What's new

Advice please: Synthetic brush other than Muhle 23 v2

I need some advice from the synthetic brush gurus.

I have a Muhle 23mm v2 synthetic brush that I have been using for travel. The problem is that I just don't like it very much. The issue with the Muhle is that it feels "numb" to me on my face - very springy with very little splay - compared to the silvertip badgers I use at home (2 TGN fans set at 22/44 and 24/48, and a Rooney 24). I like backbone with minimal scritch. I also find that I fling lather a lot more with the Muhle, particularly if I try to force it to splay. I am a face latherer. I use a soap stick when I travel, and sometimes use the same sticks at home with no issues.

I have been reading about other synthetics. Plisson seems to get some good reviews, but many find it lacks enough backbone for face lathering. Whipped Dog 24mm also gets very good reviews. Can anyone compare these (or others) to the Muhle as far as face feel, backbone, springiness, splay, lather flinging, etc. for a face latherer? I'd like to have a synthetic for when I travel, but not if I don't enjoy using it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Subscribed.

I'm also shopping around for a synthetic to add to my brush rotation, but having a hard time choosing.

Besides the brushes mentioned by the OP, could someone comment of the two new Simpson offerings, the Case Classic and Chubby 2?

I added the RR Plisson to the arsenal - Im anxious to try it. I have the Muhle STF XL and really enjoy it. I havent tried the 23MM, but have seen people compare both the 23 and 25mm versions - state their preference for the XL.

L"Occitane Plisson whips up a great lather for me as well. I had used it for bowl lathering in my early days of DE shaving, but intend to use it for face lathering on my next shave.

Here's a vote for the Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic. I think it has turned me into a full-time synthetic user after using mainly badgers for a long time. It's also a great bargain.

The WD creates lather quickly and is very soft on the face. What I really like is that it gives up the lather much more readily than the badgers and boars I've tried. I have not tried the Muhle so I can't compare, but set at the standard depth, my WD splays readily without much lather fling.

I have only tried one synthetic brush the The Bluebeards Revenge "Vanguard" so I can't offer any comparisons. As this is my only brush I'm also keen to find another brush but not because I'm unhappy with this one as it's great. My choice would be Whipped Dog in 30mm just because I have heard so many great things about Larry :)

Whipped Dog 24mm

badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453579-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-Mega-Review-Add-your-experiences-here

Thanks for the link, Jinx18, and for the great job of reviewing on that thread. Based on all the feedback (thank you all), I just ordered a Whipped Dog 24. I was tempted by the $9.99 Italian Barber Plissoft, but it just sounds too floppy for my taste.

Whipped Dog 24mm

badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453579-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-Mega-Review-Add-your-experiences-here

Last edited:
I have 2 plissons "for loccitane" and exclusively face lather VDH luxury soap.

Both work great - making thick, slick lather in 1/4 of the time as my silvertip badgers, with 1/2 the loading time.
One has 10% more density/backbone than the other.
Neither flings lather, and both are easy to splay.
Both hold (but don't dump) water, and stay warm as long as my boar.

I prefer them to my TGN silvertips and semogue 1305 by a wide margin.

Another Plisson pour L'Occitane user here.

However, based on what the OP writes, I doubt he is going to be happy with this. It also feels quite numb on the face (even though splaying is not a problem) and is also somewhat springy. Coming from a badger, these things were a bit bothersome, but when I went back to the badger after using this, I found the badger does not lather as quickly and efficiently. So, in the end, given the lathering efficiency and the fact that it's animal free, I chose to keep using it.

If I come across a better option for a synthetic (via near universal reviews) that claim you get the badger feel and the lathering efficiency of a synthetic, I will get that, but until then Plisson it is for me.

Top Bottom