What's new

Aeropress

I love mine, and use it every day. I 86'ed my french press for just the reason you stated. The Aeropress doesn't leave any sediment, and clean up is super easy. Bottom line, a guy who makes flying toys came up with a better press. It makes a fine cup of coffee.

I'll second this statement. I'm enjoying a cup of Berres Brothers Breakfast Blend this morning with my Aeropress.

I consider the Aeropress more of a drip coffee maker than a French press type of coffee maker. Either one works great although the results are different. I use still both depending on the results that I want.

I gave the Aeropress a shot and ended up tossing it. It made a sweet cup but seemed to mute all brightness similar to what I get from coldbrewing in a Toddy brewer.

I like a french press for dark roasts/indonesians but when I want a clean cup I go with a vacuum or Chemex brewer.

I gave the Aeropress a shot and ended up tossing it. It made a sweet cup but seemed to mute all brightness similar to what I get from coldbrewing in a Toddy brewer.

I like a french press for dark roasts/indonesians but when I want a clean cup I go with a vacuum or Chemex brewer.

That's what happens when you follow the directions.

Use 200F water, dose the coffee appropriate for your cup size (that is, 7g per 6oz of final intended volume.. I tend to do 14g at a time with mine).

Add as much hot water as the thing can hold. Then plunge. You won't have to add too much water to stretch it to the intended final volume afterwards.

It's the temperature suggestion that is the primary cause, and the tendency for under-extraction attributed to the ratios suggested. There's simply not enough pressure to get a full extraction at that ratio. The solution? Add more solvent(water) so more is dissolved.

It works for me. You may find that you like it as well.

I like to pre-wet the filter disc first.

Use 200F water, dose the coffee appropriate for your cup size (that is, 7g per 6oz of final intended volume.. I tend to do 14g at a time with mine).

What kind of grind do you use? Would an aropress match up with a microwave? I'm thinking about work.

Add as much hot water as the thing can hold. Then plunge. You won't have to add too much water to stretch it to the intended final volume afterwards.

It's the temperature suggestion that is the primary cause, and the tendency for under-extraction attributed to the ratios suggested. There's simply not enough pressure to get a full extraction at that ratio. The solution? Add more solvent(water) so more is dissolved.

It works for me. You may find that you like it as well.

I like to pre-wet the filter disc first.

+1 I settled on this method after some experimenting.
Makes a great cup!

What kind of grind do you use? Would an aropress match up with a microwave? I'm thinking about work.

Dwell time (how much time you wait before plunging) is dictated by grind particle size, so any size will do. I tend to grind somewhere in between "espresso" and "drip".. leaning closer to "espresso", but it's really a personal preference thing.

Just make sure you match the dwell time to it. (if it tastes bitter, you waited too long. If it tastes sour, you didn't wait long enough)

And, yes. You can microwave your water in the plunger, then pour it over the ground coffee in the dwell chamber. (filter side down)

The inverse method doesn't work without heating the the water in a separate vessel.

The aeropress will work with just about any grind, even pre ground supermarket coffee. Heating the water in a microwave works just fine. Experiment and you'll come up with what works best for you.

Dwell time (how much time you wait before plunging) is dictated by grind particle size, so any size will do. I tend to grind somewhere in between "espresso" and "drip".. leaning closer to "espresso", but it's really a personal preference thing.

Just make sure you match the dwell time to it. (if it tastes bitter, you waited too long. If it tastes sour, you didn't wait long enough)

What grind/dwell time has yielded the best results for you.
My presses are never bitter or harsh, but I would like a little bolder, richer brew.

Finer grind = more exposed surface area = more flavor extracted into solution.

I like an espresso grind, wait thirty seconds, then press (which takes another 30 seconds), for a total of 1 minute dwell time.

Also make sure you are using enough coffee. 2tbsp per 6oz of final desired volume.

(so, if you want a 12oz. cup, you should use 4 tbsp of coffee, regardless of how much water you brew with.. and I would use as much water as the press can hold to get as close to a full extraction as possible)

Naturally, adjust the ratio to suit your taste. That's just a starting point.

As I've said before. Use 200F water. Throw away your instruction booklet from the Aeropress. (or at least store it away and ignore it)

I think aero suggests the "cold" water for liability reasons. 190-200 degree water works much better, but don't spill it...

I think aero suggests the "cold" water for liability reasons. 190-200 degree water works much better, but don't spill it...

I doubt it is for liability reasons. They state quite plainly that experimentation and taste tests provided the data on which they base the statement that the lower temperature brew tastes better. You may disagree with those taste tests, of course.

Not sure where I first heard of the aero (probably a local mention since I'm at Stanford) but I just got one last week and love it.

We are supplied with Peet's Major Dickason bean at work and we have one of those commercial drip brewers. Either someone makes a crappy pot or it sits there and tastes vile. I got sick of it and the Aero seemed like a good solution. At home I use a French Press but I didn't feel like dealing with the cleanup at work.

I'm totally pleased with it. The coffee tastes great and it is simple to use and clean up...plus I already had my Bodum water kettle at work for tea anyway.

The Aeropress is designed to use a really fine grind of coffee. I've found that's what works best for me, along with water that has just cooled from a full boil.

i know this is a little late in the game but i do love my aero press and have found that if you want a fuller bodied cup you can insert the plunger just a tad to seal it off immediately after stirring and it will create a vacuum and allow the grounds to steep for as long as you wish without draining through the filter. enjoy.
Ian

I just enjoyed my first cup of Aeropress coffee after I got home from work today. Loved it! I used the same beans I used in my French Press this morning so I could taste the difference. Smoother, and more refined flavor. These will both be in regular rotation.

One question: how do you Aeropress fans make enough for a small thermos (e.g. Nissan)? I like the single cup, but I noticed that the instructions mention making enough for a carafe. If I can make enough for a single cup + a thermos in the morning, I can regularly rotate between FP and AP.

I have had my Aeropress for about 3 years now. I am noticing that the coffee is beginning to have a plastic taste.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It does get a lot of use, so maybe the plastic is finally starting to be affected by the hot water.

I really like mine as well. Though, it doesn't really make true espresso like the advertisements claim. But a very neat, clean, efficient and effective product that produces a nice cup of coffee nonetheless.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just received one yesterday as a gift. The first three uses each produced excellent coffee.

As an over the road truck driver the Aeropress is the perfect solution for me. Needs no electricity and clean up is fast and easy. I heat the water in the microwave oven, no additional hook ups needed and another very important thing is that it takes up very little space.

Just received one yesterday as a gift. The first three uses each produced excellent coffee.

As an over the road truck driver the Aeropress is the perfect solution for me. Needs no electricity and clean up is fast and easy. I heat the water in the microwave oven, no additional hook ups needed and another very important thing is that it takes up very little space.

Pair it with a ceramic hand mill (Hario, Kyocera), and you're really in business. That's my travel set up.

Top Bottom