that are close (Proaso liquid cream A/S and Ultra Shave)

The Harris Milk and the C&E were two astonishing finds, IMO. It's incredible how soft they make my face in just a couple of minutes. The L'Occitane CADE products were one of those "I can't believe I just tried these!!" moments.

In the shower today I tried washing my face with a rag and the dr. bronners soap (I usually just use my hands to lather and wash my face), well even though the rag was soft, it BURNED the heck out of my forehead. I guess my "T-zone" is more sensitive than the rest of my face/neck. Anyway, it was miserable for about half the day, kind of like razorburn times ten. That made me think this afternoon to try some Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm to soothe it, it worked wonderfully. I'm learning with this new soap to not take the tea tree oil for granted, it can get quite potent if I overdo it.

guenron said:
I have similar routine uses for my aftershave balms. Though contrary to Richard's findings, there is the occasional ASB that has some additional medicinal ingredient that I may only find suitable for après rasage use.

i wished you would learn to spell, so I can read this stuff !!!!

:001_rolle

mark tssb

I'm perplexed by the Trumpers Coral and Lime Skin Foods. They cool down any aftershave burning but disappear rapidly and leave the skin feeling very non-mosturized. What's the deal with this stuff - why wouldn't it provide mosturizing benefits considering the high cost?

I know I'm just a newbie on this forum, but could a few of you try a fun little experiment just for the heck of it please?

Next time you shave and get some irritation do the same thing that your wife/girlfriend does when she gets irritation from shaving "sensitive" areas, and use a good fragrance free lotion like cetaphil, dove, etc.

You guys are just like me and you love to acquire tools, a.k.a. "gadget geeks".

It's cool when an exotic/expensive little bottle of aftershave solves your irritation problems, but it's even cooler when a huge and affordable bottle of lotion does the same thing.

Just a thought;
Sorry if my idea offends anyone and I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Dave

Dave,

First off, welcome to B&B.

I have tried what you are suggesting. Products tested include:

Cetaphil
Dove
Aveeno
Aveeno Baby
Kiss My Face

None of these products did anything special or even notable for me. If you want great performance at a great price, the Proraso line of products comes to mind, and I am sure that some of our veterans here can list many more.

Pilot said:
I'm perplexed by the Trumpers Coral and Lime Skin Foods. They cool down any aftershave burning but disappear rapidly and leave the skin feeling very non-mosturized. What's the deal with this stuff - why wouldn't it provide mosturizing benefits considering the high cost?
Greetings Pilot,

Trumpers Skin Food is an excellent product to apply after a moisturizer. It will lock it in and give your face a matt finish - excellent for those with oily skin.

I personally do not find Skin Food very effective against irritation or as a moisturizer in and of itself.

Once I've suffered irritation, NO moisturizer I've tried is enough to cure it. I seem to have to use an alcohol-based solution like Tendskin FIRST to stop the irritation -- then moisturize afterwards.

Anyone else find this to be true for them?

vontech said:
Once I've suffered irritation, NO moisturizer I've tried is enough to cure it. I seem to have to use an alcohol-based solution like Tendskin FIRST to stop the irritation -- then moisturize afterwards.

Anyone else find this to be true for them?
Yes and No. How's that for a hedge? I turn to a balm when I encounter irritation. One that I find most healing is the T&H Classic. Some gents are unable to use it because of the lanolin, but I find it is truly magical in its ability to put out the fire. The differences between moisturizers and balms is one that too many gents overlook.
For my part, I find that a balm must satisfy three functions:
  1. Moisturizer
  2. Antifeu
  3. Toning-Sealant or Astringent
The last item is really best summed up as a tonic for the skin. I do not believe that there are any products presently available that fill the bill 100% in all of those categories, but some do an excellent job in two and passably in a third. That's why I have a cabinet full of them.:blush:

guenron said:
  1. Moisturizer
  2. Antifeu
  3. Toning-Sealant or Astringent

Ron,

Do you find yourself applying predominantly balms later in the day (apres-rasage) or do you stick to traditional moisturizers?

KUJO said:
Ron,

Do you find yourself applying predominantly balms later in the day (apres-rasage) or do you stick to traditional moisturizers?
Mostly balms.. Those that I have (with the exception of two or three) are excellent moisturizers and well suited to keeping the old visage from crumbling..:wink2:

I always read the ingredients before buying, specifically searching for glycerin. Smell is an important consideration, of course, but I look for my AS to tone and "moisturize" my skin. I've found that the best ones for my skin, coupled with winning scents, are CC and PAA.

I use corn huskers as an a/s balm after I use alcohol a/s such as Clubman or Lucky Tiger. I put a little in my palm and dilute it with two or three drops of water. It works great!

People are probably getting tired of hearing this from me, but anyway . . .

When I apply my after shave balms, I always apply them (in moderate amounts) to my entire face and neck. I think I have fairly normal skin, and I don’t live in a particularly dry environment, but once you get past the age of 45 or so, I encourage you to moisturize daily.

Most of the year, I use Chatillon Lux post shave salve, which is mostly shea butter, but with aloe and natural oils and such. I highly recommend shea butter in any form. The rest of the time (summer, mostly) I use either Captain’s Choice or Soap Commander balms, depending on whether I want menthol or not.

Top Bottom