What's new

Advice on Variety

Hello, Gents. So I looked this morning, and this is my first post since 2012. Woah! I guess that makes me a bit of an old timer.

Anyway, my hands-down all-time favorite AS (Floid Blue) is almost gone. I am looking for some recommendations. I am not necessarily looking for a Floid replica. I've done some reading on here recently and found a bottle or two of similar products that I plan to try.

Here are my questions for you guys:

1. If I ignore fragrance completely, what product is closest to Floid Blue in performance (i.e. face feel and what it does to your skin)?
2. What other after shaves really stand out to you?

I'm throwing in a pic of the five I use most. Behind Floid Blue, I like the other Floid (Spanish Floid is what I used to call it?) and Bay Rum. My face seems to like the alcoholic stuff. I haven't really looked for new products in nearly a decade, so catch me up. What seems to be the most popular alcohol based after shaves these days?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_3372.JPEG

Floid Blue is gone as is Dominica Bay Rum. There is a new Floid forumula available that has many skin goodies inside. I used it today for the first time. It is not as powdery as I remember the old Italian Genuine and it reminds me more of Epsilon Amber including a refreshing menthol blast. Definitely something to try out!
E88B86A6-E02D-46CA-8F4A-7FD90A202FC1.jpeg

I still fancy Fresh-up (don't know it that is internationally available though), and certainly Pitralon classic for my skin and it's freshness! Old spice if you like things sweeter / spicier.

What do you think of the scent of Varon Dandy? I hope you like how it smells because that bottle is big enough to last you a long, long time.
It is a distinguished old school scent, not powdery Barbershop but also not like Knize 10 to which it is sometimes compared, as leather and diesel is completely missing. I used it twice as body splash/mist and it works fine layering with an EDT. It is ridiculously cheap but the scent isn’t cheap at all. There used to be an EDT around as well but currently I can only find the EdC and AS.

I was contemplating getting the AS as well but this is a too high commitment. I do like Barber sizes as the pictured Floid but 1,000ml is too much. I might try the EDC as an AS and could even decant a bit to mix with 1-2 drops of Glycerin for an experiment. As you said whatever the use case it will last for a long time.

How do you use it?

Pretty good longevity, used as a body splash it stays close to the skin though.
The AS is 9.95 and the EDC 12.90 :eek2:

With the Lavender/Anise top notes and the Oakmoss/Amber base it closer to Azzaro pour homme although at only a fraction of strength compared to this powerhouse scent.

BBF93A08-22EF-4243-9B49-78F577480145.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check that one out. I've liked all of the Floid products I've used, so I have no reason to doubt that one is good, too.

A couple of Fine products caught my eye. Do you know how the Italian Citrus differs from the l'orange noir? Have you used both?
@Marco did a splendid review, as usual, on the new Floid so enjoy the read.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
...A couple of Fine products caught my eye. Do you know how the Italian Citrus differs from the l'orange noir? Have you used both?

Not sure. The Italian Citrus is a citrus barber shop scent. Very nice. I have two of their soaps and three of their aftershaves. They make good stuff.

Also, when did Dominica Bay Rum go away? That bums me out!
I think there were some Hurricane issues (Erica 2015, Maria 2017) that reduced the bay leaf harvest and production on Dominica immensely and so it somehow disappeared from the market at least in Europe. Not sure if it is meanwhile again available in the States.

1. If I ignore fragrance completely, what product is closest to Floid Blue in performance (i.e. face feel and what it does to your skin)?
What do you mean by performance? What are you looking for?

2. What other after shaves really stand out to you?

My favorite aftershave (performance and scent) is Crown Shaving Co. Tonic.

I also love Floid Vigoroso, which you already own (2nd favorite).

I used RazoRock XXX for the first time today and I think I just found my third favorite aftershave.

What do you mean by performance? What are you looking for?
Valid question. Here's the best way I can describe what I mean:

The other day I shaved my goatee for the first time in over 5 years. I used a shavette-style straight razor, and I forgot how many curves my chin has. Afterward, it looked like I whipped my face with a rusty chainsaw blade. A splash of Floid Blue, touching up with a little 444 balm on the problem areas, and I was looking normal again.

I don't typically nick my face, but by "performance" I guess I mean the healing qualities of Floid Blue. It makes my razor burn go away, it feels good, and I don't break out (as I do with some witch hazel products).

I saw someone elsewhere on B&B singing the praises of RazoRock as well. At their price point, I might pick up one of theirs just to try.

I've never had the privilege of trying Dominica Bay Rum, but read so many good reviews on it. If it's a straight forward Bay Rum with not a lot of complexity, you may want to try Captain's Choice Bay Rum.
Its the only Bay Rum I've ever tried...so I don't really know if it is straight forward or not. Haha. Dominica is good stuff, though.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to buy the formulas and rights to produce some of these old after shaves and recreate it?

Its the only Bay Rum I've ever tried...so I don't really know if it is straight forward or not. Haha. Dominica is good stuff, though.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to buy the formulas and rights to produce some of these old after shaves and recreate it?
The issue is that the needed Bay leaf oil just isn’t there in sufficient quantities and people say that it has a similar terroir as wine. This could either be good marketing or the reason that there are so many different scented Bay Rum products. Until now I couldn’t find a suitable replacement product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Marco did a splendid review, as usual, on the new Floid so enjoy the read.

As usual, you are always too kind my friend. :001_smile

Top Bottom