What's new

Advice on first hone

Hi guys, I got into straight shaving a few months ago and have found it quite addictive! What started as one straight has turned into a handful. Anyway, I feel like I have a good grasp for what a nice edge feels like and a few of my razors are starting to pull.

I have acquired all of my razors in shave ready condition. I have been maintaining with a pasted balsa strop but that isn't improving the edge anymore. So at this point I feel like it is time to invest in a legit hone. I've already done a fair amount of research and am looking at the Naniwa SS 12k. My question is, will the Naniwa 12k be able to bring the razors that are pulling back to a proper edge, or will I need to start at the 8k range and work up to the 12k?

Thanks, looking forward to some advice!

I'm not a big fan of Naniwa SS, but a12K Nanny is a great touch up stone and a decent finisher if you should decide to build a progression. For about another $20 you can get a 15K Shapton pro. I sold my SS12 and now have a full progression of Shapton pros. Love em.

The answer is (yes) with enough skill and time. Provided the edges are not damaged, say badly rolled on the strop or impact damage.
There are many stones that will provide an adequate refresh to an edge that has just fallen off provided you know how to use said stone.
I suggest finding a honing mentor, your learning curve is apt to be much shorter and you face will thank you.

I realy like the Naniwa snow white flake 8K for this kind of minimal honing. I've used one under running water until the blade stats to drag a bit and then I'll strop on untreated linen and untreated leather. Now if you add your balsa into the brew I think the edge will be there. I seriously prefer the 8k snow white flake instead of the Nani 12k but that's just one opinion on the matter...

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hi guys, I got into straight shaving a few months ago and have found it quite addictive! What started as one straight has turned into a handful. Anyway, I feel like I have a good grasp for what a nice edge feels like and a few of my razors are starting to pull.

I have acquired all of my razors in shave ready condition. I have been maintaining with a pasted balsa strop but that isn't improving the edge anymore. So at this point I feel like it is time to invest in a legit hone. I've already done a fair amount of research and am looking at the Naniwa SS 12k. My question is, will the Naniwa 12k be able to bring the razors that are pulling back to a proper edge, or will I need to start at the 8k range and work up to the 12k?

Thanks, looking forward to some advice!

Something is not right with your balsa stropping. I never have to re-hone. Ever. How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop .

But yes, if the razor will still shave but just not as well as it should, a 12k Nanny will bring it back just fine. Make sure the stone is nice and flat. Hone in hand, not resting on a bench. Don't pre soak, but do keep it nice and wet as you hone. Finish with VERY light pressure. You will feel a LOT of stiction as the bevel gets a polish and the apex reforms. That's when you know to start using the lightest possible pressure. After a bit of very light honing, you can rinse all traces of slurry off and add lather to the stone and take things to a whole new level. Lather forms a buffer that reduces the depth that the stone can cut. Lighter pressure equals shallower scratches. It will eventually feel like the razor is not even in contact with the stone. That's what you are looking for. Because contact is so faint when using lather and ultralight pressure, you will need lots of laps to make a difference.

I once had all sort of bevel setters, and the whole progression of film. Now I just have a 12k and two identical razors, totally different way of doing it then when I first started.

When I first started I dove in, head first. Got a variety of bevel setters, and the whole progression of film. It was fun, but no matter what- I was never able to reach the edges I experienced by one of our members. So I ended up throwing in the towel (multiple times, haha). My most current attempt at getting back into straights was to have only 2 identical straights and a 12k. Figured if I just shaved vs trying to hone a perfect edge it would be more enjoyable. It's definitely a different way to go.. and when the edge cant be brought back with the 12k, I either buy backwards (opposed to my initial buying spree early on) and get an 8k, or just simply send them off and get that amazing edge again. If you decide on the N12k let me know. I'll prob end up breaking up my for sale package shortly.

I would second trying to find a honing mentor. My first try at honing was a disater. But stick with it the results are worth it

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom