What's new

Advice / Suggestions For Next ATT Shave

I have the R2 and M2. I shaved with the H2 before I sent it on to my purchase partner. It was far too aggressive for everyday use, at least for me. I feel I could have tamed it, but it would have been a commitment. Similar to the R41, but smoother.

So, which one to choose now? I realize it's not difficult; pick one or the other. I guess I just want to make sure I have a good experience with the ATT next time. My favorite razor of all time is the English NEW Goodwill Empire Set. It shaves like there isn't a blade in it and gives me a DFS to BBS every time I use it, depending on how hard I push it. It has not irritated me once, to date. My next favorite razor is the English raised flat bottom NEW, followed by the Weber PH and then a slew of NEW'S, both English and American.

Why buy the ATT set then, if I have found my own shave Nirvana? It's supposed to be the best and I have to make sure there isn't something better. I also enjoy trying different things and I love well made razors. I can always sell what I have and come out alright, if I don't like it.

So, which one should I use to take out 3 days worth of growth? I've been sick since I returned home, my last shave was Monday night with the H2.

The H2 seems a little heavy handed compared to the NEW Goodwill that you've been using. I'm currently hooked on the M2, but I do prefer milder razors. The R2 seems more appropriate from what you've previously described. You could always do a first pass with the H2 or R2, and second and third passes with the M2.

Jeff I think you should go with the M2, with a Feather blade. I personally like the Feather blades in the ATT razors. You will have no problem taking off a 3 day growth with the M2. Get a real good face prep and enjoy your shave. Let us know how it works out for you and keep us posted.

I'm really leaning towards the M2. I think ultimately the R2 will be my huckleberry, but that is just supposition at this point. I like a smooth, effortless shave where you don't even feel the blade, yet you end up DFS or BBS.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Jeff I think you should go with the M2, with a Feather blade. I personally like the Feather blades in the ATT razors. You will have no problem taking off a 3 day growth with the M2. Get a real good face prep and enjoy your shave. Let us know how it works out for you and keep us posted.
The M2 with a Feather blade has been working incredibly well for me for the past week since I received the M2 head. I'm a fan of milder razors with a sharp blade for my beard type.

I think I have a couple of feather blades, if I can find them. Trouble is, I've only shaved with one once, and it was a disaster. It was almost a week before I could shave again. So, I haven't used one since. If I don't use a feather, I will use either a Polisilver SI or a GSB. The SI is said to be almost as sharp as a Feather, but smoother.

I think M2 is tomorrows ticket.

Jeff,

Let us know what you think of the M2. I'm living vicariously through your observation. I'm contemplating ordering the M2 to compare to my R2.

I shaved with the M2 this morning. I used a GSB and Cremo Crème since I was in a bit of a hurry, and I'm dog sick. I was impressed with the first two passes. I really couldn't feel the blade at all. It wasn't until my 3rd pass that I started to feel the blade a bit, but just in my problem area's...jawline and under chin.

The M2 wasn't as efficient as I had hoped, but it is still fairly efficient. I had 3.5 days worth of growth to take off. If, after my 3rd pass, I have minimal cleanup and no irritation, I know I have a good shave going. I think anyone coming from an EJ or Muhle or Super Speed or any other relatively mild razor will have a nice transition with the M2. It will feel familiar enough while being more efficient, I think. Really nice feel overall. The weight of the razor is evident, so you have to be cautious of pressure.

When I finished my 3rd pass, I had more left to clean up than with my English Goodwill, but it wasn't bad. I did get a tad irritated during cleanup, and again just along my jawline and under my chin. I stopped before it got too bad and settled for DFS. I had some mild tenderness through part of the day, but again, not bad. My ASB gave me more feedback than with my Goodwill, but it was not uncomfortable.

My English Goodwill is the gold standard for my face, and so far the ATT hasn't risen to that level, but I can tell it has the possibility. Right from the first stroke, the Goodwill shaved like a dream, but to be fair I had been shaving with nothing but NEW's for quite a while. The ATT is not a NEW. I need take the time to learn this razor and understand how it works.

I have feeling that the R2 may be the ticket ultimately. The H2 was far too aggressive for everyday use. I am going to shave a few more times with the M2 to see of I can get it down. It has quite a bit of potential. Then I'll take the R2 for a spin.

The more I shave, the less I like mild razors. I can't seem to stop myself from going for BBS with too many passes. I actually think I get less irritation from medium-aggressive razors (like the Tradere OC or the UK NEW) because I stop shaving before I hurt myself.
So, my vote, FWIW, is for you to load up the R-2.
Alternatively, if you are determined to stick with the M-2 for another shave or two, slow down, use a good brush, focus on good technique, and avoid the extra passes. That is the only way you will really get a good feel for the razor.

