What's new

Advice required on "real" first brush: Simpson

Hi there,
another thread of another guy asking again an advice on a Simpson purchase.
Yes indeed, if it's a given that YMMV, this thread aim is to find someone with the closest mileage than mine..

This is my story, it's a bit long but I believe it will help to understand where I am now.

Using a SR for over a year now, I did t do that much research on the brush by the time, I bought a Thiers Issard Brush, there was no real mention in the hair kind (well, it appears it 's a pure badger, as I asked the vendor).
$image.jpg
It's been a year now as I said, this buddy does the job but I'm not really fond of my experience with this brush:

I bowl lather exclusively (except when I travel, se below),the handle is a little bit too short and is not really convenient for this purpose.
I'm using both creams and hard soaps, I have to say it works fine with both.
Most important, the feeling on my face is too scratchy for me. I have a sensitive skin and I don't like the sensation.
Therefore I'm looking for more softness.

Now, I also have the travel synthetic Muhle Brush.
On the plus side, this is very convenient as it dries so fast, and the bush being stored in the handle to protect the hairs is very convenient as well.
When dry, the feeling in the skin is SO SOFT! Incredible quality IMO, however I admit I don't have any other to compare.
But... I don't understand that brush.
When I'm traveling I face lather.
First, you should know that with supynthetic, you don't only lather your face but half of the bathroom.
Then, If I don't press it against my face strongly for it to "open", well I can't build any lather.
And when I do, the result in the quality of the lather is faaaar away from the badger brush.
I tried to bowl lather. Yep, I tried.

Just to say, no synthetic for me, thank you very much, at least not for now.

After weeks of research and reading, I'm considering buying a Simpson brush.
My hesitation are on the model and the hair kind (just that).
Shortlisted are the Emperor, 2 probably, for the long handle and the amazing feedback I can read here ant there.
I'm just concerned the Super to be too floppy, and as it's not a "big" brush I fear the same feeling than my Muhle synthetic, I know it's crazy as there should be no comparison but I really can't click in the "purchase" button because of this.
BTW, no question on the 2 or 3 bands, only 3 bands are available, whatever the model, I asked Simpsom team already.
And other reseller don't get agony 2 bands anymore, or too rarely.

So, as unfortunately the Emperor is only available in Super, I also lurking on the Duke (2?) in Best.
This is a standard, maybe a must have, and I can only read "Best is best".
Handle may be too small for Bowl lathering, but it won't be worse than my Thiers Issard I guess, I got used to it now...
Who knows, I may start to like face lathering...
But, will the Best not be too scratchy for me?

I could use some of your experience here to make my final choice.
I'm willing to remain with Simpson, I'm sure other brands can do stunning brushed however I don't see any other with that a clear range of products, others are just about the handle, size, that's it.

Lest leave the $$$ parameter out of the equation for now.

So, best ? super? Which model ?

Thanks in advance!

You might think that, being from the UK, I'd be all for Simpson brushes, but my advice is to look at other options before going down that route, if for no other reason than that some Simpson brushes can be quite scritchy. One option might be to get Lee Sabini to make a brush with to your spefification (he will advise you) with a Shavemac knot.

I have several Simpson Best brushes, and with one exception, they have all been scrubby, rather than scratchy, so your lathering has more of a massaging feel to it. The Emperor 2 Super is an excellent brush, but agree that it is small, so if you don't like that, it's not the brush for you. The Simpson Fifty Series has longer handles that are a bit more friendly for bowl lathering, and a variety of knot sizes (the 57 through 59 are in the 23-26 mm range). The hair in the knot is Best grade. Fair warning, I'm a fanboy for the Fifty Series to take this advice for what it's worth.

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly go custom one day, my feeling however is that I know nothing about brushes yet.
I need to experience some, several, many maybe, then when I'm sure I know what's best for me (shape, width, length, density, backbone,etc) I will order my custom.
I'm not there yet though. Let's says I go for Emperor and I found my Holy Grail, you can be sure I will not stop there and go custom around those specs.
Shall i not be happy with the choice I make, at least I would have learn something, and I guess reselling a Simpson brush should not be that difficult...
I hope all this makes sense or am I :letterk1: ?

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly go custom one day, my feeling however is that I know nothing about brushes yet.
I need to experience some, several, many maybe, then when I'm sure I know what's best for me (shape, width, length, density, backbone,etc) I will order my custom.
I'm not there yet though. Let's says I go for Emperor and I found my Holy Grail, you can be sure I will not stop there and go custom around those specs.
Shall i not be happy with the choice I make, at least I would have learn something, and I guess reselling a Simpson brush should not be that difficult...
I hope all this makes sense or am I :letterk1: ?

