What's new

Advise on french point straight razor.

Dear BB'ers,

I'm a couple of months in with the shavette and really like were this whole experience is going. Though there are many great looking straight around my attention was always drawn to the french nose styled ones and the kamisori's. So in time I will be looking for a nice french nose straight (I'll pass on the kamisori) but the only ones I've managed to find so far are the Heribert Wacker Chevalier, Best tradition and the Thiers Issard Dominator. Does anyone know other brands who manufacture this style?

Your comments will be most welcome!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are referring to new production only I think you don't have too many choices. There are a few people who can custom grind a Gold Dollar razor into what ever point you would like, and it will be a lot cheaper than your choices so far, although Wackers and TIs are very nice.

Welcome to B&B by the way!

Thanks I get really enthousiastic of all the knowledge and experience present at this forum! I will consider the custom grinding and the vintage straights. Any advise on a good place for finding them? I live in the Netherlands and I've never seen any in a antique shop around here though. And Kent? Seeing the kamisori in your thread really got me reconsidering my choice!

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like the looks of some of the revisors, and the prices are pretty decent. I have heard a lot of bad things about their customer service, though. Being as how you are in Europe, maybe they will treat you better, but definitely only order one razor from them and see how it goes.

+1 on a custom Gold Dollar. That actually sounds like a good idea. Of course, you could always get a TI and grind any point you like on it. Just remember it only takes SECONDS to overheat the thin part of the blade and ruin the temper! Practice on an old junker. When you see the dreaded blue stain appear, you know your razor is toast.

I have heard a lot of bad things about their customer service, though. Being as how you are in Europe, maybe they will treat you better, but definitely only order one razor from them and see how it goes.

I'm interested in hearing more about all of the bad reports about Revisior.
Can you elaborate please?
I've often considered buying from them - if there's an issue or whatever I'd like to know about it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm interested in hearing more about all of the bad reports about Revisior.
Can you elaborate please?
I've often considered buying from them - if there's an issue or whatever I'd like to know about it.

I, too, have considered buying from them. I have often admired the variety of razors on their site.

As for the bad reports, do a forum search with "revisor" as a keyword. There was a thread last year, I believe. There were also, of course, good reviews as well.

You'll have to write them an email indicating the razor you want and they'll send you an invoice with the payment details. Then you'll have to pay using their bank account details. You cannot directly pay with credit card or PayPal. Then they'll send you the razor. This is not bad customer service. It's just not very modern. The razors will not really be shave ready though.

I've had good experience with Revisor (I ordered from France though), pretty much as Thomas Martin states. The razor did not come "shave ready," by any means, although it was in excellent shape overall and fairly priced.

Back to the French point, I prefer square points--or what the French style [FONT=&amp]"le point américain[/FONT]." The reason is that square points are great for sideburns--the toe of the razor aligns with the end of the edge and the spine all at once. What you see is what you get. In using the one French point I have, I always have to remember that the edge exceeds the toe from the spine (even the ubiquitous round-point edge coincides or ends with spine). Otherwise, I'm apt to cut away more of my sideburns than I want to--which has happened more than once! Of course, if one were to use a French point all the time, I'm sure one would get used to it. And perhaps the tip is great for maneuvering under the nose.

Last edited:
I used to hunt the Internet looking for razor styles that appealed to me: French points, Spanish points, the ever elusive thumbnotch.....

Now I just make whatever style suits my fancy, and it doesn't cost $300.

You'll have to write them an email indicating the razor you want and they'll send you an invoice with the payment details. Then you'll have to pay using their bank account details. You cannot directly pay with credit card or PayPal. Then they'll send you the razor. This is not bad customer service. It's just not very modern. The razors will not really be shave ready though.

That's not quite right, revisor do accept PayPal, but they charge a little extra for it (probably to make up for the seller fees)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I used to hunt the Internet looking for razor styles that appealed to me: French points, Spanish points, the ever elusive thumbnotch.....

Now I just make whatever style suits my fancy, and it doesn't cost $300.

What he said!

I find that now that I have created all sorts and styles of razors, mostly out of "crude Chinese razor-shaped objects", I am no longer so much in love with barber notches, jimps top and bottom, etc. Now, my designs are very spartan and all about the edge, the bevel, the sharpenability and the useful lifespan. Here is one that is typical of what I am doing these days. I am about halfway through the hand sanding on this one.

$new.jpg

The main thing is that the bevel is now about 16-1/4 degrees, from the original 18+ degrees, and there is absolutely no shoulder that can possibly ride up on the hone, and it will take a LOT of wear before there ever is any step or shoulder. The nose is close to original, though if I wanted a particular point, it would be simple to do with the dremel. Ditto thumb notch, jimps, notched or worked spine, whatever. The first ones I ever did, had a very pronounced barber notch.

Cost for the razor... about $4, including shipping from China. Maybe a total of $10 worth of sandpaper and dremel sanding drums and diamond paste. And a couple bucks worth of either walnut or aluminum, haven't decided which. And maybe 100 hours of work, which I don't mind too much.

Top Bottom