What's new

Affordable **AD

As a recently self-diagnosed **AD sufferer, I was curious when it comes to soaps, aftershaves, and colgnes--and someone wants a collection, variety--what do you feel are some of the best buys out there as regards to bang for the buck.

MJB

I've been like a broken record on this point, but check Tulumba.com for Arko products. The shave stick is 99c, their creams are 2.49 and alum block is 2.99. I just received my first shipment Monday and it is all fantastic.

MJB said:
As a recently self-diagnosed **AD sufferer, I was curious when it comes to soaps, aftershaves, and colgnes--and someone wants a collection, variety--what do you feel are some of the best buys out there as regards to bang for the buck.

MJB

You can't beat Mama Bear's soap prices. Very good value (defined as quality product for low price).

BigDiscount.com has good prices on cologne.

For scents, I'd give Saint Charles Shave a try. Her Sandalwood, Blend 2-11, and B&B Bay Rum With A Twist are all outstanding. A steal at the stated prices. (Her soaps are a good value as well).

I think Tabac soap has to be mentioned as a good bang-for-the buck. It's a great price to start ($15), but add in the amount of soap you get (a lot!), and the scent (great!), and it's right on top of my list.

Anything from Proraso (although, I'm not such a huge fan of the soap).

I would reccomend QED Shave Soaps...they're inexpensive..great scents...shave extremely well...sticks are great for travel too.

letterk said:
For scents, I'd give Saint Charles Shave a try. Her Sandalwood, Blend 2-11, and B&B Bay Rum With A Twist are all outstanding. A steal at the stated prices. (Her soaps are a good value as well).

I think Tabac soap has to be mentioned as a good bang-for-the buck. It's a great price to start ($15), but add in the amount of soap you get (a lot!), and the scent (great!), and it's right on top of my list.

Anything from Proraso (although, I'm not such a huge fan of the soap).

Agreed.

My vote would be for Musgo Real products (cream and ASB, haven't tried the colognes) and QED products. Musgo is a good all around cream and ASB combination. The QED sticks are fantastic, the lather they produce cannot be beat. Both are great values.

ada8356 said:
You can't beat Mama Bear's soap prices. Very good value (defined as quality product for low price).

Some of Mama Bear soaps cost $9 (Rosewood) and if you add $6 for shipping - well, I would not call it a low price soap.
I just bought a T&H shaving soap refill for $11.50 including shipping and they also threw in lots of samples including Anthony Logistics soap, cologne, T&H St James cream and a few other items. Very nice.

In addition to the other products metioned above, I think the Proraso stuff offers great price/value - and can often be sourced locally.

Cream usually sells for $9 a 5oz tube (most products are 3.5oz)
Soap in a pot is $8 for 5oz
Pre/Post Shave goes for $10 - 11
A/S Balm about $15
A/S splash about $15.

Despite having more than 20 creams and soaps, and a bunch of A/S products, the Proraso continues to be in my rotation and is my benchmark product.

Feather aftershave balm! $19.99 for 250ml refillable pump. It is a very nice light ASB when you don't need a lot of moisturizing. It's available at classicshaving.com. Typically when I don't have a layering scent, I reach for the Feather.

Tabac cologne

Taylor shave cream

Proraso anything

Kiss My Face and Toms of Maine shave creams

Thayers witch hazel

DoubleE said:
Feather aftershave balm! $19.99 for 250ml refillable pump. It is a very nice light ASB when you don't need a lot of moisturizing. It's available at classicshaving.com. Typically when I don't have a layering scent, I reach for the Feather.

Hey! Another Feather guy!!! You can give some backup over here.

:biggrin:

Dennis

I can also vouch for KMF - very cheap and Thayers.

Also, if you are ever in Europe, the Nivea and Palmolive soaps are very highly rated and cost less than $5 per tube (they can be had in almost every chain drugstore).

Finally, I also think the Nivea and Neutrogena a/s products represent good value and are easily found at most chain drugstores.

Proraso
Kiss My Face
Surrey Glycerin Shave Soap (a suprisingly good shave if properly prepared)
Charles Tyrwhitt (if its still on sale)

finegelernt said:
Some of Mama Bear soaps cost $9 (Rosewood) and if you add $6 for shipping - well, I would not call it a low price soap.
I just bought a T&H shaving soap refill for $11.50 including shipping and they also threw in lots of samples including Anthony Logistics soap, cologne, T&H St James cream and a few other items. Very nice.

I guess if you are only getting one they may be expensive. I got five soaps for $33.46 including shipping which certainly isn't expensive.

Top Bottom