What's new

Advice on next step

hello all,

I've been a DE convert now
For a few months. The first razor I bought was a Merkur Bakelite, the red and black one. I then tried using my fathers old super adjustable, which was good. Now I don't have a problem with either razor, except I can't keep on taking my fathers razor, and I feel as if my Bakelite razor is much too light, and not aggressive enough for my beard type. I need to buff with my Bakelite to achieve my desired shave result. Now I was wondering if I were to get a new razor, which direction should I move in considering my razor experience and given that my technique allows me to shave well with both those razors. My thought would be to simply get a 34c, but from what I've read it is similar in aggressiveness to my Bakelite, although the weight difference may be what I need.. thank you.

Hello,

Parker Variant would fit nicely. Mild to wild depending where you set it. Smooth as silk and grippy to boot. At only $57.00 it doesn't take a lot of loot!
One of the best razors on the market right now.

Cheers
John

IMG_0237.JPG

The Merkur Bakelite is light weight, yes, but it also is surprisingly aggressive! I too have a coarse and tough beard and my whiskers and the Merkur Bakelite razor get along amazingly well.

The Merkur 34C is heavier, yes, but it is not as aggressive as the Bakelite.

If you like adjustable razors, I invite you to get a Merkur Progress adjustable razor. It is outstanding, and offers the shaver the theoretical option of 10 levels of aggressiveness in one razor.

Buy an Adjustable (any model) off eBay in good condition. Cheaper any any new razor, and if you like your father's, there are dozens available. Why mess with a good thing?

You might also consider the Fatip. Open comb, fairly aggressive, solid brass (rare in today's world of Zamak razors) and a great buy at under $30. If you read older forum accounts on the Fatip, you'll see reports of poor QC and fearsome aggression. Both of those issues have been mitigated in the current production versions. The cap has been widened a very small amount, helping tame the harshness but still yielding a very efficient razor. And, Fatip's QC has improved markedly so incidences of plating flaws and blade alignment problems have been greatly reduced. Still, buy one from a reputable domestic vendor so if you do get a rare dud, it can be addressed quickly and painlessly. I recommend the good folks at Maggard.

You might also consider the Fatip. Open comb, fairly aggressive, solid brass (rare in today's world of Zamak razors) and a great buy at under $30. If you read older forum accounts on the Fatip, you'll see reports of poor QC and fearsome aggression. Both of those issues have been mitigated in the current production versions. The cap has been widened a very small amount, helping tame the harshness but still yielding a very efficient razor. And, Fatip's QC has improved markedly so incidences of plating flaws and blade alignment problems have been greatly reduced. Still, buy one from a reputable domestic vendor so if you do get a rare dud, it can be addressed quickly and painlessly. I recommend the good folks at Maggard.
I'm assuming choosing between the grande and piccolo would be a matter of preference?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm assuming choosing between the grande and piccolo would be a matter of preference?
Absolutely. There's love for both handles here.

May I suggest getting a super adjustable of your own! Father knows best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, the difference is the handle; same head, so the business end is the same. The Grande handle is hollow and larger; the Piccolo is solid and smaller. Personal preference, but I like the Grande.

Gillette New would probably fit the bill. You might check out the RR German 37 slant too. For $20 it's hard to beat. If you find you really dig it you can step up to the Wunderbar which is an amazing machine.

Gillette New would probably fit the bill. You might check out the RR German 37 slant too. For $20 it's hard to beat. If you find you really dig it you can step up to the Wunderbar which is an amazing machine.
Would you consider the wunderbar an aggressive shaver?

Ming Shi 2000s wold be my recommendation. $12 from Maggards. It is an adjustable (it's a Merkur Futur clone), and is capable of going very aggressive if that's what you want. It is well built and has been getting a ton of love on these forums, and if you don't like it you are only out 12 dollars and can get something else. But I have a slim adjustable, as well as other new and vintage razors, and Ming Shi is my current favorite. YMMV.

I suggest either a Slim or a Merkur 34HD if you want a modern razor. But tough to argue with any of the suggestions above.

I suggest either a Slim or a Merkur 34HD if you want a modern razor. But tough to argue with any of the suggestions above.
I'm wondering if the 34c will be a step above what I already have or if I'll be disappointed by its performance.

Top Bottom