What's new

African-American Razor Bump Sufferer

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Try skipping the pre-shave oil (I've never used it) and everything else and try using ONLY your AOS shaving cream with possible use of an aftershave. I certainly sympathize with your troubles and I'm just guessing; But it seems like you are using a lot of products on your face.

+1
The link below is included in the thread above, but it's worth posting twice. Just because Pottertons is the man!

If you're prepared for close ups of some pretty bad razor bump action, check Pottertons' journal for an amazing success story.
Even if the specific advice isn't right for you, it's totally inspiring... I was inspired and I don't even suffer from bumps.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-W-Photos-(Warning-not-for-the-faint-hearted)

Hello Folks,

A few quick things about me. I'm African-American, and have suffered from razor bumps, specifically in my lower jaw and neck, since I began shaving, approximately 20+ years ago. After college, I finally gave up, and switched to hair trimmers. The trimmers worked, in terms of the razor bumps, but left me with permanent stubble. After approximately ten years of hearing grumbles from co-workers regarding why I "got to violate the dress code," and friends about how I was either emulating Miami Vice, or "a rebel without a cause," I took to the Internet. To be fair, I actually prefer being clean shaven, and hated the look, myself. I ended up reading a lot about how DE safety razors would DEFINITELY work for my type of problems, and invested money on a wet shaving setup.

Specifically, I'm using a Merkur 34C with AOS shaving oil, AOS shaving cream with a Badger brush, Neutrogena Shave Balm, Witch Hazel, and Neutrogena Post Shave Lotion. As a byproduct of my previous foray into razor shaving, I cleanse and exfoliate my face, daily, and am taking care to focus on my neck now, due to the current issues. I've returned to using Black Opal Razor Bump Recovery, but hate having to use it, because the whole point was to avoid razor bumps, not recover from them. I've read the literature, I've watched the videos. My very first shave, with a Merkur blade that came with the razor, was a revelation. No nicks, no cuts, no bumps, and a smooth shave, especially compared to the Miami Vice look to which I'd become accustomed. Pretty much every shave after that has been a disaster. The razor bumps have returned, in full force, to my lower jaw and neck.

I've returned to the trimmers in order to heal fully, thinking that I simply had one bad shave, and was re-injuring it. I've purchased a blade sampler, and have gone from "mild" to "super sharp." The one thing that is consistent is that I keep on getting ugly razor bumps. Actually uglier than the ones I got when I first started shaving, with the multi-blade razors. Before you blame user error, I have done everything I can to keep my touch as light as possible. I hold the razor at the vey end, and I don't apply pressure. I've attempted to go straight north to south, due to pressure concerns, and I've followed the grain. For what it's worth, my neck hair tends to grow horizontally, and I initially thought I was applying too much pressure, trying to go horizontal. Neither method has worked. I've even attempted to go diagonally, as a happy medium. I'm honestly at my breaking point, and I'm hoping that someone here can give me some actual advice, other than "it doesn't happen to me, so you must be doing something obvious wrong," before I go back to the trimmers, and throw the $150+ setup I've purchased in the trash.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but, like I said, I'm about ready to give up.
Have you taken any advise and applied it? Hope your not quitting on us yet.

Top Bottom