What's new

After a couple months with an Occam's Razor

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I really, really did not expect much from this razor but it went on sale awhile ago and had a return policy so I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately this is turning out to be my go to AC format razor and my other AC format razors are complaining.

I will admit that the AC format is not my favorite blade out there and I most often use DE razors, then GEM format (or the Feather Valet format) with the AC format as an also ran but I've still used this enough over the last few months to have a feel on how it does with a variety of different blades and a number of different soaps/creams etc.

So far it has worked with any AC format blade I've tried including Feather Pro, Kai Titan Mild and Schick Proline. The blade is easy to change with just my fingers; no tool needed. It is without a doubt the easiest razor to flush after and during use short of a straight razor.

Some folk have said the had a hard time figuring out how to hold the sucker but for me it's been simple and intuitive. It likes a light hand and a classic Single Edge head on face angle. It loves diagonal strokes and both long and short strokes work.

The resulting shave is as good as any I from razor and any format; PDG+ near perfect two pass and minimal touchup. The shaves last a long time before noticeable stubble.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The razor comes with three different heads held in place with two Philips screws and two spare screws are included with the package. There is a noticeable difference between all three heads and I'm most happy with the medium so far. While there is a more aggressive head I do not find any significant increase in efficiency going to the three dot head and no increase in comfort dropping down to the one dot head.

proxy.php

Please explain "AC format". And I'm not familiar with the blades you refer to. Are they special to that razor? Just curious as I have enough DE blades for a long time and switch between 2 razors that work for me.

Just tried googling occam razor and I'm really confused. Is it a brand?

Nice review. I feel the same way about the Occam. It's a smooth shaver for me. I've only had one bad shave on it that was my fault. I do find I have to apply more pressure than any other SE or DE razor I have owned.

I have been unable to use the 1 dot that came with mine. The provided screws do not fully screw into the one dot leaving it dangling. I think my one dot is defective.

The standard 2 dot provides me the best results. I wish the handle was more rounded though.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Please explain "AC format". And I'm not familiar with the blades you refer to. Are they special to that razor? Just curious as I have enough DE blades for a long time and switch between 2 razors that work for me.

Just tried googling occam razor and I'm really confused. Is it a brand?
Yeah, you need to Google Occam's Razor razor and even then it is confusing. It is a brand and model that began as a KickStarter project.

The AC (Artist Club) format was initially for single edge shavettes (single edge razors with disposable blades) that then migrated to the safety razor family. It is slim but wider than an injector blade. Other razors that use that format are the Above The Tie SE1&2, Colonial General family of razors, RazoRock Hawk V1 & V2 and one from Ikon but I forget it's current name.

AC format razor blades are made by Feather, Kia and Schick right now.

Yeah, you need to Google Occam's Razor razor and even then it is confusing. It is a brand and model that began as a KickStarter project.

The AC (Artist Club) format was initially for single edge shavettes (single edge razors with disposable blades) that then migrated to the safety razor family. It is slim but wider than an injector blade. Other razors that use that format are the Above The Tie SE1&2, Colonial General family of razors, RazoRock Hawk V1 & V2 and one from Ikon but I forget it's current name.

AC format razor blades are made by Feather, Kia and Schick right now.
And Dorco.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Great review. I have had the Occam's razor about the same amount of time as the OP and completely agree with the review. It is becoming my go to AC razor. It provides a very comfortable and close shave even with the one dot top plate. I believe it is the only adjustable razor that uses AC type blades. I am surprised it does not get more comments on the shaving boards.

eric.

I’ve had mine since they first were released and on the two dot I get a decent Shave but no matter what plate for me it’s just not good around my mouth and more so under my nose. As far as AC Razors in my den I can get a closer and overall better shave out of my Brass General and ATT SE1 in less strokes and have no issues under the nose so I think it’s on it’s way out of the den along some others that don’t give me an all around great shave and I’ve tried to like it as it’s unique looking and I have no issues with the handle as some have.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was with a Schick Proline blade and another near perfect shave.

My Schick Prolines were not cut correctly, and include a 1mm extended portion of steel making their width too much to seat correctly in my Occam's razor. Thus far this has affected all three blades I have tried. The Prolines also extend beyond my General's head width exposing a very sharp edge to my face. I am hoping this does not effect all 30 of the blades.

I find the comment made by Dragonsbeard about shaving under the nose with Occam's to be accurate. I think it is my most difficult razor under the nose, and requires more effort to finally get it done. But I have been successful with it under my nose.

eric.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
My Schick Prolines were not cut correctly, and include a 1mm extended portion of steel making their width too much to seat correctly in my Occam's razor. Thus far this has affected all three blades I have tried. The Prolines also extend beyond my General's head width exposing a very sharp edge to my face. I am hoping this does not effect all 30 of the blades.

I find the comment made by Dragonsbeard about shaving under the nose with Occam's to be accurate. I think it is my most difficult razor under the nose, and requires more effort to finally get it done. But I have been successful with it under my nose.

eric.

When you contacted the seller about those Proline blades what did they say?

When you contacted the seller about those Proline blades what did they say?

I bought them from Rakuten Ichiba shop in Japan before they were available from within the US. So I haven't contacted the seller as it is probably not worth the effort. I really liked the first blade I used in my General and was really looking forward to using them in the Occam's. I am disappointed, but I have been using a dremmel to file off the extra piece (or at least smooth it out) and use it in the General. I hope not all these blades are like this. In the meantime I will make due with the KAI Mild Pink and the Feather Professional.

eric

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thread revived!

any further thoughts? What is the best blade?
Occams are coming out with two new razors that look very nice and are made of Stainless steel and they are known for quality products the Hiram & Enoch.

Occams are coming out with two new razors that look very nice and are made of Stainless steel and they are known for quality products the Hiram & Enoch.

I'm looking forward to the Hiram, as the OREN really appeals to me in all but it's weight and handle. I've got nerve issues in the shaving hand and prefer there to be a bit more heft to the razor. I know it may seem counter-intuitive on its face, but it helps me feel like something is actually in my hand and gives me some more feel in my adjustment.

Top Bottom