What's new

After Merkur 23C, what?

I am a re-discoverer of DE safety razor shaving after more than 25 years. I restarted DE shaving with Feather Popular in the month of May and then ordered a Merkur 34C HD. But in the box of 34C I got a Merkur 23C. I accepted it and have started shaving with it since last week or so but find it a bit slippery and light weight. I am happy to pass it on to my son and purchase another razor. I want your suggestions on which razor should I purchase. If I purchase 34C HD will it be any different or better than 23C? With your suggestions please let me know in what way that razor will be better than 23C. I am new on this forum and this is my first major post here. Thanks everyone in advance.

Welcome aboard Andy. Or should I say Kia Ora?

I believe that the head on the 34C is the same as on your current 23C - the big difference is in the length and thickness of the handle (with the 34C being shorter, thicker and overall a heavier razor). I'm not sure if that will make it easier for you to hold, but it is something to consider.

If you would consider the idea of a pre-loved razor, there is a huge range of vintage stuff out there. Many of us shave regularly with razors which are older than we are and they still do a fantastic job. It may mean looking at eBay or our own BST Forum, and if you are from NZ as I suspect, you may need to factor in availability for your part of the world.

Good luck and please feel free to fire away should you have further questions.

I don't think between those two choices there will be enough difference, unless the slim handle of the 23C bothers you. They may in fact share the same head (don't quote me on that till someone else can confirm).

If it's within budget, a Merkur Progress may be a good option. It's an adjustable that is what I've been using for the past several months. Adjusted to minimum blade exposure, it feel identical to the 34C to me, but adjusted upward you get substantially more efficiency while remaining a smooth razor.

And don't forget the Parker Variant...a bunch of folks here rave about it. Good luck on your decision.

If you're after a razor with a good grip and a bit of weight, the Rockwell 6S would be an excellent option. It's one of the smoothest of the 30+ DE razors I own, vintage and modern, and should last for ever, being made of stainless steel. It also has the advantage of being adjustable, by swapping/turning over base plates. It is quite expensive, but I think you get a lot for your money. The 6S is made in the US, but is also sold by a vendor in the UK, and might even be available in NZ.

If I purchase 34C HD will it be any different or better than 23C? With your suggestions please let me know in what way that razor will be better than 23C.
You are still working on technique so perhaps not found the best blade so perhaps persevere with the 23C a while longer. If you are happy with the shave results and still want a change, stay with a 34C HD which is a 2-piece razor with the same head. It has good grip and manoeuvrability and seems to work with most blades. With good preparation and lather the 34C HD is a great performer and certainly wont slip.
If you want to try an adjustable razor, the Progress or Parker Variant would be a good change; allowing to dial in the setting for your circumstances. An adjustable is useful when you want to increase aggressive blade contact for multi day stubble.

If you like the performance of the head, have you considered just purchasing a new handle? Someone like Maggards sell handles pretty cheap. They are made out of stainless steel, so heavier with a better grip.

If you like the shave 23C gives, then buy a high quality stainless steel handle! As said above, 34C and 23C got the same head. There are many stainless steel handles to choose between and they add quite a bit of weight. I prefer them over plated brass or plated zamak.
When buying a handle, you could consider to buy a whole razor and use the handle. For example RR Old Type got stainless steel handle and the whole razor is just $15.

If you do not like the Merkur 23C head and you want a completely new razor, you will get about as many suggestions as there are members seeing this thread. My own favorites are the iKon Shavecraft #102 and X3 slants. Both are super mild and smooth.

Your original intent was to get a Merkur 34C. Get one! Everyone should have a 34C.

The thickness of the handle and the heaviness of the handle affect a razor's performance to a surprising degree. You will find slightly better aggression and a more hand friendly handle on the Merkur 34C. It's a flagship razor. Get one!

