What's new

Advice on Schick E5

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thought I had already responded to this query, but I think that the E5 can come in either cardboard or bakelite, per the Abbleby source http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm. My only black handled E5 is Canadian in a black bakelite box, which isn't quite the same as the Type D case, with the "wax seal" lid. I'll try and take a quick picture to illustrate ..

Ok, on the left is the maroon "wax seal" Type D case, center is a Canadian E5 in a black bakelite case, and another Canadian in the same lid design but which was found containing an E3. View attachment 399092

View attachment 398944

Last edited:
I have a Canadian one that came in the brown exterior/red interior case (back of the case is marked with "made in canada", not the usual "20 year guarantee". I can't know though if it originally came in that case or was moved to it at some point.

-jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I have a Canadian one that came in the brown exterior/red interior case (back of the case is marked with "made in canada", not the usual "20 year guarantee". I can't know though if it originally came in that case or was moved to it at some point.

-jim

Jim makes a good point - lots of razors have moved cases during their history. But I do have an E-2 set, as found, in which the Twenty Year Guarantee is printed on the shipper - the brown case has "Made in Canada" inside the lid, razor and injector are both Canadian as well.

$IMG_7004.jpg

Check out the pic of the back of the case. At the top you can make out some embossing. Using my daughter to confirm it, it says "Made in United States of America". I never saw that until I took this picture - it's really hard to see in hand.

$IMG_7708.jpg

$IMG_7709.jpg

It's a nickle plated razor, but looks gold in this pic

$IMG_7710.jpg

-jim

Check out the pic of the back of the case. At the top you can make out some embossing. Using my daughter to confirm it, it says "Made in United States of America". I never saw that until I took this picture - it's really hard to see in hand.

View attachment 399510

View attachment 399511

It's a nickle plated razor, but looks gold in this pic

View attachment 399512

-jim

Reviving a zombie thread but it is as good of a place as any.
Just to clear up some misunderstandings here. That razor is not a Type E injector. The fact it says Eversharp on the spring puts it at 1946 which makes it a Type G model. It is commonly accepted that besides the patent number changes on the razor head for American injectors that the E models were the last series of injectors made by the Magazine Repeating Razor Company and the G models were the first by Eversharp which took control of the Schick brand in 1946. This is also reflected in the advertising records also. 1946 is the delineating line between Type E and Type G injectors and Eversharp made injectors vs prior made ones by Magazine Repeating Razor Company. So if the razor says Eversharp anywhere on it. It is a Type G in this case end of story.

What is interesting is with these Canadian black handle Type G razors they came with and without the tab on the spring. That one above has the tabs on the spring and this Canadian one doesn't.
G1nospring.jpg

I am going to do some more digging see if I can find a more exact date for these razors.
Best guess is the one with tabs is 46/47 and the one without a 47/48 and that at least one of these might have been the mythical E4 that no one knows anything about or has seen an example of but it is on all the accepted designation lists for injectors.

Last edited:
Abbleby calls out black handles as E5.

E5: Rarely seen with black handle.

But he also lists "Magazine Repeating Razor Co." for all E's

I'll have to go through my black handles and see if they all say Eversharp. I bet they do.

I agree there is an incongruity with a trusted source. He does not list a black handle in the G types, yet there is that later head on what seems to be an earlier handle. And the black handle does not seem to fit it in with any of the other G types (it isn't molded plastic). I've suspected for some time that it's a transition - a using up of old stock. Could be wrong about that though, although I would think if it was a regular production item, there would be more of them. They aren't rare, but not as common as most G's. More like the Gold Filled.

I think it's a different type altogether, all by itself - an E/G. But I can certainly see the viewpoint that it is a G based solely on the head and manufacturer date.

And none of this takes in account the cases that they came in.

Just my opinion though.

I like razors that don't fit in with what is generally accepted. More interesting discussions.

-jim

Abbleby calls out black handles as E5.

E5: Rarely seen with black handle.

But he also lists "Magazine Repeating Razor Co." for all E's

I'll have to go through my black handles and see if they all say Eversharp. I bet they do.

