What's new

Advice/Suggestions for Burleys

Hello Gents!

The short version: I'm looking for some advice on recognizing/locating or possibly straight up suggestions for non-aromatic burley tobaccos.

The long version: Now that he's approaching retirement, my dad is picking up a few of his old pipes again (mom always hated them) and he and I have enjoyed a couple bowls together this spring. My oldest brother helped usher me into the world of pipes about ten years ago. It took me a long time to realize that I really enjoyed smoking a pipe. The only issue I had was hating my brother's taste in tobacco (sticky sweet black cavendish loaded with aromatics). As it turns out my dad and I have very similar taste in our love for nutty burleys. I still have a taste for periques from when I was smoking cigarettes. We haven't ventured into latakias yet and I've had no luck finding orientals locally.

I think the next step in my tobacco education will be mail ordering tobaccos. The tobacconist around the corner from my office has a fair amount of English tobaccos, quite a few house blends with aromatics, but only two burley blends without cherry or vanilla something-or-other. The good news is the owner is a great guy and really helpful. The two aforementioned blends are great! But their tinned tobaccos move so rarely they're mostly dried out and crunchy. The problem with ordering blind is that I'm on a pretty darn tight budget, so throwing $20 at something I might hate a few times isn't a practical tactic.

The request: Do you have any suggestions for specific tobaccos you feel are emblematic of what a good burley tobacco can be? More importantly, do you have an educational resources about tobaccos to pass along? I'm a bit of a research nerd and would love the chance to read more about tobacco varieties and curing.

Thanks for your time!

If you can find it (it used to be sold by CVS drugs only) Admiral's Choice Gold Burley is pretty good and rather inexpensive. It comes in plastic bags. You might be able to find it at a store like Smoker's Friendly. It was made by Lane Tobacco, and it might be sold under another name because the Admiral's Choice was for CVS sales only. I am not a Burley smoker, but I found this tobacco to be pretty good and I used it for blending.

Mail order is the way to go. I can't recommend good Burley blends in specific (not a huge fan of them myself, I prefer Latakia, though I kinda like Sir Walter Raleigh over the other OTC burleys), but some of my favorite mail order vendors are:

- Milan Tobacconists. They seem to concentrate on burleys for their non-aromatic non-English house blends.

- PipesAndCigars. It seems some folks have a consistently bad time with them but I and many others have had nothing other than great service.

- Sterling Tobacco Co. Jack will send you 3 generous >1oz samples for $7 cash, and his blends are good. He's got a lot of Burley blends too.

Uhle's has some of the finest burleys around, and they've earned a very loyal following of burley lovers. I'd recommend Perfection Plug Burley and Blend 00 for the natural nutty side, and Blend 300 for a very lightly-sweetened cube-cut burley blend that still tastes very natural. Crushed White Burley is another favorite of mine, but it's harder to describe.. listed as an aromatic, but it's not a syrupy-sweet aro.. it has a very old-timey vibe that is totally unique.

MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired, Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake would be some other incredible burleys to try.

for OTC burley, I love carter hall. Really mild and easy to smoke and super cheap. For something a little pricier, there is Solani Aged Burley Flake.

as far as latakia goes, my first tobacco into latakia was frog morton cellar. Still love it to this day, but some consider it a "crossover" blend.

It's technically listed as an aromatic, but Mac Baren Navy Flake is one of my favorites. It's simply pressed burley and Cavendish, with just a whisp of honey that accents rather than overwhelms. ODF is a further step into cured burleys, but it presents a nice "alternative" to latakia blends.
For a good "straight" burley, I like C&D's line of Burley flakes.
I swear by Pipes and Cigars; if they don't have anything that appeals to you, they will make a custom blend for you... in bulk! As a matter of fact, my favorite custom blend might appeal to you; I call it "Midnight Special":
3 Ounces toasted burley, 2 ounces perique, 2 ounces toasted black Cavendish, 1 ounce dark-fired burley. Give it a whack and see how it strikes you.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The request: Do you have any suggestions for specific tobaccos you feel are emblematic of what a good burley tobacco can be? More importantly, do you have an educational resources about tobaccos to pass along? I'm a bit of a research nerd and would love the chance to read more about tobacco varieties and curing.

Thanks for your time!

Some good advice above.

For something to play around with, you might check out Tobacco University , especially the pipe tobacco section...under campus, tobacco college, pipe tobacco.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Uhle's has some of the finest burleys around, and they've earned a very loyal following of burley lovers. I'd recommend Perfection Plug Burley and Blend 00 for the natural nutty side, and Blend 300 for a very lightly-sweetened cube-cut burley blend that still tastes very natural. Crushed White Burley is another favorite of mine, but it's harder to describe.. listed as an aromatic, but it's not a syrupy-sweet aro.. it has a very old-timey vibe that is totally unique.

MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired, Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake would be some other incredible burleys to try.

I'll second these recommendations for Uhle's. Another smaller shop to check out is LJ Peretti. Great burley blends. I recommend 333, 1072, and 125 Burley Slice flake.

When 4 Noggins had their bulk sale one of the burly blends I picked up was from John Patton and called Moe's Confetti. Finally got around to trying it and it's very nice, smooth nutty and somewhat sweet. It's not an aromatic. AND, with a name like Moe's Confetti, how could it not be good! :w00t:

-Moe

This is getting a little dangerous. All this stuff sounds really good! Thanks for all the excellent suggestions gents!

Special thanks to Simon1 for the link to the Tobacco University. That was extremely helpful! I have a much clearer understanding of the relationships between difference species and curings of tobacco now. Much obliged.

Badmedicine - I am definitely going to try your Midnight Special. That sounds delicious!

Top Bottom