I say this stuff as if I know what I'm talking about, which I don't. So, let me back up and try again.
I enjoy reading your observations, so I hope you have the opportunity to take it slow this weekend, which should give all of us who read this thread a better idea of how the M-2 handles.

Doc, I have the exact same problem. I can't just stop at DFS, or CCS. I am COMPELLED to keep going, to try and achieve BBS. I will go until I am irritated and even bleeding a bit. When I found the English NEW's, through you and Teppanyaki, I found my answer. The raised flat bottom was the best by far, until I found the English Goodwill. From the first shave it was perfect. Perfect. No irritation, efficient, smooth as silk with every blade so far.

So, Jeff, why didn't you just stop with the English NEW? If it was really perfect, why sell so many of your high end shaving items to fund the ATT purchase? Why do you keep chasing more and more English razors? Why? Why am I compelled to push past DFS to the point of irritation and blood, chasing BBS? I'm compelled by some unknown force. All I need is more money.

I will have to think about my next step. Part of me wants to rush in and load up the R2. A big part. A small voice is telling me to shave with the M2, learn it's secrets and the R2 shave will be that much better. I usually listen to the loudmouth part.

You need to learn to turn up the volume of the "small voice," the voice of reason and logic, and turn down the volume of the "loudmouth voice," the impulsive, emotional voice.

PHP:
You need to learn to turn up the volume of the "small voice," the voice of reason and logic, and turn down the volume of the "loudmouth voice," the impulsive, emotional voice.

I've been looking for the volume knob for 47 years now. Maybe the loudmouth, impatient heathen is who I am? I don't like to think so. Maybe my healthcare plan covers therapy..........

I can't get past your avatar. 3.5 days worth of beard growth just doesn't compute.
I shaved with the M2 this morning. I used a GSB and Cremo Crème since I was in a bit of a hurry, and I'm dog sick. I was impressed with the first two passes. I really couldn't feel the blade at all. It wasn't until my 3rd pass that I started to feel the blade a bit, but just in my problem area's...jawline and under chin.

The M2 wasn't as efficient as I had hoped, but it is still fairly efficient. I had 3.5 days worth of growth to take off. If, after my 3rd pass, I have minimal cleanup and no irritation, I know I have a good shave going. I think anyone coming from an EJ or Muhle or Super Speed or any other relatively mild razor will have a nice transition with the M2. It will feel familiar enough while being more efficient, I think. Really nice feel overall. The weight of the razor is evident, so you have to be cautious of pressure.

When I finished my 3rd pass, I had more left to clean up than with my English Goodwill, but it wasn't bad. I did get a tad irritated during cleanup, and again just along my jawline and under my chin. I stopped before it got too bad and settled for DFS. I had some mild tenderness through part of the day, but again, not bad. My ASB gave me more feedback than with my Goodwill, but it was not uncomfortable.

My English Goodwill is the gold standard for my face, and so far the ATT hasn't risen to that level, but I can tell it has the possibility. Right from the first stroke, the Goodwill shaved like a dream, but to be fair I had been shaving with nothing but NEW's for quite a while. The ATT is not a NEW. I need take the time to learn this razor and understand how it works.

I have feeling that the R2 may be the ticket ultimately. The H2 was far too aggressive for everyday use. I am going to shave a few more times with the M2 to see of I can get it down. It has quite a bit of potential. Then I'll take the R2 for a spin.

I can't get past your avatar. 3.5 days worth of beard growth just doesn't compute.

Monica Bellucci. Google at your own risk. I shaved Monday night, then again Friday morning. Thursday night was 3 full days, so Friday morning was another 1/2 day. 3.5 days using writing for the lazy.

I started with 2 passes with a Kronos M2 (Personna Labs Blue) and then cleaned up with a R1 with a KAI blade.
Proraso red tub and M&F custom genuine horn blonde badger. Close to BBS with very little irritation. So many blade and plate combinations to test now, life is tough :001_unsur :biggrin1:.

Changing the plate during the shave damages the razor? Since im shaving daily and have 3 plates in my hand... H1 for first pass and r1 for chin than m1 for atg would be cool..

Well, Jeff, how did the next ATT shave go?

I haven't shaved again yet. I'm battling the flu and yesterday i felt like I'd been beaten with a bat, so I wasn't up for a shower or shave. I will shave again tonight as I feel a bit better already today.

Top Bottom