What's new

aeropress or french press?

what would you recommend to someone about to get into real coffee? going to get a hand grinder i saw recommended on here, but dont know about what to make the coffee in? 1-2 cups at a time max.

I've never used and aeropress but french press is my preferred method. From what I read about the aeropress it looks like more of an expresso than a coffee. Might be best to get both :)

Keep in mind a 3 cup french press makes about 1 mug of coffee. I can't comment as I haven't used an aeropress as yet. Love french press coffee though!

I love using a Frenchpress for coffee and tea but haven't used an aeropress yet, I have a lot of friends who bought them and swear by them over the frenchpress. One day I'll bite the bullet and get an aeropress to see what its all about

got a recommendation for a french press, capable of two cups of coffee? not looking to break the bank...still interesed in the aeropress, maybe get both?

got a recommendation for a french press, capable of two cups of coffee? not looking to break the bank...still interesed in the aeropress, maybe get both?

French Presses make good coffee (caveat: garbage in, garbage out). So does the Aeropress, and it's unbreakable, smaller, and can be used to make as much or as little as you need pretty quickly. Cleans up pretty quick too. They're comparable in cost - so that's really not a big factor. If you can swing both, get both.

Other than that, it really depends on your tinkering habits and where you intend to use it.

I use a Chemex at home, and Aeropress at the office. Two others in my office have bought the Aeropress after trying mine. Yes there's a lot of 'hype' in the literature, and it's not 'true' espresso (more of a concentrated regular brew), but the resulting cup is still quite good.

I have been drinking coffee for decades and have prepared it in almost every conceivable fashion. My current favorite method is vacuum brewer. These aren't expense, quite easy to use, and produce a beautiful cup

When comparing Aeropress vs French Press, the brewing process is similar. The biggest difference is having a paper filter vs none (assuming a stock Aeropress), which has a significant impact on the taste, but only you can judge which is better. The Aeropress can brew multiple cups at a time, but it excels at 1 cup. In comparison, brewing either 1 or 2 cups with a Press Pot takes the same amount of work. Which is better from ease of use standpoint depends on whether you typically brew 1 or 2 cups at the same time, and how many cups per day.

The Aeropress is a mostly clean cup,the french press is more like Mississippi river silt and the vac pot makes a very clean pot or cup.

I use both. It depends on the results that I want. Lately, I've been using the French press the most.

I haven't taken my French Press out in ages, just be using the Clever Coffee Dripper day after day.

The Aeropress seems more oriented to a single cup and French Press to multiple cups (or at least topping off). I would say the French Press is more versatile as it can make more then 1 cup at a time and it can make 1 cup.

But honestly, if you are just getting into it, a Melitta pour over is the most cost effective and does a fine job.

-jim

thanks for all the suggestion guys! i am going to just get both it looks like since they are both pretty cheap, along with a hand mill grinder.

Both is always the way to go!
I was in starbucks yesterday with some coworkers and while they were ordering I was looking around, they had a good sized french press on sale for $20.
THAT'S LIKE 2 CUPS OF COFFEE AND A HALF A GALLON OF GAS!

I can't comment on the aeropress (yet), but was given a French press for Christmas last year. I mostly use it on weekends for that "special brew" when I have more time. And then some of the hot water from the kettle goes into my scuttle...

I have been a coffee drinker for about 30 years, and I prefer the French press over any other method.

Both is always the way to go!
I was in starbucks yesterday with some coworkers and while they were ordering I was looking around, they had a good sized french press on sale for $20.
THAT'S LIKE 2 CUPS OF COFFEE AND A HALF A GALLON OF GAS!

That is the press that I own. It's a Bodum, specially made for Starbucks. The glass and actual 'press' portion is the same as other Bodum and the rest of it is made from recycled plastic. It's not the flashiest press you'll ever see, but it gets the job done and at a very reasonable price.

Are you making more than one cup for yourself or multi cups for multi people?

If it's simply for yourself then I may rec the aeropress b/c , unless you transfer the FP brew to a thermos, the second cup wont stay hot.

Like everyone else has said so far, if you're looking to serve more than one, expect to use the Aeropress multiple times, or you can get a larger french press for more quantity, but also more grit in the cup. I use my Aeropress at work, usually twice a day to make 2 nice, smaller, cups of coffee for myself and it works awesome for this. They come out clean, and for me, the paper filters are convenient for using here. Just pre soak them first is all.

I haven't actually owned a french press, but for brewing for a few people, I prefer something like a Chemex, or do a couple larger pourovers or something.

Top Bottom