What's new

Advice on putting knot in new handle

Hi all. I bought a silvertip a couple of years ago from a U.K. Brushmaker now based in Cape town with a full Jermyn St-style shop. I was never fully happy with performance and the brush looked a bit thin compared to others, so he kindly accepted to return and re-knot it with a Manchurian knot he had spare. The result is the middle brush in the picture. While it has been much better, I think the knot is too big and loft too much for the relatively small handle. But I know nothing about knots and lofts so wanted your advice whether to set a bit deeper in a bigger handle. I've included my new Paladin (bigger than I expected - love it) and prematurely balding Simpson Duke for size reference. Might that Duke handle work for the middle knot if put a bit deeper?
IMG_4301.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG

The loft does look a bit high on the middle brush; it certainly wouldn't be my choice, although those who bowl lather might like it more. The problem you might have, however, is getting the knot out without damaging it. Occasionally a knot will just pull out, but on a modern brush, if it's been set properly, that will not be the case.
You might try steaming it out by setting the brush on top of a saucer in a pan of water at a rolling simmer, but that might not work, or could damage the knot. The drastic option is to try and smash or cut the knot free of the handle, but the risk of the knot falling apart as you do this is very high.

Ignoring the looks, how does it work for you? The loft is more old school, but that's not necessarily bad. I bet it has great flow through. I would actually like to try one like that someday. Even if it looks a little unbalanced.

Typically folks sacrifice the handle to save the knot, or sacrifice the knot to save the handle.

If it's useful in its present form, I'd leave it alone, look to get a replacement knot for the Simpson. Just one man's opinion.

Do you have calipers?

See how big the one in the middle is at its widest point above the handle. It may be that it's not set lower than it is because it wouldn't fit into that little handle.

See how big the opening is in your Duke. Is it a 1,2, or 3?
If the Duke handle opening is larger than the largest part of the knot in the middle brush you could put the best of the two together.

Like @Cumberland Sausage said, it is not without risk.

Thanks a lot, I wouldn't do it myself - would get an expert involved! I will use it some more before deciding whether to risk/pay to change it up. Good to hear some like the look of it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The brush in the middle looks very traditional. In the past there was a far greater variety of knot sizes, shapes and ratios to the handle. But there was far less grading designations. Brushes were synthetic, boar, badger or a combination often called cased badger but I never saw designations like "Best Badger" or "Silvertip Badger".

In the image below all the brushes are well over a half century old. Note the variety of knot shapes and sizes in relation to the handles.

proxy.php

Personally, I think it looks perfect. I like a lofty brush. A Manchurian set much deeper would be way too scrubby for my taste. I know that many like less loft than me but you should know that what you have is ideal in the minds of some.

Top Bottom