What's new

Advice on brushes

Expensive brushes are overrated and unnecessary. By all means experiment with badger, boar, synthetic, whatever to find what you like, but there's no need to spend a lot of money. You could get a decent lather with a toothbrush to be honest. If your shave isn't very pleasant it's not the brush. Try different amounts of water vs soap/cream. If your lather is too watery just keep going with the brush. Too dry is worse. Too wet then it might drop on the floor, but so what?

"It is difficult for me to imagine such soft brushes penetrating the skin as deep as a harder brush."

Why would you want the brush to penetrate your skin?

The brush doesn't exfoliated or soften the whiskers. At least none of mine have, which I consider a positive.

They load and apply soap/cream with different feel, but that's about it. I favor soft, luxurious brushes. That can be a well broken in $30 boar or a $200 badger. Soft brushes work for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Inspired by the brush threads on B&B, I acquired a nice soft Yaqi "Sagrada Familia".
I have not used it yet, but am curious about something.
You picked wisely, that brush has the 24mm tuxedo knot and one of my favorites. You should enjoy it and has cloud like soft tips, great lather generator and excellent lather painter. Well broke in boar brush will give any brush a run for its money also IMO.
Enjoy your new brush! Yaqi #1 Tuxedo knot Sagrada Familia 24mm (4).jpg

I suggest you try a few options to decide what works for you. For me, the answer is badger (after all, we call this site ‘Badger and Blade’). But I also appreciate well broken in boar brushes. Others prefer synthetic, horse or combinations.

Having tons of options is part of the appeal of ’traditional’ wet shaving IMO! :a29:

Top Bottom