I hear what you say, but would put in the counter argument that Lee could do you a brush that he thinks would best meet your needs (and few people know more about brushes), so you'd be more likely to get something that would do an excellent job than by picking a brush at random, or on reputation. As for cost, top quality Simpsons cost a lot, and a custom brush might not be that much more.

I have several Simpson Best brushes, and with one exception, they have all been scrubby, rather than scratchy, so your lathering has more of a massaging feel to it. The Emperor 2 Super is an excellent brush, but agree that it is small, so if you don't like that, it's not the brush for you. The Simpson Fifty Series has longer handles that are a bit more friendly for bowl lathering, and a variety of knot sizes (the 57 through 59 are in the 23-26 mm range). The hair in the knot is Best grade. Fair warning, I'm a fanboy for the Fifty Series to take this advice for what it's worth.

+1. Take this with a grain of salt as I have also become a Simpson's fanboy.

For me, Simpson's best grade has the best balance of backbone and scritch. I face-lather and like this grade better than the more expensive ones that I have tried.

I currently have a Duke 2, 57 and 56. Have also tried a number of other brushes. I do not think you want any of the short, stubby brushes, such as Chubby or Classic.

The Duke would work in a bowl, but the fifty series may suit you a bit better as these have substantial handles that would work great in the bowl. I have no experience with them, but the Polo series might also merit consideration for bowl lathering (on the more expensive end). You should also consider the "usual suspects" (less expensive end): Commodore, Colonel, etc.

I've owned many Simpson brushes. None were floppy. Consider one of the larger 50 series or a Polo.
I still have a Polo 8 Super and it's a great brush. You might also look at Shavemac.

I used to be a bowl latherer who liked a little scritch, but now a face latherer who likes a softer brush. At one time I had 8 Simpsons, all in Best. Some were scritchy, some were very soft. Since you're a bowl latherer and want a Simpson, I have to agree with those who recommend the 50 Series. I had a Duke 2 and, while capable of bowl lathering, I found it more suited to face lathering. My 56, on the other hand, which I gave to my (bowl-lathering) brother-in-law when I switched to face lathering, was a great (soft) bowl lathering brush, However, if I ever went back to bowl lathering I'd go with a 57 or 58.

Well I love simpson brushes but I have many. Shavemac m&f/paladin wiborg plisson etc. Most simpson brushes are great but it depends on your needs or wants. They can be pricey yes but at the same time their service is great. I bug mark all the time not for fun but with questions, and for doing vintage reknots etc. He reply back or someone else there very promptly. Any issues with a brush they replace it, and just all around good quality and good service. Now that said many other brush companies also provide great quality and great service. Ken at paladin. Lee is hard to reach sometimes but great to work with and so on. So you can ask for advice but at the end of the day I can say simpson is the best but once you buy it you may not like it.

Wow thanks all for prompt replies.
50's series were on my initial pick list, I did read a lot about them. Not sure why I did not shortlisted the 58, maybe the handle and overall brush looks alike my Thiers Issard... Maybe I was more interested into something that looks different surch as the Emperor.
Anyways this opens new perspectives.
I guess I can first lean towards the 58, as the brush I need, and then why not consider the emperor (or else) as the brushes I want..
i never said this would be an exclusive relationship :blushing:

I'll give all this some thoughts!
Thanks again :)

I hear what you say, but would put in the counter argument that Lee could do you a brush that he thinks would best meet your needs (and few people know more about brushes), so you'd be more likely to get something that would do an excellent job than by picking a brush at random, or on reputation. As for cost, top quality Simpsons cost a lot, and a custom brush might not be that much more.
Indeed you may be right, only, if I don't what I want, I'm not sure I can get it from someone else.
When I will order a custom, and believe me this day will come, it will be on specifics that I would have chosen.

Ok now I did some reading, I will pull the trigger on a fifty series but 57 or 58, that is the question...
Other than the size of the handle, is the behavior of the brush any different between the 2?

Last edited:

+1. The fifty series is first rate. I have a 57 and new 56, both in best. Terrific brushes IMO. I use these for face lathering, but they would also work very well in the bowl due to the terrific handles.

Well, advices followed. I gave up my ideas on the Emperor (for now:001_rolle) and pulled the trigger on the 57.
Few weeks to be expected for the delivery in Dubai. I will definitely post a feedback.

I just recently added a Chubby 1 in best and its great. Its coming along now, only had 4 uses, but I would'nt characterize it as "scritchy".
Its a soft brush, with great backbone. Its awesome to face lather with, and has gotten better at creating/releasing lather on shaves 3 & 4.

57 arrived finally !
i have to admit: I found it beautiful. I haven't tried it yet but I can already tell that it is much more soft than my previous brush, although it seems to have a good backbone.
I'll try it in 2 days !

$image.jpg

Nice. The loft on the recent Fifties is a bit higher than my five year old 57. You will get great flowthrough from that knot. Enjoy!

Top Bottom