I agree there is an incongruity with a trusted source. He does not list a black handle in the G types, yet there is that later head on what seems to be an earlier handle. And the black handle does not seem to fit it in with any of the other G types (it isn't molded plastic). I've suspected for some time that it's a transition - a using up of old stock. Could be wrong about that though, although I would think if it was a regular production item, there would be more of them. They aren't rare, but not as common as most G's. More like the Gold Filled.

I think it's a different type altogether, all by itself - an E/G. But I can certainly see the viewpoint that it is a G based solely on the head and manufacturer date.

And none of this takes in account the cases that they came in.

Just my opinion though.

I like razors that don't fit in with what is generally accepted. More interesting discussions.

-jim
With the springs in the US and in Canada also at least in 46 they still said Schick Injector on them, if your razor said that then there is no way to say for sure if it is an E or G type injector especially since it has the tabbed spring. Since it says Eversharp Schick I know for sure it is maybe as earlier as 47 but definitely a 48 or later for sure since the first ones I know for sure that said Eversharp Schick on the spring from the beginning is the Schick 66 or G4 which I know for sure came out first in 1948. It puts the razor solidly in the Type G date range and Eversharp production of these razors.

You are right about it being a transition piece based on the springs going from tabbed to non tabbed since both examples are of the Eversharp Schick stamped spring. With the US made injectors they go from tabbed on the E3 to the non tabbed springs on the G1.

The one you have contradicts that information and since the actual example is the more valid form of proof here then the only conclusion I can draw is it is a transition piece based upon that and the fact it says Eversharp on the spring. With that said if it doesn't shave like an E3 or G1 and if called a hybrid because it shaves somewhere in the middle is certainly valid.

The E5 is a legit type E. It is nothing more than a black handled E2 with the movable spring. It was sold between 1937 and 1938.

This one was sold in $2.00 De Luxe set
E5.jpg

Here is another one that was sold in the 89 cent introductory kit.
black handle e2.jpgblack handle e2a.jpg

Besides the movable spring you can tell for sure it is an Type E because it only has one patent number on it. The double patent numbers on the razor heads didn't appear until 1946 and with the G1 when going by American made Schick injectors. Unfortunately with the Canadian stuff it is not so easy to date the change over using patent numbers or other manufacturing revisions.

To add to this there are 2 distinct E5 razors. First one was produced for a few months in 1937 and the other the other from 1937 - 1939. The earlier one far as I know is the same shave as an E1 which shares the same lather guard. The second one is identical to the E2 w/movable spring same style lather guard.
e5v1v2b.jpg

The earlier as seen here is the same as the first version of the movable spring E2 and E1.
These razors should be identical shave wise
e123.jpg

Instruction sheets for all 3
e1e5instruction.jpgse1ad.jpg

Finally here is the 2nd E5 alongside the E2 w/movable spring 2nd lather guard iteration, both being produced between 1937 - 1939. Both are the same shave just different color handles is what really differentiates them.
e25.jpg

Would this flat spring version (black handled E1?) also be considered an E5?
Depends how you want to delineate the Type E razors. It is a cool find though. I think what is more important here is what set or sets was the black handle Type E injectors sold in. Were they in both the Introductory and De Luxe sets, only one of the two or some other set we don't know about that was sold between 1936 - 1938.

I have read your story on this gem of a razor, but I never read the finer details. Found in the wild or you paid through the nose on the Internet? Curious.
Neither. I wish I had a great story of a eureka find in some out of the way antique store, but the boring truth is this razor was one of a lot I purchased on eBay. I couldn't name other razors in the lot but I seem to recall it was a pretty junky collection. I do remember that the pictures were poor and I couldn't positively identify the E5 (or whatever this is), but I was pretty sure. The seller, of course, had no idea what any of the razors were; it was just a handful of "old razors". The lot went cheap so it wasn't much of a risk. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Neither. I wish I had a great story of a eureka find in some out of the way antique store, but the boring truth is this razor was one of a lot I purchased on eBay. I couldn't name other razors in the lot but I seem to recall it was a pretty junky collection. I do remember that the pictures were poor and I couldn't positively identify the E5 (or whatever this is), but I was pretty sure. The seller, of course, had no idea what any of the razors were; it was just a handful of "old razors". The lot went cheap so it wasn't much of a risk. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Upon further research if we go by how the marketing and retailers referred to each then this is how to delineate it.
From the Pittsburgh Press Dec 19th. 1935
1935E1ad.jpg

It clearly states in black and gold aka the razor you have or onyx-composition and gold which is the E1. This also puts the introduction date for the Type razors at Christmas time of 1935. So technically the E5 variations should really just be referred to as black handle E1 or E2 razors depending the style of the guard and/or spring.

