What's new

Advice please: Parker Semi-Slant Vs. Merkur 37c

M

mtcn77

I have the Merkur 39C it is a very well engineered razor.
If I had only found my current blade pick 'Shark' in time, I would have happily continued on with my 37C.
It is one of those classics.
My one r41 head is decomposing from within after a only a short period.
I put my yaqi slant in hot alkaline solution once, acid solution twice and the dark finish has started to come off leaving the copper undertones. I think I figured it this time with shaving foam as a safer alternative.
Do I mind now that there are copper sparkles over its bronze color? No, actually I would like to strip it to its pink undertone.

I have had both, now still only my 37c (as the only slant). For my, much more comfortable and less nicks than the Parker Semislant. I also like the smaller handle. I have also got a 34c HD version.

The looks of the Parker though were the best, I had it in grey, looked absolutely stunning. Unfortunately I cannot shave with looks... so I sold it.

Still, I think with any mild razor, you can get the same irritation free result, but you have to put some effort in trying to find the perfect angle for each razor

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If you look over on the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers sub, you'll find last year's Tilted Picnic slant reviews, which hit both of those razors and some others.

Either the Parker Semi-Slant or the Merkur 37/39 is a decent razor. They tend to shave pretty much the same, because their designs are pretty similar. The only real difference is the Merkur 37 and 39 are two-piece razors while the Parker is a three-piece.

I have a preference for stainless. I like the mass, the slickness, the shine. Zamak, aluminum, bakelite and other non-stainless materials just aren't as engaging to me. I'll also admit that I have a couple of plastic razors (which I struggle with), and one of the barber straights I like the most -- the Focus Slim Al -- is an aluminum razor that gives me wonderful shaves.

I thought to notice that the plating on the Parker was pretty thin. I used it for two weeks and the handle wore into the plating around the screw. I've generally not been exhilerated by Parker razors, but they are inexpensive and they do work at least for a while.

Like almost everybody I started with a Merkur. 38C for me; which taught me that Merkur's barberpole handles aren't a good fit to my hands. Same handle as the 39C. The 34/37 handle is shorter but still longer than many vintage handles. They're decent razors, but again Zamak and what must be the most-copied slant head design means the shave just doesn't stand out compared to other razors.

O.H.

I’ve got 3 shaves now with the razor (Parker semi-slant). I personally really like it. First impressions were good. It was packaged neatly and didn’t have any weird marks or stains on it. No irregularities from a cursory look. I have the satin chrome one. Looks and feels good. Knurling is good too, similar to the 33c but the satin finish as opposed to chrome coating is grippier. The handle is also much longer and thicker (which I seem to prefer). Compared to my 33c the shave is smoother and less irritating but it has more blade feel. It’s a bit tricky to line it up and get the angle as I learn the head geometry and weight but so far i really like it. A little more aggressive but nice and tight and still mild and unirritating. Definitely shaves closes after two passes than the 33c and my resistant trouble areas shave a lot better too. Blade alignment on mine is perfect as is blade gap. It’s the same across the razor on both sides. Considering the price I’m very impressed. Will update after I try it with feather blades and have some more use with it.

Alright! I've used the 55SL for about 7 shaves at this point. 4 with a brand new parker blade and 3 with a brand new feather blade. I've really enjoyed it so far. It is more aggressive than the 33C but I'm not getting any razor burn or anything like that. Infact I'm somehow getting less. It has wayy more blade feel and it is a bit tricky to use because the handle is so much longer and heavier than the 33c and the head is much thicker and obviously slanted. It'll take time to get used and I've only gotten a couple of small cuts here and there (nothing major). You have to use REALLY light pressure, much less forgiving than the 33c but manageable in my opinion. The overall quality of the razor is good, I don't have any weird marks or anything on mine and it screws together as one would expect. No scuffs, no misalignments etc. I've done 2 pass and 3 pass shaves and it is much closer all around after two passes and a little closer after 3. The main difference is in my trouble areas thankfully, which shave closer and more effectively. Whether this is just the boost in aggression or the slant I can't tell, but I enjoy using it and it is now my daily use razor. Efficient but not harming. Ironically, I don't like parker blades in the razor, feathers are much better for me in this one whilst in the 33c I liked parkers more than the feathers! Whatdyaknow!

Once you go slant you may not come back. I think for wet shavers open to a different efficient ( & potently less skin irritation) option once you feel confident, comfortable and your technique has improved, the slant is a great addition to any den. Great for the rotation and very handy if you have a few days of growth to plow down. I believe the user learning curve and the slant selected can be the first challenge and impediment. Naturally they both are paired together(including the blade). One tip I heard from geofatbad a while back was, think of your face has an existing bad sunburn. Focus on the air of the glide, no pressure and d not change directions during the glide stroke. Take you time and enjoy the glide ride. Remember that blade is closer to your skin on a slant, so No Pressure...pun intended. I do recommend the Parker Semi as a good place to start. For 30 bucks, give it a try if you are open to bring in an slant to you den. You can naturally switch out the handle if you are not a long or heavy handle user.
Enjoy, have fun, try to put a positive 'slant' on whatever you do! Take care of that face it is the only one you got...Cheers BFX

Top Bottom