What's new

After lathering what's the best soap care?

I'm 100% sure this has been covered previously but I searched and couldn't find a thread on it.

After lathering a soap in a tin or jar is it advisable let it air dry for a while before replacing the lid? I ask because I just saw a You Tube video of a soap on which some mold had started growing. That was explained as the owner replaced the lid before he should have and the soap was still wet.

Some soaps are so hard I like to pre-soak them for a few minutes but I always pour the excess water off before loading. If it is a softer soap I don't find that necessary but I always start loading with a wet brush so that introduces water and no doubt leaves some behind.

Thanks in advance fo any helpful comments.

Last edited:
I wipe off the wet lather with a tissue and let it air dry until my next shave. Some people say it will make the scent fade away, but it hasn't been the case for me.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I never had a problem with closing up a container of soap while still damp. I've never seen mold grow on soap

I don't see how mold can grow on soap unless it's made with some kind of perishable. The ph and nutrient content of soap should be far less than ideal for most soaps for any kind of organism to grow. I could be completely wrong, because I'm basing that on several assumptions, but I always put mine away damp, and I've never had a problem.

I re-cover my Cella (because it has a lid, and I'd probably misplace it otherwise) after a couple of hours air-drying. My other soaps stay in open cups all the time. Never had a problem.

I've read about some soft soaps going bad from being stored wet.

I rinse off excess lather, leave mine to air dry, and put the lid on later in the evening. I figure this is good enough since I rotate through several different soaps in a given week.

Interesting comments so far. I have a sample of Mike's and a refill puck of Gold Dachs. Neither of the containers in which I put the soaps have a lid. I let the soaps dry for a couple of hours and then cover them with a make-shift lid. I do leave the extra lather on the puck. I may quit covering as a result of this thread.

I've read about some soft soaps going bad from being stored wet.

I rinse off excess lather, leave mine to air dry, and put the lid on later in the evening. I figure this is good enough since I rotate through several different soaps in a given week.

I do this as well. Leave uncovered then cover back up when I get home in the evening.

This is interesting because it is something I never gave any thought to how I handle them. I also wipe off the container and replace the lid when the shave is done. Therefore the surface is always damp from loading. Have not had any problems so far but will have to keep an eye on them. Until now I've been more concerned about rusting of tins from the moisture than mold.

I also let my soap dry for at least a few hours before putting the lid back on. If you use the same soap everyday then you are unlikely to have a problem. But a soap left wet in a dark place will grow mold. I have seen mildew on the top of one of my soap lids. So it is certainly possible. I think how tight the seal is on the lid may also have an effect.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and and I should hve mentioned my method. All of the sops I use are in some sort of dish, and all but one of those have fitted lids. After showering and shaving I direct a floor standing Vornado fan to blow into the bathroom and place the damp brush and open soap so the moving air will come close. After a couple of hours I check the soap and if appears dry enough, I replace the lid.

I load and store soap in 1C glass jars with lids. After a little while to dry, I put the lids back on because then they are stackable, which saves a lot of space.

I hate going through extra steps, so I just rinse off the lather, screw the top back on (I use Barrister & Mann soaps in their plastic tubs, but I think this can apply to just about any soap in a jar or tub or bowl), and that's it. I've never had a problem with doing that.

I never had a problem with closing up a container of soap while still damp. I've never seen mold grow on soap

I just opened the thread, haven't read through all the responses, but ^+1. I have some that are close to a year old (new by some standards!), and no mold.

Top Bottom