What's new

Aeropress issues - bitter coffee

i have had an Aeropress for a few days now and just cant seem to get a good cup of coffee out of it. i have tried a number of variables with little success and still get a cup that is bitter to me. below are the configurations that i have tried (to the best of my knowledge). please offer suggestions. also, for the attempts below i used different types of beans as well, medium and dark roasts. i had these coffees a few days before the aeropress, and was making great coffee (to me). my method was to use a full scoop, ground between expresso/drip. i would bring water to a boil, let it cool, then pour the water over the grounds in a measuring cup. after a 90 second steep, i would pour thru a filter into a cup. magic.

now with a "better" system i cant get good results. please help!

Inverted Method:
1) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 20 sec immersion
2) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 60 sec immersion
3) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 90 sec immersion
4) near expresso grind, 1.5 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 60 sec immersion
5) slightly larger grind than previous attempts, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water
- 30 sec immersion
6) slightly larger grind than previous attempts, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water
- 60 sec immersion

Upright method:
1) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 20 sec immersion
2) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 60 sec immersion
3) near expresso grind, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water - 90 sec immersion
4) slightly larger grind than previous attempts, 1.5 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water
- 30 sec immersion
5) slightly larger grind than previous attempts, 1 full scoop of beans, 200 degree water
- 60 sec immersion

Bitterness may be caused by over-extraction - try a coarser grind or shorter brew time. Additionally, you hotter brew temps can extract more bitter flavors. Try letting the water cool more.

Sorry, I meant to provide a more in-depth response earlier, but the site was triggering security alerts, and then I got really busy.

Temperature is fine, I think. If anything, I bet it's grind size. Bitterness = over-extraction, so try coarser grind. Also check out brewmethods.com

thanks for suggestions guys, for some reason i thought i read to use a very fine grind and a short dose. i will upsize the grind and time tonight and report back. sometimes when you are in the middle of something you tend to not think of the obvious. thats why its nice to have other feedback. thanks again

thanks for suggestions guys, for some reason i thought i read to use a very fine grind and a short dose. i will upsize the grind and time tonight and report back. sometimes when you are in the middle of something you tend to not think of the obvious. thats why its nice to have other feedback. thanks again

Bingo, you're probably too close to the problem. The AeroPress is better the less you use it as directed.

I noticed something else. Your actual brew temp that resulted in "magic" was likely much lower than 200F. I think you should stick with the grind size, stick with a :30-1:00 dwell time, and use the standard 60g/L dose ratio. Agitate the saturated grounds as little as possible.

If that's too much for you, grind coarser, and dwell for 3:00. Same dose.

Once you figure out what works, start to change variables (adjusting each one to match the other) to find different parameters that you might enjoy.

Rinse, repeat. (I also second Josh's suggestion that the Aeropress is better the less you use it as directed.. I've often listed my first instruction as throwing away the instruction manual when teaching others)

got my first good brews out of the AP for a couple of days of days now.

7oz of 205 degree water. 15g of fresh ground coffee on a fine grind. 45 second steep time, followed by 25 second plunge. dilluted with 3 oz of hot water. great cup of coffee, wtih zero bitterness. thanks for all the ideas and advice.

Talk about over-extraction! Your temps are screaming hot -- the instructions say 175!! (I mean, sure, I threw them away, too, but going <25+ over strikes me as excessive.) Crank it down and try it again? While I've been underwhelmed with my Aeropress, it has never been because it gives me bitter coffee.

Talk about over-extraction! Your temps are screaming hot -- the instructions say 175!! (I mean, sure, I threw them away, too, but going <25+ over strikes me as excessive.) Crank it down and try it again? While I've been underwhelmed with my Aeropress, it has never been because it gives me bitter coffee.
205F is within the normal range of standard brew parameters. 175F is well below said parameters. While I am a fan of the Aeropress, I would never consider Alan Adler to be an expert on coffee.

if i found somethign that works, why would i change it? tried lower temps before on it, didnt turn out good at all.

I've used the Aeropress daily for years, and find that a very fine grind/175-185 degree water/around 30 second dwell, and quick plunge works well for me. To reduce bitterness, I plunge almost to the bottom, and transfer the Aeropress to another cup before the foam comes through. The foam is particularly bitter (try it in a separate cup) and does not seem to be analogous to crema in espresso. What kind of grinder are you using? Any grinder that produces dust will result in over-extraction and bitterness. Regarding lower brew temperatures, I believe that this is what makes vacpot coffee so smooth - the temperature in the upper brew vessel is around 170-190 degrees, depending on technique.

I've used the Aeropress daily for years, and find that a very fine grind/175-185 degree water/around 30 second dwell, and quick plunge works well for me. To reduce bitterness, I plunge almost to the bottom, and transfer the Aeropress to another cup before the foam comes through. The foam is particularly bitter (try it in a separate cup) and does not seem to be analogous to crema in espresso. What kind of grinder are you using? Any grinder that produces dust will result in over-extraction and bitterness. Regarding lower brew temperatures, I believe that this is what makes vacpot coffee so smooth - the temperature in the upper brew vessel is around 170-190 degrees, depending on technique.

been using a hand burr grinder, but will have a new baratza encore this week! i have been suspicious of that last bit of foam as well, will try and avoid that. still tinkering with the recipe!

To reduce bitterness, I plunge almost to the bottom, and transfer the Aeropress to another cup before the foam comes through. The foam is particularly bitter (try it in a separate cup) and does not seem to be analogous to crema in espresso. .

tried this morning and i woudl agree, that foam is not too tasty! thanks for the help.

Top Bottom