What's new

After a salt and alcohol treatment my stem won't fit back in

I've honestly never removed the bit from my pipes to sweeten any of them whether it be just run 151 rum soaked pipe cleaners through them or going the whole nine yards with the salt treatment. After it's dry I'll remove my bits and thoroughly clean it then always give it a coat of pencil graphite before reinserting it. Haven't had a bit problem since 1979.

That's advice I'll follow until 2079. Wish I'd heard it earlier :)
Thank you.

If it's an expensive pipe I'd sand the tenon of the bit down a little at a time until it fits if you have to before I'd remove any wood. After time if the wood shrinks or swells you can always take it to a tobacco shop and have it sent to have a new bit fitted to it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Put away the sand paper and wait. You know the saying "measure twice and cut once"? If you sand away some tenon, and the wood eventually shrinks, you can't put more tenon.

Schweet as!

Pencil rubbed on and we're back in action.

Sipping a FMO bowl right now and very happy. Thank you all for the advice.

It is tight though but I can tell it will be fine. This pipe was heavily ghosted and needed heavy salt and alcohol but patience paid off. A lesson on patience learned.

She's smoking very clean now. The tobacco is tasting as it should.

Put away the sand paper and wait. You know the saying "measure twice and cut once"? If you sand away some tenon, and the wood eventually shrinks, you can't put more tenon.

If push ever comes to shove though better tenon than mortis on an expensive pipe. You can usually get a new bit refitted for around $20 or less if you have to.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Additionally, if you have to resort to thinning a tenon that subsequently becomes too loose, they are easily expanded to get a tight fit again.

Top Bottom