What's new

Advice on modifying my bench block for peening...

I got a bench block for Christmas and as I put the finishing touches on a new set of scales I'm trying to add a divot to it for peening purposes. I don't have a drill press and laying into the damn thing with all my body weight on a cordless drill hardly made a dent, much less a polished dimple suitable for peening.

Any advice on how to get this setup easier?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• $Bench Block.jpg
    $Bench Block.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 129
  • $Scales 2.jpg
    $Scales 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 129

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hey that looks really nice. My block is all rough and rusted out....I always plan on lapping one side but never do it...
You don't need high speed to drill into metal...just a sharp bit. If you can find a 1/16 cobalt bit and use slow speed and moderate pressure it should drill nicely. Highspeedsteel should work too, but at 1/16 the cobalt is cheap enough, and much tougher than the HSS.

GL!

There must be someone close by with a drill press. A machine shop even. Your not using the right bit if all your weight won't put a dimple in it. Go buy one of those
diamond burr bits but don't bear down hard on it. Also your pin is a tad on the long side :lol:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Center punch? New bit? oil, or water, dripped onto the drill site? Also it is possible that if you have been trying to drill one specific spot that you have "work hardened" that spot. Move over a bit.

I would say that this is a bit issue also. I don't care what kind of steel it is if you have a sharp bit you are going to make some noticeable progress. Get you a decent bit and use some type of oil to lube it, you don't need a lot of pressure, and that ballnose end mill probably won't spin fast enough in a hand drill to do anything but break the cutting off. Just my 2 cents.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I personally like a deeper hole than some might otherwise prefer since i like to file down the cut end a bit more to height. Its more of a hole than a dimple for me but YMMV.

Center punch with oil or coolant as stated may be all you need. If that doesn't do it, then a new bit may be required. I always let the bit do the work, if you have to push that hard you may end up snapping the bit. Mine drilled easier, but it is brass.

Is that a block of Unobtanium? Can you describe what it smells like?

If you have a bench grinder with grey wheels, have you tried sharpening the drill?

BTW, you would have a devil of a time keeping a ball end mill on location without the aid of a milling machine, or at bare minimum a vice that could be clamped to the table of a drill press.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll try the center punch & I think I have some tapping fluid around here which should work for coolant. I just thought for a dimple that was kind of overkill.

The block is just a 4x4x3/4 piece of O1 tool steel, nothing fancy.

take a ball peen and place the ball against the block where you want the dimple,strike the ball peen with a bigger hammer as hard as you think needed to make the dimple as deep as you want it.the hammer is harder than the bock and should dent it.as always please use caution and wear the proper safety gear.ie;safety galsses ect.also YMMV

3/32nd's Diamond bur ball for a rotary tool. Only go as deep as the amount you want the peened pin to stick above the washer.

Yes because the finish of the peening dimple affects how smooth the final peened surface is right?
Not necessarily, because you will continue to "tap" the surface of the pin on both sides while using the dimple in the steel. To start flattening the pin, you would continue peening on the flat surface of the steel until the pin is "spread" concentrically to the washer and to the diameter you like. Buffing the pin with a felt or cotton wheel with compound actually does the shiny part and evens out the surface of the pin head to a degree.

Yeah I'll try the center punch & I think I have some tapping fluid around here which should work for coolant. I just thought for a dimple that was kind of overkill.

The block is just a 4x4x3/4 piece of O1 tool steel, nothing fancy.

that should be sliced into 1/4" pieces and turned into beautiful razors......

i love 01 ....

Top Bottom