What's new

Aeropressers assemble!

Been using an Aeropress for several months now and I love it. I don't use it regularly, only when I want a "special" cup of coffee.

Used my aeropress tonight and had a wonderful cup of coffee. I bought a bag of Madcap coffee (Kiaria) this weekend. Used 2 scoops ground in my hario skerton set on 2 notches from the tightest setting. I used 6 ounces of water and brewed it for 1 minute then added 8 ounces of water.

I looked at all the metal filters out there. Almost pulled the trigger on one from Amazon, but then ran into this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kohilabs/kohi-labs-filter-for-the-aeropress-coffee-maker
The campaign ended successfully, but they haven't started shipping yet. I'll try to remember to log back in and do a quick write-up. I like the cleanness of the cup I get from paper filters with the Aeropress. I'm hoping the Kohi filter keeps nearly as much sediment out.
Got the Kohi metal filter a few weeks ago. Quick review:
Pros: reusable; super-fine mesh, allows minimal sediment through but still brews a cup with body
Con: clogs up a bit for the second cup, but I now give it a quick scrub with a dish brush after each brew and haven't had an issue.
i can't compare it to any other metal filters, but at this point I would buy another one if I lost it.

I am using the Kohi filter for the last two weeks with great results.It makes a clean cup with zero sediments and great taste, it is finer than able fine disk and s-filter . The only disadvantage (as mentioned before) is that requires some more detailed cleaning after use.

I got an Aeropress around Christmas this year and absolutely love it. Had been using the Nespresso pods which make wonderful espresso and lungoes but at 65 to $0.95 per, it was getting expensive so I wanted to take a break for a while. Got a Chemex and then saw the Aeropress and got it on a whim... $24 at Bed Bath w 20% coupon. I use the inverted method and then turn it over, press out about half of the coffee and pull the plunger back out and add some more water and then replace the plunger to reduce drip through..and let it steep for 45 seconds or so then complete the plunge. That produces two very nice sized mugs of coffee. So easy and the water temperature so far has been easily controlled by my Hamilton Beach digital kettle with thermometer... read on another Aeropress site that some are reusing the paper filters after a short rinse. I am about 7 brews into my current filter and it appears to work fine, no leaks or any grounds coming through so while I was about to get a metal filter, I have held back to see how the recycling of these filters works. Enjoy your ground...

$IMG_20160112_112025.jpg

Last edited:
Have had a press for awhile, have only used paper filters. Question for those with the metal... It would seem a lot harder to clean after pressing???

I have been using the "S" filter since purchasing my Aeropress a year and a half ago. Clean up is a breeze actually. The trick is once you've finished pressing your coffee into your cup go over to your sink and firmly press out anything that is left in the press, give it a good push (ie. compress the puck) then pull the plunger back about 1/4 inch. Now when you remove the cap and filter they just need a rinse, very little if any coffee grounds sticking to anything. Then you just plunge out the left over coffee 'puck' wherever you fancy. I just plop it into my knock box and it joins the rest of my espresso pucks in the compost.

And to the original poster, I use 2 full aeropress scoops of Blue Bottle Cafe Giant Steps, ground fine as table salt in my OE lower bearing modded Hario Skerton, poured into an inverted Aeropress, then filled 3/4 full with 204* water, a 15 second stir, then fill to the top with more 204* water, let sit for 2 minutes, press everything (although most say you should stop plunging when you hear the hiss, I plunge right through the hissing sound and all the way to the bottom) into a 16 ounce thermos, top it up with more hot water, a little cream and sugar. And voala!! Best cup a jo ever! At least for me. YMMV. Enjoy your addict.....er... no...obsession! Ya that's it! And beware of upgradeitis! It can set in rather quickly! :thumbup:

I've been using the Aeropress for about 5 years and in my experience, water temperatures above 180 give the coffee a burnt taste. For me, the best temperature is 175 - 180 but it is really important to preheat the Aeropress. I use 3 scoops of coffee and after letting the grounds bloom for 30 seconds, I fill it almost to the top, stir, give it another 30 seconds and press. Deeelish!

Haven't used my Aeropress for months. The rubber plunger needed replacing and I was too lazy to order one so I've been using my French press, until today. Got the new plunger end in yesterday and made coffee in the Aeropress this morning. Don't get me wrong, the coffee from the French press was excellent but the Aeropress just seems better.

I usually just brew coffee with a Keurig, but I have been wanting to branch out. I've read that the temperature and brew time of the Keurig doesn't allow for complete extraction of the coffee. I've decided I would like to ground my own beans and then use either a French press or AeroPress. Can anyone compare the two?

I usually just brew coffee with a Keurig, but I have been wanting to branch out. I've read that the temperature and brew time of the Keurig doesn't allow for complete extraction of the coffee. I've decided I would like to ground my own beans and then use either a French press or AeroPress. Can anyone compare the two?
They're similar, in that you use a plunger to separate the coffee from the grounds. The big differences in my experience are that the French press can make multiple cups at a time (depending on size) while the Aeropress can make only one cup (unless you brew strong and dilute); the French press will continue extracting after plunging because the coffee stays in contact with some of the grinds, which can lead to bitter coffee in subsequent cups; the Aeropress is easier to clean and more travel-friendly. Personally, unless you're brewing coffee for more than one or two people, or you drink a lot of coffee in one sitting, go with the Aeropress.

Taste-wise, the Aeropress uses a paper filter where the French Press uses a mesh. The paper filter will remove some oils from the cup that the French press won't, usually leading to a smoother cup.

Taste-wise, the Aeropress uses a paper filter where the French Press uses a mesh. The paper filter will remove some oils from the cup that the French press won't, usually leading to a smoother cup.
That's generally true, although there are many stainless steel mesh filters available for the Aeropress from aftermarket sellers. Those let the oils through as well.

Yeah, I tried a couple of those and went back to the paper filter. They cost nearly nothing and, as you mentioned, remove some of those bitter oils from my cup. I've had my Aeropress for nearly ten years and I prefer it over any other brewing method I've tried.

Top Bottom