What's new

Advise with wood shave bowl, it stinks!

Gents, I bought a “Parker Genuine Mango Wood Shave Soap Bowl — Black Lacquer” from ebay... $18 dollars that in retrospect I could have spent elsewhere.. anyhoo... the thing reeks of paint/lacquer! I can’t imagine putting soap in the thing. How do I make the smell go away besides letting it air out over weeks/months? I can’t imagine putting a puck of soap in that thing anytime soon.

Gents, I bought a “Parker Genuine Mango Wood Shave Soap Bowl — Black Lacquer” from ebay... $18 dollars that in retrospect I could have spent elsewhere.. anyhoo... the thing reeks of paint/lacquer! I can’t imagine putting soap in the thing. How do I make the smell go away besides letting it air out over weeks/months? I can’t imagine putting a puck of soap in that thing anytime soon.

have you thought about asking for a return? ebay is pretty buyer-friendly when it comes to problems.

I'm assuming you liked the laquered look rather than the plain mango wood?

If you don't want to strip it, you can do as previously suggested, along with a wash or two in Simple Green. It will strip excess oils from the finish.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I got a wood shave bowl off of ebay a few years back who's heavy lacquer smelled the exact same way. That smell would have never went away. I didn't spend much on the bowl and didn't want to go thru the trouble of returning it. So I took a dremel and sanded off all of the lacquer.

Then wiped the bowl down with a wet wash cloth to clean & dry. When it was dry, I warmed the wooden bowl up just slightly in a 150 degree oven. When it was warm, I pulled it out and used a small paint brush to apply some organic, cold pressed flax seed oil. flax seed oil, is a non toxic, food grade oil, but when it dries, it polymerizes and dries to a hard finish.

You don't gunk it on or put on thick layers. after the wooden bowl was warm, I painted on a very thin layer of flax seed oil and then let the bowl dry on it's own at room temps for 24 hours. The next day, stuck the bowl back into a 150 oven for 10 minutes or so to warm, anad again, took it out and painted a second layer of flax seed, then letting it air dry again for 24 hours. probably did repeated this a couple more times for 4 layers.

That was probably 6 or 7 years ago and I still use this bowl today and the finish still looks great and is odor free. I also use this same organic cold pressed flax seed oil on my kitchen spatula's and other utensils with wooden handles and I use it to season my cast iron skillets, which gives them a very slick and shiny, non stick surface.

I have also used it on a vintage wooden handled boar shave brush which made the handle not only shiny and waterproof, but also beautiful. :)

Top Bottom