Full page ad as an attachment with newspaper date in margin.

Attachments

• The_Pittsburgh_Press_Thu__Dec_19__1935_rs.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 8
Upon further research if we go by how the marketing and retailers referred to each then this is how to delineate it.
From the Pittsburgh Press Dec 19th. 1935
View attachment 1051489

It clearly states in black and gold aka the razor you have or onyx-composition and gold which is the E1. This also puts the introduction date for the Type razors at Christmas time of 1935. So technically the E5 variations should really just be referred to as black handle E1 or E2 razors depending the style of the guard and/or spring.

Full page ad as an attachment with newspaper date in margin.
That is fantastic information; thank you very much for researching this and posting what you found. Apparently Schick was proud of this new release: according to the inflation calculator, $2.00 in 1935 is nearly $38 in today's dollars, a pretty princely sum for a razor during the depression.

It seems like Appleby's classification system is inconsistent in its treatment of razors that are otherwise identical, save for the color of the handle: in some cases this is just a color variant within type (e.g. Type I black and ivory variants), in others it's classified as a type of its own, like the subject example of the black handled E1 and E2 being given their own type of E5. I guess it depends whether you favor taxanomic lumping or splitting, but it should be one or the other. I think it may be time for some "official" revisions. Any volunteers?

That is fantastic information; thank you very much for researching this and posting what you found. Apparently Schick was proud of this new release: according to the inflation calculator, $2.00 in 1935 is nearly $38 in today's dollars, a pretty princely sum for a razor during the depression.

It seems like Appleby's classification system is inconsistent in its treatment of razors that are otherwise identical, save for the color of the handle: in some cases this is just a color variant within type (e.g. Type I black and ivory variants), in others it's classified as a type of its own, like the subject example of the black handled E1 and E2 being given their own type of E5. I guess it depends whether you favor taxanomic lumping or splitting, but it should be one or the other. I think it may be time for some "official" revisions. Any volunteers?

I already starting doing so on another forum. I'd link to the thread but the ops here will delete it.

The problem with Appleby's designations is they seem to be done based upon the order he found them and not by any sort of chronological or the the marketing did.

To starting sorting all this out you need to split the Type E razors first by movable spring and fixed spring. It is a nice clean dividing line for 2 reasons first reason I already stated and second the sets change from the introductory kit and De Luxe kits to the 20 year guarantee cases. I also know the black handle Type E razors were only produced in moveable spring variations so they also fall nice and neat into this split.

If we go by that then 4 of 6 movable spring razors are identical shavers.

The first 4, 3 pictured here and the other being the black handle E1.
e123.jpg

The one called an E1 is on the left then a previously undocumented E2 first iteration in the middle and it's accompanying black handle version commonly called an E5.
What makes them all the same shaver is that lather guard. Even though the spring changed the razor's shave geometry didn't.

The last 2 is the second E2 movable spring variant and it's accompanying black handle version commonly called an E5.
e25.jpg

When the lather guard channel changed so did the shave geometry. These 2 are the most aggressive of the Type E razors.

Now for fixed spring Type E razors the progression is fairly straight forward from here. There are only 3 razors left I know of. How they shave in comparison to each other I don't know but I do know the last version of the E2 does not shave the same as the movable spring Type E razors.

First are what are termed Type E2 razors
3rd variant and first fixed spring E2
e2v3.jpg

4th and last version of the E2 also a fixed spring razor.
E2v4b.jpg

Finally an E3 which the only major change from the last iteration of the E2 is the addition of the grooves on the lather guard to improve it's grip for stretching the skin.
E3a.jpge3b.jpg
There is no E4 far as I know.

Ahhh! It looks like I have an E3. I’ll post a picture of mine tomorrow. Fixed spring and striating lines/grooves across the bar. Fantastic razor!

Top Bottom