What's new

Aeropress

It doesn't have to. The thing that I like about the Aeropress is how convenient it is to control so many variables of extraction, including but not limited to:
dwell time
dose
water temperature
pressure

If you think you need to use more coffee, then there is something wrong. My guess would be that the "something wrong" would be the instructions included with the Aeropress.

I think we both agree that you must use almost twice the weight of coffee for, say, an 8 ounce cup of Aeropress coffee versus an 8 ounce cup of drip-brewed coffee.

Exactly. For me, twice the weight is far from being slightly more coffee. I pay coffee beans by weight, not by volume. Each cup of coffee costs me almost 100% more with the Aeropress.

Anyway, I like the Aeropress, despite it requires slightly more coffee.

I'm not sure how people here have been using the aeropress, but my impression was that it's supposed to provide an alternative to an espresso machine, not a drip system.

So how does it stack up against an espresso machine?

Don't believe the sale pitch. The Aeropress doesn't make an expresso. You get a [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]very smooth cup, far better than with most other coffee makers, especially drip cones, but not as rich as with a true expresso machine.

Personally, I prefer the Aeropress. I like the my coffee "velvety" and mellow.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm not sure how people here have been using the aeropress, but my impression was that it's supposed to provide an alternative to an espresso machine, not a drip system.

So how does it stack up against an espresso machine?

They don't claim that what is produced is espresso. They do say that the end result is similar to an espresso.

I view the device as a pressurized drip system.

Let me clarify; I meant to say that if you find your "by the book" Aeropress coffee vastly superior to pour-over ("far better than... especially drip") then you're doing your POUR-OVER wrong.

If you still want tips on how to do a good pour-over, there are more than enough options over at BrewMethods.com - any one of them done correctly will produce a nice, robust, clean cup.

With the Aeropress I get more aromas and absolutely no bitterness. With a cone, the aromas have less nuances and there is always some bitterness.

Possibly a grind size and water temperature issue. I noticed no appreciable increase in aromas or reduction in bitterness from an Aeropress (unless I was operating closer to the "prescribed" instructions, in which case flavor and aroma went way down).

I got my Aeropress almost a year ago and I've used almost nothing else since. I'm a pretty heavy coffee drinker (about 10-15 cups/day) and it does use more coffee than any of the other systems I've used. That's the only real drawback I can find. But I've virtually given up drinking alcohol, so it more than evens out. Also, I'm not a big espresso fan, so I make "Americanos" with it.

After much experimentation, I've found that water temp. and steeping time has everything to do with reducing the bitterness. A ten second stir at 180 degrees with a slightly more coarse grind than you'd use for espresso is the sweet spot with most coffees I roast. I like my coffee dark and smoooooth, and usually tend toward the Indonesian beans. How much is the bitterness reduced? For the first time in 40 years, I have totally given up sugar in my coffee. I've never been able to do that with any other brew system, my own or not.

Some people prefer a little less smoothness. I do believe there is a bit of oil loss with the paper filters. I'm going to try the steel cuavo (sp?) filter soon. There are two mesh sizes for those and that might address that concern.

I'm totally an Aeropress Evangelist anymore. IMO, it's the best brew system ever for non-espresso coffee. And I've tried them all. Only vacuum comes close, but it's a pain in the arse.

Thread resurrection!

So I've settled on a Beehouse dripper cone at the office for ease of use and consistency, and finally brought the Aeropress home to experiment with different brewing techniques. I tried the so-called "inverted" method with only ONE scoop of coffee instead of the TWO scoops that are recommended by the instructions. I've only made a couple of cups, but like the results so far. It resolves two issues I had with the "by the book" method: (1) too much coffee needed; and (2) consistency.

I'd still be interested in hearing how the two resident coffee experts like to brew in an Aeropress. Jasonian? JPDyson?

I've been using my aeropress for the last three years.
Awesome piece of kit.
It's great for those americanos at o dark o clock.

I'm not Jasonian or JPDyson, but this is how I do it:

Invert Aeropress
Grind approx 16g of beans (same as I use for an espresso shot at home) to medium-fine grind (this is 1 1/2 scoops -ish, if you don't have a scale, I wouldn't worry about it too much, I find the aeropress pretty forgiving especially when you are making an Americano and can adjust your hot water added)
put in aeropress
add hot water and stir
put paper filter into screen and rinse (coffee steeps during this, about 20sec)
put on top of aeropress
turn over
press

I love my aeropress and gave my sister one for Christmas. I like strong, espresso like coffee that isn't too watered down so the brew that this produces is perfect (not that it makes espresso, mind you).

Top Bottom