What's new

Advise on natural finishing stones

I’ve recently turned a corner with my straight razor shaving and am starting to get superior results to DE. I’d like to continue with straight razors and add a natural finishing stone to my collection. With so many types I’m looking for some advise on the best and finest grit natural finishing stones.

I already have a full suite of lapping films and diamond pasted balsa strops. My edges are very sharp and I don’t really need a natural stone for sharpness. For some reason I am still interested to try one just for refreshing the edge periodically. I have never been a fan of synthetic anything so the idea of a natural stone appeals to me on that level. For any major work or bevel setting the full lapping film progression is on hand if required.

So what gives the best final edge prior to moving to balsa?

Zulu grey, Coticule, Jnat, Arkansas Black, Japanese? Is it possible to list these in order of fineness or is there simply too much natural variation? Are there any good suppliers out there for these?

Thanks in advance.

right now I like my ultra fine blk arkansas. I plan in the future to explore Slate and Jnat finished edges.

camo

Top Bottom