What's new

After Shave, After Shave Balms, Moisturizers, Serums - HELP !

ok....Someone PLEASE tell the difference between all of the ones I mentioned above...and do you REALLY need all of this

and when do you use an after shave, after shave balm or moisturizer? Is the after shave Balm considered moisturizing? If you use one do you really need to use the other ? I dont have 80 bucks to spend on all of these 4 products BUT I know with DE razor shaving perhaps a good moisturizer is definitely needed...I have VERY dry skin here living in Florida and I'm out in the sun quite a bit but I need something that's more matte finished or something that won't make me look sweaty or greasy looking...

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys....I am like a sponge and taking this all in...:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

You don't need it all!

AS (aftershave) and ASB (aftershave balm) basically do the same thing, your skin type determines which you should use. If your skin is dry go for ASB (it is moisturising).

I have dry skin and shave every other day. On shave days I use ASB, on non shave days I use straight moisturiser.

Check the link for a bit more info. Also look/search in the 'general discussion-shave clinic' and 'aftershave' forums

"After shave" ("AS") seems to be used often as a generic term for almost anything applied after shaving, but given no context it usually refers to an alcohol-based splash (often specified as "after shave splash"), the classic aftershave that you know from Home Alone.
proxy.php

"After shave balm" ("ASB") refers to something with no alcohol, or not much. I'd call it a lotion, but "balm" is the popular term.

Moisturizers are pretty much just the same moisturizer lotion your mom tells you to use on your cracked hands. Haven't seen "serum" used, can't help with that.

The idea with AS, ASB, and various stuff used in their place is to disinfect, close pores, help heal damage, provide a scent, and/or moisturize. There's no requirement that you use anything at all; you could just rinse the lather from your face and call it done if you want. A cold water rinse closes pores and small nicks quickly. If you find that you need something more, you can try something more.

Regarding cost:
There's a lot of talk of high-end luxury stuff on Badger & Blade. Equipment, soaps, creams, AS, ASB, whatever, it seems most popular to talk about the sort of stuff that people in a whole different financial class from me would buy. I neither want nor can afford most of it. You don't have to participate in that stuff either. You can equip yourself with a bathroom collection covering every category of post-shave product for $20. At Walmart or your favorite supermarket you can find after shave splash, ASB, moisturizers, plain generic witch hazel, and styptic pencils (for stopping bleeding at nicks) for $1 to $5 each. I like Gillette white sensitive skin after shave lotion, which is $2. Dollar stores even have most of this stuff.

Chances are you even have a few skin lotions hanging around. You could try them and find that they work great for you. You might also have after shave splash from a gift set collecting dust in your cabinet. Etc.

The only thing I can think of that you might want that you won't find like that is an alum block, which you rub on your skin to close small nicks, close pores, and provide feedback (in the form of sting) that tells you how good your blade and technique are. You can get it for under $7 shipped at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXELII
Buy from seller TulumbaMarketing to avoid needing a large order and Free Super Saver Shipping.

Last edited:
I've gotten in the habit of using a splash and a balm. I just like the way it makes my face feel. From viewing a mantic59 video you put the lighter product on first and then move to the heavier product. So this morning I used the Captain's Choice Lime followed by the Nivea Post Shave Balm.

Having said all that, I sometimes will go with just a balm. I rarely just use a splash by itself. I used to use just Skin Bracer back in the cartridge days, but that was before I discovered all of these wonderful products!

Thanks for sharing...VERY helpful info ! I purchased some Mama Bear's Summer After shave balm unscented and its a bit too watery for me...I've heard VERY good things about this company and their product line...Is there any other After shave Balm out there that you guys guys can recommend thats highly moisturizing (have dry skin), that's UNSCENTED and high quality? I also have TwinLuxe's Smoothing Balm too and its fantastic but its 65 bucks ! ZOWZA !!! Im looking for something thats quality natural ingredients, that's reasonably price that will do the trick...Any suggestions ???

In another response I mentioned Aveeno aftershave cream. After reading these posts, I'm thinking that would be too greasy. Try the Anthony aftershave. $20 for 2.5oz but you can find it cheaper on line. I just picked up a tube on eBay for 10 bucks. Use sparingly. A little dab will do ya.

Thanks for sharing...VERY helpful info ! I purchased some Mama Bear's Summer After shave balm unscented and its a bit too watery for me...I've heard VERY good things about this company and their product line...Is there any other After shave Balm out there that you guys guys can recommend thats highly moisturizing (have dry skin), that's UNSCENTED and high quality? I also have TwinLuxe's Smoothing Balm too and its fantastic but its 65 bucks ! ZOWZA !!! Im looking for something thats quality natural ingredients, that's reasonably price that will do the trick...Any suggestions ???

I can't speak entirely to its effectiveness or ingredients, but Everyman Jack post-shave balm is inexpensive ($2.50 for 5oz at Walmart if they have any left) and the Mint scent is so mild I can't smell it at all.

I would recommend Aveeno aftershave lotion. It is inexpensive and excellent. Someone mentioned it being greasy, but I don't find it that way at all. I think you find that if you use a small amount your dry skin will just soak it up. It is very soothing and moisturizing and has virtually no scent. Aveeno all the way!

Top Bottom