What's new

After a Coticule?

I am curious.

Has anyone finished off a coticule hone with a 12k Naniwa superstone or 1um or even . 05um film?

Or anything else for that matter?

James

I've done coticule to 12kss. Works fine if you like the 12k finish. Coticule to another finisher is a nice choice for guys who like using cotis.

I've done coticule to 12kss. Works fine if you like the 12k finish. Coticule to another finisher is a nice choice for guys who like using cotis.

I have been honing for a long time but never used a coticule until today. I have been mostly using synthetics (Chosera and Shapton Pros) and to a lesser degree lapping film.

I have read things all over the lot about what to do after a coti, or even nothing but strop. Given that the coti hone edge looks quite different from the synthetic or film edge in a 100x scope, I am not sure if I should try it as is or finish on something else.

--james

I am curious.
Has anyone finished off a coticule hone with a 12k Naniwa superstone or 1um or even . 05um film?
Or anything else for that matter?
James

I feel like the advantage of the coticule is the edge you get off the coticule. If you finish off a 12k naniwa, you then have a 12k naniwa edge, and you might as well get to that edge by using something faster, like a 4k followed by an 8k synthetic.

^ That's pretty accurate, unless you just enjoy using the coticule.
You can shave off a coticule just fine. It's a DAMN site better an edge than an 8k Mesh, and quite a few people shave off that. That said, if you want something a little sharper, it works just fine as a prefinisher if you like using it or don't own synths to fill in that range.

I feel like the advantage of the coticule is the edge you get off the coticule. If you finish off a 12k naniwa, you then have a 12k naniwa edge, and you might as well get to that edge by using something faster, like a 4k followed by an 8k synthetic.

I think you are right. I half reasoned that out. What I did was this:

A few light strops on a 1" x 6" NanoCloth strop sprayed with Ken Schwartz 1um cBNP and a few more on another NanoCloth strop sprated with .125 cBNP. Then 5 linen strops, 10 leather.

We'll see how that works out shortly. I'll take a backup straight into the bathroom with me.

--James

^ That's pretty accurate, unless you just enjoy using the coticule.
You can shave off a coticule just fine. It's a DAMN site better an edge than an 8k Mesh, and quite a few people shave off that. That said, if you want something a little sharper, it works just fine as a prefinisher if you like using it or don't own synths to fill in that range.

I thought as much. I have been shaving off a 15K Shapton Pro and the my coti edge loos less sharp in the microscope. But trying new things is good. I'll see how it works soon.

Everybody is different but I find coti edges to be barely shave ready. There are lots of Jnats (my oohira kiita) that leaves the same buttery edge and much faster than a coti. I find what I have to do to get a good edge(100 laps on mineral oil) to be too much work especially when I can get it very quickly on a Jnat. YMMV.

One thing that seems to be pivotal in honing on a coticule is stropping on fabric before leather. I'm not 100% sure why - my best bet is that it cleans off a lot of debris - but it definitely works better than just leather. I've never tried pastes or synthetics afterwards though so I can't help you with that. For stropping the general consensus is around 60 laps on fabric followed by 60 laps on leather. It's what many coticule users I know do. Not all though, some follow with chromium oxide, but definitely a significant number of users.

Just give it a shot.

You might consider working on raising your game on the Coti.

My experience - Coti edges arent neccessarily lacking in sharpness unless the person honing missed it.
There are a lot of factors to weigh into the equation though.
Even so - all too often, the stone is not the issue.

Coti edges usually do look terrible under a scope.
This is one reason why I say - "I dont shave with pix."

Everybody is different but I find coti edges to be barely shave ready. There are lots of Jnats (my oohira kiita) that leaves the same buttery edge and much faster than a coti. I find what I have to do to get a good edge(100 laps on mineral oil) to be too much work especially when I can get it very quickly on a Jnat. YMMV.

That's the substance of what I heard too, but a dear B&B friend told me that I needed to try a coti, so I am, or more appropriately, I am trying.

The result of a first time coti hone:

The blade felt exceptionally smooth, similar to a Jnat shave.

Unfortunately after three passes, WTG, ATX, XTG, I had quite a bit of stubble remaining and had to do two more passes with a blade honed on synthetics.

I'm not giving up. I learned something too. When I said earlier that the blade looked different in the scope than a synthetic or film hone, I meant it didn't look as sharp .... it didn't have that gleam. The edge was straight but simply not sharp enough. I'll pay more attention to what I see the next time.

When I said earlier that the blade looked different in the scope than a synthetic or film hone, I meant it didn't look as sharp .... it didn't have that gleam.

Yeah, you'll notice that a finished coticule edge has kind of a 'sandblasted' or matte look to it, versus a synth edge which has more of a mirror finish...

Yeah, you'll notice that a finished coticule edge has kind of a 'sandblasted' or matte look to it, versus a synth edge which has more of a mirror finish...

I'll remember that tomorrow when my obsessive nature forces me to rehone with the coti. It's 9:20pm, Monday, here in Taiwan, too late for me to try now.

I'll remember that tomorrow when my obsessive nature forces me to rehone with the coti. It's 9:20pm, Monday, here in Taiwan, too late for me to try now.

Excellent! Yeah that threw me off when I first started too, but you get used to it.. :)

Whatever possessed you to get a Coticule? What size did you get?

A dear B&B friend, a Jnat guy no less, hypnotized me and forced me to accept the loan of one of his cotis so I could try it. There's no doubt it creates a smooth edge but I'm finding it hard to accept that it can generate the kind of sharpness I am used to and like. My goal is smoothness, which I have been able to create by following up synthetics by finishing with a surgical black Arkie. Yes, I know it probably dulls the edge a bit, but the result is a smooth, sharp shave.

Send one of your dull razors up and I'll show you. :)

Top Bottom