What's new

After decades years of electrics I'm back to the DE

Friends,
I'm new here; just wanted to say Hi. I learned to shave with a Gillette Super Speed in the '60's. Then, in the late '70's I was seduced away (perhaps by the ads read by Paul Harvey) to a Schick Flexomatic, then to a Remington. Now that I'm older and wiser I've returned to the DE world. I got myself a c. 1948 SS (my original disappeared ages ago) and have a Tech on the way. I used to use Gillette Foamy - - am now trying D.R. Harris's "Marlborough" and brush. Seems good so far.
Am thinking of going after a Gillette New Type model - don't know if I should be looking for long or short comb. Maybe even venturing into an Old Type. I don't want something very aggressive....at least not until I get my technique back again. But, I'm an "old fashioned" kinda guy so would prefer to use an older DE if I can do so without chopping myself up. Any advise as to long or short comb would be welcomed. I've been doing lots of reading here. So many people with such vast knowledge....I'll keep my head down and do more reading.
Good to see you.

Welcome to the B&B forums. Dr. Harris makes makes great soaps. You might want to also consider a Gillette Super Speed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Hello and welcome to B&B.... And back to D.E. shaving. You could buy and try the ones you mentioned, what you like or don't like is subjective. I like trying all that interest me. It's fun and not many Gillette's that aren't great shavers.

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you're off to a great start! :thumbup1:

NEWs are nice in either the long or the short comb, I would give a slight preference to the SC and a big preference to the bar handle over the ball end. But to be honest I reach for an OLD much more often than a NEW. You really can't go wrong with any Gillette DE.

Thank you all, very kindly. Since DE in the "user" class rather than the "collector" class aren't that expensive I'm sure in the next few months I'll accumulate enough to convince my wife (if she's not convinced already) that I've lost my mind.

If you want to go vintage, then think of a super speed Gillette or a Slim. I really like the Slim because it is well made, reasonable, readily available, and you can adjust its aggressiveness to suit your beard and skin. If you go the adjustable route, pick a lower setting and stick with it for a while.

If you keep the pressure off of the blade and use the right angle, you should not have a problem. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.

If you want to go vintage, then think of a super speed Gillette or a Slim. I really like the Slim because it is well made, reasonable, readily available, and you can adjust its aggressiveness to suit your beard and skin. If you go the adjustable route, pick a lower setting and stick with it for a while.

If you keep the pressure off of the blade and use the right angle, you should not have a problem. The usual advice is to let the weight of the razor do the job - not put pressure on the blade. To put that in action I have found that using the two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on each photo to load it.

For information about blade angle, look here in the wiki.
These articles are extraordinarily helpful! I had to go get a razor to see how I was holding it - both in hand and angle. Thank you very much, indeed.
I'm using a super speed now. A Tech is on the way via ebay. But, I hope to land a Old and a New before too long. Thanks again.

Welcome to B&B. Kudos to you for returning to your roots. The only open comb I own is a '38 Sheraton, so I cannot advise you on long vs. short comb. Have you checked the Wiki link at the top here? Lots of great info there. Enjoy your shaves! :001_smile

I've been wading through the mountains (morass?) of information. It's addicting. Seems that since we're not dealing with classic Ferraris here that the best thing to do is pick up both a long and a short comb and give 'em a test drive. In fact, I was thinking that a test tube holder might make for a good razor holder so I could easily rotate among the accumulating razors.

Top Bottom