What's new

Advice on muscle gain supplements

Like RichGem, over the years I've whittled down my supplements to what actually works for me. Protein, creatine and fish oil are pretty much it now. Sometimes I'll take ZMA for a while too if I remember to pick it up. Over the last 3-4 months I've been taking Animal Pak Flex with very good results. It's inexpensive, primarily glucosamine and chondroitin, and I have significantly less joint pain. I'll need a few more months to be convinced but it's promising.

I am a big fan of http://scoobysworkshop.com/. It's a free site run by a near 50 year old man in phenomenal shape. He gives his advice and opinions based on his 30 some-odd years of bodybuilding. I like his tips and have been following some of his advice, particularly on weight loss. Check out some of his stuff on muscle gain.

Thank you very much for posting this site. I think it's great. :thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
Yeah add creatine. Tribulus is also good for a natural testosterone boost.

I was told by some guys at the gym (who looked like they knew what they were talking about) that tribulus boosts a different type of testosterone and is more useful for increasing sex drive than for muscle growth. They said it had little benefit when it came to body building. Personally I did not notice a huge boost when I was taking it although I did notice some problems with mood swings and depression when I stopped. Just FYI. The only supplement I have had much success with has been creatine.

I was told by some guys at the gym (who looked like they knew what they were talking about) that tribulus boosts a different type of testosterone and is more useful for increasing sex drive than for muscle growth. They said it had little benefit when it came to body building.

Sounds like pure BroScience (on their part) to me. There are few if any controlled studies that show Tribulus increases test levels in individuals.

Take care.

Sounds like pure BroScience (on their part) to me. There are few if any controlled studies that show Tribulus increases test levels in individuals.

Take care.

I'm going to modify my post somewhat as I did a bit of digging and found my comment may not be accurate. Robb Wolf (in one of his podcasts) indicated that Tribulus may be effective in boosting testosterone short-term. So there may be zero controlled studies, but as Rob knows his stuff, I'll go with that.

BTW, if you are at all concerned about performance, I'd recommend you listen to his podcast, The Paelo Solution (on iTunes, free). Mostly a discussion of how our eating patterns affect athletic performance and longevity.

You might want to add 2500 mg. of l-Leucine to your shake. It is a BCAA which will boost the muscle mass.

Ken
Martin Berkhan (Leangains) recommends a pre workout shake of BCAAs 1 hour before a workout. Seems to work for me.

As far as nutrition and supplements go, few people on the web actually have the expertise or the background to give advice, IMHO. Two people that seem to know what they are talking about (in my mind) are Robb Wolf and Mat Lalonde. They both happen to be biochemists as well.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom