What's new

Advice please: Parker Semi-Slant Vs. Merkur 37c

Hey everyone,

I've had my merkur 33c for around two years now and want something a little different, somewhat more efficient but without being more aggressive or having substantially more blade exposure or feel. My real problem, lies in the fact that I shave daily and shorter stubble (for me at least) is substantially more difficult to shave than longer stubble. There are parts of my neck, chin, upper lip and just under my lower lip that do not shave easily at all and simply get irritated as I continue to buff, or don't quite get fully shaven (compared to the rest of my face) even after doing a complete three passes. The only exception is when I shave after a few days, then its just BBS all round with no effort.

Thats why I've looked into slant bars, I feel like they'd be perfect for my dilemma. Question is, I cannot for the life of me tell what the difference between these two razors are other than price. Where I am, the parker is basically half-the price. Parker blades are also my favourite, so I'm leaning towards the parker but I'd like to hear your opinions on these. Any particular differences?

I shave daily, have somewhat sensitive skin and prefer mild to medium razor. Bought the Parker semi slant recently because I like to try different kinds of razors. I love it! Was shocked how easy it was to get the hang of it. Really close shave without irritation. The quality was so good I have started looking at other Parker products. I’d say go with the Parker and save the money.

Sorry for the slight diversion but...Have you considered the RazoRock German 37 Slant? I get great results with the RR bulldog handle and a Voskhod.
razorock products aren't available without paying almost double for the product and shipping. Parker and merkur are available through retailers here which is why I picked them out I guess. I'd try it but its not worth it for me. Thanks for the suggestion though

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
To be straight with you (forgive the pun) I have neither in my current line up. I have one of my closest friend who owns the Parker Semi Slant among his many razors including Merkur’s. He is not a great fan of the semi slant. He owns the 55SL. It is a smooth shave and certainly is a mild razor for a slant. Merkur are a good solid razor 39c has been mentioned is excellent.

I would also give consideration to RasoRock as a brand. I have a Gamechanger .084 in my current rotation. It holds up well with my Tatara, Feather and Wolfman at a fraction of the cost.

Razors are a very subjective issue. My previous comment was my personal opinion between Parker slant and Merkur. I have been a wet shaver for over 50 years. Started with DE then went to straight razor and I am now back with DE with the occasional disposal along the way.

My advice is do your research don’t be driven by budget because a good razor will last a lifetime giving you great shaves when price is forgotten.

Well I've ordered the 55SL! We'll see what happens in a few days but I read a lot of other reviews and saw some side by side comparisons with the 37c and its maybe .01 degrees less slanted. I don't really know where the 'semi' part comes in but I'll give my feedback after a couple of uses. The parker is supposed to be more aggressive than the 37c, razor emporium has a video where he uses both so either way, they are equally good razors.

razorock products aren't available without paying almost double for the product and shipping. Parker and merkur are available through retailers here which is why I picked them out I guess. I'd try it but its not worth it for me. Thanks for the suggestion though
Go vintage then. Any $10 or $20 Gillette Tech is nicer and equally a mild shaver. Imo both choices are trash, zamak heads. I have one modern razor with a Zamak head, it already looks like crap, deteriorating from the inside out as they'll do.
16171749435087802467139585174744.jpg

Last edited:
Well I've ordered the 55SL! We'll see what happens in a few days but I read a lot of other reviews and saw some side by side comparisons with the 37c and its maybe .01 degrees less slanted. I don't really know where the 'semi' part comes in but I'll give my feedback after a couple of uses. The parker is supposed to be more aggressive than the 37c, razor emporium has a video where he uses both so either way, they are equally good razors.

Enjoy!! Let us know how you like it (PLEASE)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Go vintage then. Any $10 or $20 Gillette Tech is nicer and equally a mild shaver. Imo both choices are trash, zamak heads. I have one modern razor with a Zamak head, it already looks like crap, deteriorating from the inside out as they'll do.
View attachment 1244360
I wouldn't buy a vintage razor either way, I personally prefer to buy brand new exclusively for hygiene products. I've shaved almost daily with my 33c using a variety of blades and soaps/creams/gels/foams/water. Other than soap stains I haven't bothered to clean out, it's just fine. Cleans up well and shows no signs of degradation. I've already ordered the 55SL so we'll see how it is after I get my hands on it.

I have the Merkur 39C it is a very well engineered razor.

Blade sits perfectly in the head with no room to wiggle so the alignment is always spot on

Shave shave is smooth depending on, prep, blade choice, etc... But I did shave through 1 week worth of growth with it using a Personna Israeli blade and ploughed through it no problem

Tempted to pick up the Parker - it has been sitting in my eBay checkout for a couple of weeks now but do I really need two slants?

I hear Parker is made out of brass. Any advice?
Someone else will have to chime in.
Far as I know all of them are zamak heads, and the various "manufacturers" are all using the same supplier for their heads.
I could be wrong, to me they all look the same.
My one r41 head is decomposing from within after a only a short period. No "new" razors for me, I'll stick with the classics that are only going up in value.
As grampa always said, "they don't make them like they use to".

Top Bottom