What's new

aeropress or french press?

thanks for all the help B&B! i ordered a hand burr grinder, the aeropress and will pick up a french press locally! i started a new thread about suggestions on coffee, any help would be great!!

When I use the Aeropress I use the full capacity of it. The resulting "quad shot" gets water added to make two cups of Americano style coffee. Both of my French presses are single mug (not cup) capacity. And it only takes 4 minutes to brew. Less troublesome and faster than a drip cone.

There's a lot of info out there about "bypass brewing" w/the Aeropress. That is, you brew a concentrate and dilute it to strength. It tastes different from brewing full volume traditionally, so keep that in mind. Not better or worse, just a different result.

I have both and once I started using an aeropress I stopped using the frenchpress. With the aeropress there is no sludge from grinds that get passed the screen so there is no need to be limited to course ground coffee. However, you using a small paper filter. As long as you rinse the filter before use it doesn't flavor the coffee. They do make metal screens for the aeropress, but I haven't tried one yet.

OH... if you are using an aeropress - try the inverted method! It solves problem of water draining before the brew is done.

OH... if you are using an aeropress - try the inverted method! It solves problem of water draining before the brew is done.

To my mind that is the same method as a French Press. The only difference is you run the end results through a filter.

Where's a good place to get an aeropress?

Sweetmarias and Amazon are two places. Check out sweetmarias they have lots of great coffee merchandise in addition to all the green coffee they offer.

I have an Aeropress, French press, Hario V60 ceramic, Bonmac filtercone but I use my clever coffee dripper 99% of the time. It's like French press w/o the grit. But that just my preference, they all make fine coffee. Would love to try vacuum brewing someday!

To my mind that is the same method as a French Press. The only difference is you run the end results through a filter.

I agree, but there is something to be said about the clean up of the Aeropress compared to the French Press. :smile:

Sweetmarias and Amazon are two places. Check out sweetmarias they have lots of great coffee merchandise in addition to all the green coffee they offer.

I have an Aeropress, French press, Hario V60 ceramic, Bonmac filtercone but I use my clever coffee dripper 99% of the time. It's like French press w/o the grit. But that just my preference, they all make fine coffee. Would love to try vacuum brewing someday!

I do like giving Sweet Marias my business, they are good people to deal with and they put a lot of heart into their business. I feel we should support those kinds of places over and above the Amazons.

-jim

There's a cheaper way to brew a cup. It uses nothing but a cup, grounds, and hot water. :) Grind your coffee a bit finer than you would for a cone filter (this might take a few tries to hit the right grind). Put two heaping spoons in your cup, pour 195-200 degree water over, stir, and let it sit. The grounds should settle in 3-4 minutes, at which time you are free to enjoy!

It's just like a French Press...without the press! :D

There's a cheaper way to brew a cup. It uses nothing but a cup, grounds, and hot water. :) Grind your coffee a bit finer than you would for a cone filter (this might take a few tries to hit the right grind). Put two heaping spoons in your cup, pour 195-200 degree water over, stir, and let it sit. The grounds should settle in 3-4 minutes, at which time you are free to enjoy!

It's just like a French Press...without the press! :D

Hello good sir!

I use a Bodum 12 cup French press when I want a standard cup of coffee at home and for travel. It works great, as long as you remember to grind course, as a fine grind will make it through the filter to your cup. The fun part begins when sampling various beans/roasts. The closer to roast date, the better. Lots of great micro roasters out there.

Top Bottom