What's new

Advice on purchasing a laser boresight

I pride myself on being an excellent researcher of products but this particular product has me stumped.

From the $10 laser boresights all the way up to the $100+ laser boresights, the critical reviews are consistent; "laser is not accurate," "laser can't be seen past 25yds," and "batteries and/or unit died almost immediately and manufacturer will not replace."

Seriously guys... what gives? Am I wasting my time trying to use a laser boresight? Should I just eat the cost of ammo instead?

Serious replies welcomed and thanks in advance.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have two low end ones. It's a useful tool and costs little.

Used it on a carbine once, went to range, and needed no adjustment to the scope at all. Generally they just get you on paper!

AA

Welp... that pretty well answers my question. I kinda came to the conclusion that all it does is get you on paper, but that's not even an issue as far as I'm concerned. Thanks fellas.

My eyes have gotten to the point that I cannot see a distant target by looking through the bore. I got one of the types that uses an o ring and a tapered shaft to center the laser in the bore. I first did a Swedish Mauser with a scout scope . Scope was way off but there was enough adjustment in the base to get very close to laser point, the to exact point with scope adjustments. First shots on paper at 25 yards were about 1/4"off, quick adjustment then some final adjustements at 100 yards.

All ANY kind of bore sight is supposed to do is to get you on the paper. It would make a lot of gunsmiths happy if more people understood this and didn't come back mad when they miss their big whatever.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've always used the old style with a caliber specific spindle and an optical grid that you align the scope reticle with. Works fine for standard bolt action rifles with standard scopes, but some applications require something different. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the laser gizmos, but like the OP, have been put off by poor reviews.

Top Bottom