I dont think theres a huge difference from the 23C to the 34C. The head design is similar, with the only difference being that the 34 is a 2-piece and has a shorter, thicker handle.
Some razors that you could consider that would be different are the 37c (barberpole) and the 43c (similar to the barberpole but a 3-piece and a smooth handle). Both are heavier than the 23c and 34c, so they are a bit more aggressive.

For what it's worth, I get great shaves with 38C, and while head might be the same as what you have (I'm not sure if they are), I personally like the additional weight of 38C (twice the weight of 23C). I'm not sure that it would be significant "upgrade" to be honest, but if you want to stick with same brand, additional weight is nice, it just has more substantial feel in your hand.

In "MY" case I find the 34C a mite too aggressive, but I have really, tender, sensitive, skin. If I was in your shoes I think I would go with a Progress. Both it and the 34C feel better to my hand than what you've got. The Progress is a little heavier, but not a lot, and you get a much broader range.

Good luck,
Ron

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Your original intent was to get a Merkur 34C. Get one! Everyone should have a 34C.

The thickness of the handle and the heaviness of the handle affect a razor's performance to a surprising degree. You will find slightly better aggression and a more hand friendly handle on the Merkur 34C. It's a flagship razor. Get one!
+1

No one's recommended a slant, so I will. Jump right in with something still affordable, but different and efficient. Suggest a Merkur 39C (sledgehammer), it'll fill your hand, or it's shorter more lightweight brother 37C. Watch a few YouTube videos for more info.

Some razors that you could consider that would be different are the 37c (barberpole) and the 43c (similar to the barberpole but a 3-piece and a smooth handle). Both are heavier than the 23c and 34c, so they are a bit more aggressive.
The 37C is the slant bar. The 39C (aka the Sledgehammer) is the long handled version of the slant bar. The 38C (aka the Barberpole) is the long handled version of the 34C. An alternative long handle is the 43C.
I do like the Sledgehammer but it is really for experienced shavers and should not be considered at this stage. A future acquisition perhaps!

...Some razors that you could consider that would be different are the 37c (barberpole) and the 43c (similar to the barberpole but a 3-piece and a smooth handle). Both are heavier than the 23c and 34c, so they are a bit more aggressive.

Oops, sorry, beat me to it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
There is also the Gillette fat handle Tech to consider.

proxy.php

Yeah, I think if you like the 23C, the next logical step would be something different, not something similar. Vintage vs. modern; stainless vs. Zamak; open comb vs. solid bar; SE vs. DE, that kind of thing.

I started with a 23C, and I still love it. I go back to it, because it provides me a benchmark (and excellent shaves). But one of the really interesting things to me about this hobby is all the variety to try. I've discovered some remarkable razors (and learned that not all work very well for me) that I never would have known about if I'd stayed with what was already working.

I also started out with a 23C. It was fine for a long time, but eventually I grew to dislike the thin handle. Replaced it with a Maggard MR5 handle and it became a different razor. MUCH improved in my opinion. Still my #1 despite a growing collection.

I dont think theres a huge difference from the 23C to the 34C. The head design is similar, with the only difference being that the 34 is a 2-piece and has a shorter, thicker handle.

I won't edit your post to correct it, but I believe that you will find that the 37C is the HD Slant (used mine this morning) and the 38C is the Barber Pole handle version of the 34C.

The 37C is the slant bar. The 39C (aka the Sledgehammer) is the long handled version of the slant bar. The 38C (aka the Barberpole) is the long handled version of the 34C. An alternative long handle is the 43C.
I do like the Sledgehammer but it is really for experienced shavers and should not be considered at this stage. A future acquisition perhaps!
I won't edit your post to correct it, but I believe that you will find that the 37C is the HD Slant (used mine this morning) and the 38C is the Barber Pole handle version of the 34C.
Youre right. My bad, guys.
There is also the Gillette fat handle Tech to consider.

proxy.php
I find the Tech to be milder than a Merkur. I love the Tech because theyre super cool but I found that, like the Feather AS-D2, for me its much akin to shaving with a dull butter knife.

Top Bottom