What's new

AeroPress Revisited

I don't want to rehash all of the AeroPress thread from a month or so ago, but I just want to say that I finally succumbed and bought one of these contraptions, and I have to say that all of the praise in the prior thread was absolutely warranted. I couldn't see how a press that only steeped the coffee for 20 seconds could produce coffee with any kind of good flavor, but it can and does. I was a huge fan of french presses - I've used them for 10+ years and didn't think there was anything better. But, this is pretty darn close. Plus, the clean-up is SO much better than my french press and there's no annoying sludge in the bottom of the cup.

I thought any type of paper filter would take away some flavor, but this one doesn't. As others have said, the grind of the coffee you use is very important and the water temp is also. I have a Gaggia espresso maker which I love, but if I want a quick latte-type of drink, the AeroPress does these pretty darned well also, in addition to Americano style coffee.

I pooh-poohed the AeroPress when I read through the prior thread, but something in my head wouldn't let me forget it since I'm kind of a gadget junkie. When I finally got one, I was glad I did. Thanks to everyone who gave their experiences with it.

YMMV.

Nice post Larry!!

I have a Gaggia MDF / Classic set-up, and a Bodum French Press and go through ~ 2 lbs of beans a week. I'd read quite a bit about the AeroPres and was considering getting one.

The Bride doesn't care what I spend in cigars, pipes or now shaving, but I think if I bring one more coffee appliance in the kitchen, she'll have me committed.:tongue: :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Larry, love the Sig Tag. Tull is great!!!

Thanks Jim. I have the Classic and it's one good machine IMHO. But, the speed of the AeroPress process and easy clean-up helps me in my morning rush to work.

Wow! Two lbs of beans a week is some serious coffee drinking. If I drank that much, I would kill some of the idiots here at work with all that caffeine coursing through my system. It's close enough even with two cups a day.

I'm listening to "Thick.." right now on my iPod. Can't beat those guys.

Take care.

I don't want to rehash all of the AeroPress thread from a month or so ago, but I just want to say that I finally succumbed and bought one of these contraptions, and I have to say that all of the praise in the prior thread was absolutely warranted. I couldn't see how a press that only steeped the coffee for 20 seconds could produce coffee with any kind of good flavor, but it can and does. I was a huge fan of french presses - I've used them for 10+ years and didn't think there was anything better. But, this is pretty darn close. Plus, the clean-up is SO much better than my french press and there's no annoying sludge in the bottom of the cup.

I thought any type of paper filter would take away some flavor, but this one doesn't. As others have said, the grind of the coffee you use is very important and the water temp is also. I have a Gaggia espresso maker which I love, but if I want a quick latte-type of drink, the AeroPress does these pretty darned well also, in addition to Americano style coffee.

I pooh-poohed the AeroPress when I read through the prior thread, but something in my head wouldn't let me forget it since I'm kind of a gadget junkie. When I finally got one, I was glad I did. Thanks to everyone who gave their experiences with it.

YMMV.

Thanks Larry, perfect timing too. I just ordered one right now. I can't wait to try it..:biggrin:

Top Bottom